Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newly diagnosed
tiredpain posted:
I'm a 43 yr. old RN and I injured my lower back 11 yrs. ago and have been in severe pain ever since. Now I have been newly dx with fibro. and hurt all over, can't concentrate and can't remember anything. It's embarassing not being able to remember common words for things and dates when I used to have a steel trap mind. I have applied for disability last June and just got denied in Jan. Now I am appealing with a lawyer's help. I know this is going to be a long battle which I'm really not up for. I'm getting really depressed not only due to my med. condition but also the fact that we are broke because I'm not working and my husb. is working the only job he could find which pays $8/hr. I'm about to lose my med. insurance and I'm so stressed, worried, anxious that I don't know how I can make it through all this. The future looks bleak, painful,broke, dark and lonely.

angelldakota responded:
Hi Tiredpain... Welcome to the wonderful place where you will find help... You can stop feeling alone and lonely for you aren't alone anymore... Here you have found many who know your pain and know of your depression... We also know and can relate to feeling that the future can look bleak... painful... broke...dark... and lonely... just like you... In fact during a real bad flare I still fall into feeling like that sometimes...

Being stressed and anxious is bad for us so the best thing for us to do is come here and vent... here no one is going to yell at us and tell us we shouldn't feel like that... We are good listeners and there is a great amount of compassion here... you will find understanding and supporting friends that are like family... We are family... a FM family... so come and vent away...

To the right of this you will see the boxes marked resources and tips... under them are special messages there are two that we always tell newcomers to read... One is called nutrition and vitamins... and the other one is called members toolbox... In them you might find some things that might help you deal with FM better and easier then you are now... especially in members toolbox... it was written by members about what has worked for them...

Remember this is a trial and trial process... what works for one may not work for the other... don't give up just please keep trying... and if the side effects aren't unbearable try to give what ever you do 6 to 8 weeks to kick in and see if they will work...

Check with your dr and have him check your vitamin d also... you will have to ask for this test for it isn't one that is normally run... low vitamin d can cause us more pain... Our pain doesn't need any help... lol..

I am sure I am missing something... I know others will be running thru soon and welcome you... Bless you hun with all the prayers in the world... I will keep you in my thoughts and in my prayers...
Take care... Bless you... Love in Christ... Jan

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome......MiMi in NC....I am so sorry that you are not feeling better....the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....is a very ugly and mean illness to deal with....I do hope though that you will proceed with your disability....it is so very sad when we are sick and then have to fight to get the benefits that we are entitled to once we can no longer work...this only puts more stress on our bodies and just makes things for us worse...

I hope that you will check out the info under "Tips" and "Resources" to the right of this page....there you will find some good "tools and tips" that you might try to help you cope better....be sure and read "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins"....

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is so important for a lot of us FMers....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for us and can also affect other issues as well....this is a simple blood test....but you MUST ASK the doctor to check it...as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that they commonly do....

I am sure that you will find something that will help you cope better with your pain....but it does take a trial and error process to do so....which does take time and effort also...there are no quick fixes.....I have learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well...

We do have several nurses on board here who also have FM...so I am sure that they will offer you some advice as well....

Take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

wendogal responded:
Welcome tiredpain,

It is wonderful to have you join our board. I wish I could make it all go away. How similar our stories all seem to be. Lots of nurses having fibro. I wonder if it is because we give so much of ourselves? I am an LPN w/DDD cervial stenosis, fibro and a bunch more. Major stresses as well: divorce, emotional breakdown, disability (I hired a lawyer also). I am happily remarried but we have two mortgages with one income. Your note touches my heart. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please remember you are not alone. We all have a purpose. It may be different from our former purpose, but there is one. The darkness will fade. Hold strong and keep the faith. You can make it through. You vent all you need to. We are here for you.
Gentle hugs, support and inspiration!!!! God bless America, God bless us all. Wendy

xperky responded:
Hi tiredpain,

Your post touched me. I'm so sorry you are feeling so down. And it sounds like there is a lot of stress in your life right now! As you know, that makes the pain even worse and harder to overcome.

That feeling of embarassment is horrible. I used to have a sharp mind too, but now it's hard to communicate some days. Just stumble over the words, or get stuck trying to come up with the right word. Sometimes when I reflect on a conversation, I'll realize I said something silly and it's way too late to fix it! Awful.

We've had tough times financially too. At first I tried to be positive and took it as a challenge to find ways to save money everywhere. Now it's just gotten old and tiring. Always pinching pennies. Never indulging in extras or niceties. I have to remember to be thankful we have the basics and each other, and even our cats, who we love so much.

I hope the appeal for disability is successful. It seems they hardly ever approve the initial request.

I'm sending feelings of warmth, caring and light your way.

Margaret

tiredpain replied to angelldakota's response:
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I will have to check out the resources listed. 1 problem I have is no insurance and virtually no way to pay for the meds the Dr. prescribes. I need to go back and f/u but no way to cover any blood tests, etc. Please pray that my husband gets another job with better pay and that offers insurance. For the last few yrs. it seems like everything in our world goes wrong and you add in the severe back pain and the fibro pain and the depression, etc it has really been getting me down. Nothing positive has happened in our lives for yrs. I just want to curl up in a ball on my bed and be left alone. I have prayed several times to God and asked Him just to take me out of this world which is proving too much for me. I mean, I injured my back and learned I would have severe back pain for the rest of my life, that I would never be able to have children,that I would never work full time again and not part time unless the job is catered to my needs,that there are many household chores I can't do,that I can't sit, walk or stand more than 10-15 min at a time, on and on.We've used up all our savings, no insurance, then I get fibro, my hubby lost his job then got 1 that doesn't pay the bills and I caan't work and help out. I feel like a bad luck charm, a useless one that complains of pain all the time. I'm sorry to complain so much but I'm in the worst, most stressful time ever of my life and I'm not dealing with stuff very well now.

Dollbug replied to tiredpain's response:
Hello.....MiMi in NC....I do want to tell you that there are ways that might make it possible to get help with your prescriptions....I have helped a neighbor of mine...who does not have a job and is unable to work anyway...he should be getting help but we have tried to get SSI for him....(long story here also) But I have managed to get help for the medicine that he is on....and he goes to a clinic also and is not charged for his visits...now....I do not know what state you live in...but I am sure that you should have some sort of benefits for medicines....

You can probably find this kind of information on line....because that is how I found him help...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.