Skip to content
Recently Diagnosed-Need Advice
Wyldspirit1 posted:
After probably 10 years of suspecting that I had either fibromyalgia or RSD, I finally got diagnosed about a month and a half ago, and sure enough, it's fibro. Which, despite being glad to finally have a diagnosis, it's been hard because it took that little bit of hope away that they would figure out what was wrong and be able to fix it. The diagnosis came on the heels of a bunch of other new diagnoses (just got insurance for the first time in years) so of course it threw me into a terrible flare.

My question is, I've had horrendous back pain that radiates down my leg for months that I thought was related to a slipped disc (I also have degenerative disc disease) however a recent MRI shows only a slightly bulging disc that shouldn't be causing any symptoms. My doc doesn't seem very interested in pursuing what exactly is the issue and why these symptoms are getting worse and not better or really even treating the issue and I'm to the point where I can't function.

I know I need to find a new doc who will actually listen and be proactive.

But I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of mystery, long term, I assume it's some sort of extreme muscle spasm along with a neuropathy (since I'm having pain, numbness and weakness down one leg) and could it be related to the fibro?

beaderfrendzy responded:
Dear Wyldspirit,
There are a few of us here that have degenerative disc disease, including myself. I would present the question to Dr. P and see what he has to say. Bulging disc's can cause a lot of pain, but it is mostly in that area. I am so sorry that you have FM. I am not a dr. and afraid to give any advise, but, I will tell you what I think. Sounds like it could be a pinched nerve. The reason I think this, is because my 22 year old son has the same symtoms. He got checked out and lost his insurance before he was able to go back to get fixed. Again, I stress, Post this question to Dr. P and allow a few days for him to answer. Good luck
Mrs. J.T.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....sorry that you are not feeling better....
MiMi in NC....I am glad you have found this unique FM support group though....and I am sure that soon you will find something that will help you cope better...living with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM...is not an easy thing to do....but the more you learn about it...the better you will know how to cope with it...

I would like to suggest that you read the info under "tips" and "resources" to the right of this page....as I am sure you will find something that will help you cope better with your pain...be sure and read "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins"...

I do hope that you will ask your doctor to send you to another doctor who might be able to help you with your back issues...

I had back issues at one time in my life...and found out that it was related to hormones and my monthly period...after I had a hysterectomy the back pain went away....I had it for a long time...but could tell mine was worse at certain times of the month...no kind of pain is easy to deal with....but I am sure that you will find something that will help you cope better...

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level...which is so important for a lot of people....it is a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it....as it is not included (yet) in the normal bloodwork that they do....I hope that this will soon change though...low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us...and it is common for FMers to have low Vitamin D...

I think almost anything might be related to FM....and I am not sure that anyone has all the right answers to this question...since there is no cure for it...we FMers must keep on keeping on....until we find something that will help us...we are all different and what works for one may or may not work for another...but you will never know what might help you, until you try something...and it does take at least 6-8 weeks before you should decide if something is working for you...

I hope that you will post often, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions...

We are all in the same boat with you...and we understand your pain....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

angelswife responded:
Hi Wyldespirit1,

I have bad discs in my lower back and in my neck. When the one in my lower back acts up, the muscles go into such a spasm that they squeeze the nerves. This causes the pain etc. that goes down my leg.

I found a great site called www.LoseTheBackPain.com. There is a lot of good info there about how to manage back pain naturally, including free videos. I ended up getting the program, and the stretches have helped a lot. The pain is not 100% gone, but it has gone from a level 9-10 down to a level 2-3, which is an immense relief. You might want to check it out.

jroseland replied to angelswife's response:
The pain could be the FM. I'm 29 and have had sharp leg pain my whole life. Of course doctors and chiropractors would think sciatica right away, but it never turned out to be. X-rays showed nothing in the area that would cause that pain.

It may be a disc or something too, I'm just giving you one possibility. Whatever's causing it, I hope you can get some relief!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.