Skip to content
Dr. P
NeNe_11 posted:
Hello & Happy Tuesday!
Dr. P,

I have fibro & I just had my Vit D levels checked last week & it was at 30. Ive read that that is "normal" but that 80 is what we should strive for. Is this true?

Do you think that I should ask my Dr. to prescribe Vitd for me or do you think my level of 30 is ok & just to continue taking my current sups which include Calcium w/d3 & Magnesium?
Thanks,
Denise

elizabeth1304 responded:
Hi Denise
I had my Vit D level checked six weeks ago and it was very low. Forgot the number (fibro fog) but it was somewhere around 10 -13. I started taking 50,000 units weekly and will have it checked again soon but I can definitely tell a difference in that deep leg pain even though he said it would take longer than this to make a difference. They are striving to get mine to at least 80. If you have deep leg pain, I would definitely ask for a prescription of Vit D.
Hope you feel better soon.
Beth in AL

NeNe_11 replied to elizabeth1304's response:
Yes, I do have deep aching pain throughout my legs all of the time. Im glad to hear that the extra vit d is helping you!
Thanks,
Denise

Dollbug responded:
Hello Denise.....not Dr. P....MiMi in NC....I did want to tell you though.....that the normal level varies....just depending what you are reading or who you are talking to....and I can not, for the life of me, understand just how much it varies.....perhaps you do not need the prescription dosage but I would have thought the your doctor would have told you what dosage you needed to take....your level is on the very low end of what is considered....and actually too low and some things that I have read...

My level was in the low 40's and my doctor told me that it was still too low....so with that being said....if I were you...I would do my own research...

I know that the doctor my daughter went to....told her that she wanted her around 80 plus.....and she also indicated that the reason she has gained so much weight....is due to her Vitamin D level....

Take care and good luck....I am sure Dr. P will chime in....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

1wareaglefan responded:
I'm glad to see this post....I read it after I replied to Beth's post to Mimi. I asked the questions that you all answered here!

So....it looks like mine is somewhat low, too! (37)
Should I take it upon myself to buy some over the counter?

Thanks ....ELizabeth

NeNe_11 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
It great to see that increasing vit d has helped so many people with fibro! Im not being overly enthusiastic, but it certainly gives me hope!
Denise

Dollbug replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Hello Elizabeth....again....this actually proves just what I have been saying....and it is funny...that the more research you do on Vitamin D ....the more conflict the info seems to be....my level was on the low level also....but mine was higher than the high 30's.....

So...with this being said....I will tell you that I made a judgement call myself....as my doctor seemed to have a problem with talking to me about how much I should / should not take....and I now take over the counter....I might not take it every day.....but I am taking a lot less than 50,000 iu...but more than the 1,000 iu.....

There are some days that I can "feel" that it is time to increase what I am taking....

I am sorry but I think we FMers must sometime use our own best judgement on things....as I have learned many years ago....

I also take the magnesium and malate combination supplement, Calcium, and Vitamin D together...or at least close to each other....and right before bedtime....these, I have read, actually work together in our bodies...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

1wareaglefan replied to Dollbug's response:
Thank you, Mimi....what frustrates me is that most of our doctors don't know about this, and we're having to educate them.

I am going to increase what I've been taking....I'll keep you posted on how it helps!

Take care....Elizabeth

NeNe_11 replied to Dollbug's response:
Mimi,
Im just curious-hows does one actually get 50,000iu's of Vit D into their diet? Are there supplements with very high doses or does one have to take a million pills each day? It seems as if that would be difficult.
Thanks for all of your knowledge,
Denise

Dollbug replied to NeNe_11's response:
Hello NeNe....MiMi in NC....the doctor must prescribe the 50,000 iu of Vitamin D....I know that I could not hardly believe that this was possible...and the funny thing is...the pill is not that big and mine was in a gel form....the doctors though seem to have a problem with providing this to patients....

Like Elizabeth stated....we are having to educate them on Vitamin D and how important it is for us....especially FMers...

I am so glad that more and more people are finally becoming aware of just how important the Vitamin D is....as I think this is one of the main things which cause all of us so much pain...this is only my opinion....and it might not be this for everyone...but I do know that it made a BIG difference for me...

So, depending upon what your level is....perhaps your doctor will provide you with the prescription for it...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

NeNe_11 replied to Dollbug's response:
Mimi,
I found some Vit D3 at WallyWorld(Walmart), they are 5000iu gel caps. I guess taking 4 of those a day is as good a place to start as any-my doc doesnt think I need any(my level was 30 something).

Denise

Dollbug replied to NeNe_11's response:
Hello Denise.....MiMi in NC...I am not a doctor but......I do not think that I would take 4 a day...because that would give you 20,000 a day.....I do not think that the doctors prescribe the 50,000 iu per day.....but if I were you.....I would take one a day for a while and just see if this makes a difference in how you feel and then when you go back and get your Vitamin D level checked again....hopefully it will be at a higher level....you might just want to check with your pharmacy department also....someone there can surely advise you on this....as they know a lot about vitamins and supplements also....it is interesting that I have seen the 5,000 iu also....

And I do not think this has always been available over the counter for people to just buy it.....but I do think you will benefit from it...

Take care and good luck....

MiMi

cj0611 replied to Dollbug's response:
Based on info I read here, I started taking the 5,000 iu Vitamin D gel capsules a few weeks ago - one/day and my calcium has 600 vitamin D and my multi has 1,000. It seems to be helping me. I have never had my levels checked so I don't know if I was low or not but I do notice a decrease in the pain. I would think that two a day would be safe while trying to get your levels up to normal but I agree four a day - not so good without talking to a dr.

annette030 replied to cj0611's response:
I am not sure why you would take it if you haven't even been tested? Everything I have read says that most people have normal levels, and that it is an easy test to have done to decide if you need supplementation.

I had the test, and my level was in the lower range of normal, but it was within the normal range. My doc told me to try taking 2,000 units per day if I wanted to, and I am. I have not noticed any significant change that I can ascribe to that supplement. I am glad it seems to be helping you.

The test is no big deal, I would want to know where I stood as a baseline anyway.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.