Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Has anyone been on Savella? Did you become very ANGRY?
wesleyandbustersmom posted:
My Dr. changed my meds from Cymbalta to Savella. I work full time and have had fibro for almost 40 years at least my Dr. thinks so. I am acting like a lunatic! I yelled at my dog, almost ran a guy off the freeway for tailgating me, got angry at my boss and almost quit my job...Help! Already called Dr. Am being gradually taken off. Thanks! Linda

beaderfrendzy responded:
Linda, are you being taken off the Cymbalta or the Savella. I just made an appointment to see my Dr to ask about getting off Cymbalta and change to Savella. I was not sure which one of these you were stating that made you act like a lunatic.
Mrs. J.T.

beaderfrendzy responded:
Ok, I feel stupid. I now see your header. I am going to wait and see other replies. I don't like being angry! I know, some meds react different to other people. I dont like taking Cymbalta, I cant sleep on it. The doc put me on Flexeril to help me sleep, but I still do not get a good nite sleep, until the Cymbalta is out of my system, then boy, I will sleep all day.
Mrs. J.T.

grammie4life responded:
Good morning...I was on Savella several months ago...but I only took it for 3 days...I became very agitated...the least little thing would set me off!! Good thing I was taking samples the dr. gave me. I would have really been agitated if I had paid for a whole months supply. I know everyone reacts differently to different meds, but Savella is not for me.

I was on Cymbalta before the Savella...I took it for several weeks...but after about a week I would wake up in the night & hear a "swooshing" noise in my ears...it drove me nuts. And I would feel like ice water was running through my body. Didn't like the side effects at all...nor the expense.

Then my dr. had me try Lyrica...OMG!!! I took one pill & quit. It gave me heart palpatations & I was extremely dizzy.

Hopefully, the Savella will help you. It has been good for some.

Have a great day & God bless,
Debbie
Debbie

1wareaglefan replied to grammie4life's response:
Hey, Debbie....I was interested to read your post. I hope you see this....I also couldn't take cymbalta or savella, becaue they both made me agitated and unable to sleep. I've never tried lyrica, due to the weight gain side effect, plus just reading of the other side effects.

I'm curious about what you are taking, if you don't mind my personal question. Have you found something to help you besides the "typical fibro drugs?"

Thanks for answering......Elizabeth

NeNe_11 replied to beaderfrendzy's response:
Mrs. J.T.,
I used to take 120mgs of Cymbalta for fibro & it gave me terrible insomnia from the first day I took it(which was only at 30mgs!)
Just something to keep in mind-Savella is the same class of drug as ,so there is a good chance it may have the same side effect on your sleep. But all people react to drugs differently.
Good Luck!
Denise

mrsshepard2010 replied to grammie4life's response:
ok i have tried 2 of the 3 and now that im reading what u guys r posting about cymbalta im not to sure i want to try it. i need help i hurt so much. i just want to beheld by my hubby and not want to cry can someone please help me.

xperky replied to mrsshepard2010's response:
mrsshepard, as I'm sure you know, your doc is the best one to recommend drugs to try because everyone's body is unique. I agree though, it is scarey to try new drugs. I had side effects from Savella after 3 half pills, mostly nausea. Some weird dreams second night, and metallic taste in mouth. Some people say it really helps them. So we are all different.

I'm glad your hubby holds you for comfort! Mine is a good hugger too. He tries to understand and listen to my complaints, bless his heart. He has even helped a little bit when I don't feel up to this or that.

I am new here, but feel like everyone wants to help. It's nice to know you're not alone.

Gentle hugs your way,
Margaret

grammie4life replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Good morning, Elizabeth...sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, but I have been using some of my time at work to post...that will stop come Monday...the boss will be back. All 3 of us in this office will not be on the internet as much during the day.

Anyway...since I am unable to take Cymbalt, Savella or Lyrica...I am not taking anything at the moment. I wanted my doc to put me on another antidepressant (I am taking Zoloft & have been on it for about 13 years...I honestly believe it has just run its course with me)...that is when she strongly urged me to try the Lyrica (I, too, was in fear of the weight gain possibility) before changing the antidepressant. I told her I felt my depression was the major issue here...she felt it was the pain. So, to appease her, I tried the Lyrica really hoping it would help with the pain & depression...I decided I would worry about the weight gain later, if it happened. But since I experienced bad side effects on Lyrica, I am not taking any medication yet. I called the doc's office & let them know about the heart palpitations & extreme dizziness...but she said to continue taking it for a while longer...I didn't have the heart (or should I say I didn't have the NERVE) to tell her I had already disposed of the samples she had given me. So, because I am a little ashamed of tossing the Lyrica, I just haven't called her to discuss this any further.

But, to finally to answer your question (sorry for rambling), all I am taking right now is vit D, omega3, zoloft (which as I said is not working nearly as well as it was years ago), clonazapam at night to help with sleep. I will take an occasional Excedrin (Tylenol does nothing for pain for me) if I have a really bad headache. But, let me also say, I am not in a good place right now because I think I need a better antidepressant and/or pain reliever. There is a tremendous amount of stress in this office (no exaggeration...we all are stressed...but that is a story I really can't get into) & it is taking a toll on me, my mind & my body. It is so bad, my doc suggested I look for another job...yeah, right!...in this economy?

I hope I answered your question without boring you too much...I love "talking" to my FMily. If you have any other questions, as you know, I will be more than happy to answer.

Hope you have a really good day.

God bless,
Debbie
Debbie

beegold422 responded:
Dear Linda,
I was put on a trial of Savella. And, yes, I noticed I became Very Angry. Knowing my body, I knew I was reacting to the medication!! So, you are not alone. I've learned to listen to my body. It is usually right on with what's going on with me at the time!!
Barb

3littlebirds81 replied to beegold422's response:
I was put on Savella while taking 90 mg of Cymbalta. I did not have any relief after a month and a half. I did, however, have the side effects...lethargic & angry. I was taken off the Savella and put on 120 mg of Cymbalta. I have been taking this alongside pain relief as needed (Tramadol, Flexiril, etc.). I'm curious as to what other options are out there. I do not want to be put on a pain patch or other strong addictive pills. I am a mommy of a 14 month old & a full time teacher of 2nd graders. I miss many days a year at work and am docked the pay. Also, my insurance isn't paying for the Cymbalta. Anyone have advice or tips?

1wareaglefan replied to grammie4life's response:
Hey, Debbie...thanks for answering. I understand about zoloft fizzling out on you. I have to change my antidepressant every few years. I switched about a year ago from zoloft to prozac. Actually I started out with prozac about 15 years, so I guess I'm back at the top of the batting order!

The prozac helps a lot with my mood. Then I take all the recommended vitamins/minerals for fibro, plus I take lortab for pain. That combo works pretty well for me. I'm not pain-free, but I can manage.

I need to do something better for sleep. Right now I just take .25 of xanax at night. I hate to start on a sleeping pill....I just don't know. I don't do well with muscle relaxers....I've thought about melatonin. We'll see.

Thanks again....talk to you later.....Elizabeth

mrsshepard2010 replied to xperky's response:
thank you so much i know we r all different. i just know the docs up here in wyoming will ask me what i think is best for my body and i already have a temper so im afried to take anything that can make it worse. i was just seeing if anyone else has tried the cymbalta and not wanted to kill someone lol. that and the hubby and i r tring to get pregnant to and the doc said that i could take savella but i cant to that and work to. i have been off meds for a year now and it is just getting worse

Tricia07345 replied to mrsshepard2010's response:
I have been on Cymbalta now for two years. It has been a miracle worker for me. I also take Lyrica. People are so different in how they respond to medications. I urge you to give it a try; it has given me my life back. I no longer have to take 8 Oxycodone tablets a day just to survive. I said a prayer for you; take good care. I'm so glad you have a sweet hubby who holds you. Touch is healing too. have you tried some soft music, something you like? That also helps me. God bless...

ChippewaJoe responded:
I found that Savella and a number of similar drugs increased my depression to the point of considering suicide. My doctore pulled me off the drugs and I improved. I did not feel that anger you talked about. Good luck Linda.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.