Skip to content
to Dr. P concerning vitamin
elizabeth1304 posted:
Dear Dr. P,
What is considered a normal vitamin D level? Mine is somewhere around 12. I am taking 50,00 units of Vitamin D weekly and even though my dr told me it would take awhile to "kick in", I can already feel the deep leg pain that by the way drives me INSANE is improving. Also, I have severe headaches and disc disease in my neck (2 surgeries). I cannot stand all of this pain without taking hydrocodone. Can you explain the difference between addiction and dependency?
Thanks
Beth in AL

angelswife responded:
Hi Beth,
I'm not Dr. P, but I can offer my own thoughts. Hope they help a little.

From what I've learned, a "normal" Vitamin D level can be anywhere from 30-100. But even 30 is considered low in a lot of people, especially those of us with Fibro. Vitamin D3 seems to work best as a supplement, as this is the type our bodies produce naturally.---Make sure to check some of the other posts---there has been a lot of talk about D lately. Read the posts by Dollbug (Mimi) especially---she is considered our resident expert on the subject.

As for dependency vs addiction: my own take is, dependency is when you need something to help you get through a bad day but you don't need it every single day. Addiction happens when whatever you need is all you can think about; you come up with dishonest ways to get it (or you fake pain to get more); you panic when you don't have it, and you go through withdrawl if you miss one dose. Remember though that this is just my definition---I'm sure other people will contribute their own thoughts on the subject. :-)

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 214 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.