Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain in lower legs and feet
Luvmygreys posted:
Does anyone else have this burning tingling sensation in their lower legs and feet. I feel it amost all of the time now, but it is worse at the end of the day after I finish work. I teach 4th grade so I am on my feet alot. My doctor said it is from water retention and prescribed some kind of diurectic.

NeNe_11 responded:
Hi Luvmygreys..Yes, I too have that burning, tingling, needle pain in my shins & top of my feet. It is pain though, not merely a sensation, so Im not sure if were talking about the same thing. At times it gets to the point of being a light throbbing pain & that is usually whenever Im lying down or sitting in the recliner with with my legs up. I dont understand why it is not worse when I am standing-kind of weird. I just figured that it a fibro-thing.
I hope the diuretic helps you.
Take Care..Denise

theguilttrip replied to NeNe_11's response:
sometimes get a sensation as if i have sprained my ankles, but again, as you say, only when i am in bed, at night.....and it can last for hours....sometimes it is difficult to fall asleep because of it......when i was just standing up before getting into bed, it was not there!!!! It's very bizarre!!! Very difficult to get comfortable!!!

cj0611 responded:
So timely and absolutely yes!! As I am reading this, I have dragged home from work and climbed the stairs to my bed and am sitting here with the throbbing in my legs, thighs, feet - top and bottom. Massaging them makes me feel great (while I'm rubbing). I mentioned this to my dr and she said it is an unfortunate side affect of the fm. I was on Lyrica for awhile but the side affects were horrible. I try to not wear high heels for awhile but at times, it is worse with flats so I'm not sure what the answer is. When I wake up in the morning, my feet feel like they are stumps of cement at the end of my legs. Hard to walk into the shower but it does ease up as I am walking around and after the hot shower and motrin kicks in. Never heard of the water retention aspect but it does feel like that at times. My hands also have the same feeling - sore, tight, tingly after a day on the computer.

Bijoubear responded:
Yes, I do everyday. I am a hairstylist and I am still working, I stand on my feet all the time and they will feel very stiff as if I need to stretch them or massage them or something, pain is on tops and bottoms of feet and ankles, shins, and heels. In the morning or getting up after resting ESPECIALLY is when I feel as if I can barely walk. VERY Stiff and painful. I have not been diagnosed yet with anything..awaiting further testing results. I would like to know what is going on. Its getting very hard to continue my line of work. I have already reduced hours considerably. Best to all!

Bijoubear replied to Bijoubear's response:
Forgot to mention I also feel this in my hands and wrists. Everyday

fibrosux replied to Bijoubear's response:
I am so happy to be reading this today! One of the amazing things about reading comments from people suffering from the same, crazy, ill-defining disease. I have a constant pain in my thighs, burning sensations in my legs, my ankles feel broken every morning and my hands feel arthritic. I was going to go to the Dr,, but I am tired of it just "being FM". Arghh.
Does anyone else have bone pain? I often feel that my calf bone or forearm have an intense jolt of pain.
Thanks to everyone who posts. All information is good to me.

KDee77 replied to fibrosux's response:
Yes! I have bone pain too. It is so hard to describe accurately to the doctors. I am seeing a new one in a couple of weeks (saw her once before in walk-in - not sure how confident I am in her) and I hope I can get her to understand. She says she studied about FM in her training, so I hope it helps.

Anyway, I do have the jolts of pain throughout my arms and legs like what you describe. Very frustrating - how do you massage a bone ache???

I really enjoy reading the posts of others and find amazing info from all. My thanks to all, as well!!!

Take care and wishing you good days...

KDee

fibrosux replied to KDee77's response:
Thanks for sharing!! It is so wonderful to just know that I'm not alone. When a new pain comes up every day I think, "I must have cancer now" or some other stupid thing. I'm tired of complaining about it to my doctor.

Please let me know what your new doctor says. I am moving soon to a bigger city and may have an opportunity to also meet with a Dr. that specializes in FM. They are hard to find. Plus, sometimes the say they are and when you meet with them, it's obvious they aren't. Frustrating!!

Lots of luck and care to you!

dumpster replied to Bijoubear's response:
Bijoubear, have you had any luck being diagnosed yet?

dumpster

hannahjo responded:
Try going for a foot massage therapy . It is the best reduce pain or burning tingling sensation in your feet. Since you are on your feet most of the time it is essential for you. Go ahead and experience how soothing is.

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.