Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Painful Hands and fingers, pain is so bad wakes me up all hours of night, anyone else?
ranearl posted:
Hello, my name is Randy, my problem is my hands....excruciating pain, mainly at night time, can fall asleep, but the pain will wake me up, all hours...so in turn from lack of sleep, everything else kicks in, fatigue (overwhelming), aches and pains, live with pins and needles, all day, every day....and mornings have become bad, with the body stiffness, aches, pains, every morning run my hands under hot water, because that is the only relief I get, sleep with gloves on every night, anyone experience this kind of pain with their hands? At a loss right now, lost my health insurance, have no clue what to do.

angelswife responded:
Hi Randy,
Welcome to the group! It's nice to "meet" you.

Have you tried the heat packs that the hunters use to keep their hands warm? You can put them in your gloves---they give heat for 8 hours. There is also a spray called Stopain (I think that's how it's spelled) that several people swear by. You might want to check it out.

Check out the Member Toolbox link to the right; also the links for Nutrition and Vitamins. There are a lot of good ideas there that could be helpful. Good luck!

xperky responded:
Hi ranearl,

I have a similar problem with my right foot. This may sound crazy, but a friend recommended to anyone with pain to try applying Vicks Vaporub to the spot. Yes, you heard me right, Vicks! Well, I tried putting it all over my foot one painful night, then covered foot with a cotton sock. My foot didn't hurt all night! You might try this under washable gloves.

Since then I've purchased Icy Hot roll-on which helps too, but I like the smell of Vicks better.

I hope you can see a doctor or clinic if you need help.
Margaret

calicogirl63 responded:
Hi, ranearl! Wow....I had the same kind of pain at night. Mine was carpal tunnel syndrome. I had the surgery on both hands about five years ago (one at a time!) and I got immediate relief!!

It could be Raynoud's, which is a condition that affects the hands and feet, making them overly sensitive to cold. My mom had that. She wore gloves nearly all of the time!

The Stopain roll on or spray is my lifesaver for any fibro pain. You can buy it at Walmart.

I hope you get some relief soon! I do understand!

Robbie

P.S. Try a really warm shower before bed. The hotter, the better!

booch007 responded:
Randy,

This was my first symptom. I was taught that it is from the front and back of the arm pit area spasming and pressing on the nerves in there.

I used to sleep in a recliner and sit on my hands to keep the neck straight, but what I needed was to have those trigger points in that area injected. Hands are still a problem but so much better.

Look into the book, FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain a survival manual by, Dr. Devin Starlanyl. It has become my bible along with a neurology book for the anatomy.

I use trigger point injections for relief but massage can do it too. Stretching in doorways can help after you breakup the point compressing ont he nerve.
You cannot stretch a triger point loaded muscle(it doesn't work) Try the book, you will be amazed at what you learn.

Amamzing to find people with the same symptoms popping up too. I had so many EMG's for that symptom til I met Dr D and she just said...I know, I'll fix that ! AND DID......

All my best for this. Try the recliner idea and a heat pak to the arm area to start though and then massage and stretch. When she touched me deeptthere I couldn't believe I had the problem (no pain without the touch).
All my best, good luck.......Nancy B

ranearl replied to booch007's response:
Thank you for your suggestions, I truly appreciate everyone's individual stories, because everyone of us have some of the same symptoms, but I have noticed with FM, some of us have pain in different places, some have more pain than others...it just blows my mind, that we are telling people how we feel, but because we don't look sick, they don't, or can't understand it, after all how can they understand this, when we don't...I know I am sick of living like this, and living in a different state (PA), not knowing anyone here, sometimes, I just feel so alone, then the depression is horrible, having no insurance, means not being able to see a doctor, no medication, just pain everyday, and feeling no relief in sight....I have become a moody, unhappy, depressed, tired woman...used to be outgoing, happy, loved to go out, NO MORE, anyone else out there feel the same?

dollbug responded:
Hello Randy.....MiMi in NC....sorry that you are not feeling better....I have also had major problems with both hands....I have had 3 hand surgeries on each hand....had carpal tunnel...and there are still times when it bothers me....I do wear wrist braces on them when I need to at night....which do help me....I have also soaked them before in hot Epsom salts...and I have also used hot wax therapy too....

Living with the wrath of the dragon causes all kinds of aches and pains....but I am sure that you will find something that will help you cope better....it does take a trial and error process...which does take time and effort.....have you tried taking Vitamin and supplements? I know that I have tried different medicines but did not find any that really helped me without causes side effects...I now take magnesium and malate combination supplement, Omegas, Super B Complex, Vitamin D, and calcium....plus others...but these are the ones which help my FM pain the most...anything you try does take at least 6-8 weeks though to really start working properly...

There are no quick fixes...and what works for one...may or may not work for another....only you will know when you have found something that helps you....

I know that living with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....causes a vicious cycle for me....and I never know which part of my body is going to give me problems....I also know that it is important to get enough of the right kind of sleep every night...and to keep the stress at bay, if possible....

I do sleep in a recliner....and have done so now for over 5 years....not by choice though....I have tried the foam mattresses which do help some...but I have problems with lying down flat without getting stopped up....

I wish I could tell you something that would help the chronic fatigue....but so far....I have not found anything which helps this....

I hope you will post often, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions....and know that we understand how you feel....most of us have been there done that...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

KDee77 replied to ranearl's response:
Hi Randy,

Hang in there! I have pain in my hands and wrists, too. I found wrapping my hands in Tensor bandages and using a heating pad on them at night helps. I will be trying some of the other suggestions listed above, too!

About a year ago, I found a story written by a woman with Lupus. The similarities are unreal to how we feel about people not understanding what we go through. When I had my husband read it, he really "got it" to what I am dealing with on a daily basis. If nothing else, it helps me feel "normal" to know I am not alone in looking fine but feeling like crap.

If you are interested in checking it out, just click on the link below.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

Keep checking in here - I find huge comfort by reading the posts of others and learning great tips on dealing with FM.

Take care and wishing you good days...

KDee

mymyrt responded:
Hi, ranearl. I thought about you when I woke up today. My hands were so bad, and I have this quite frequently. I do not have carpal tunnel, nothing else that I know of, just the wonderful world of fibro. I have to be very careful with how I use my hands. I drop things and knock things over often. Picking things up, twisting bottle caps, or bumping my hands or fingers can almost bring me to my knees. I know this must be how it is with RA, but I have NO swelling or deformation, no heat. It's weird and very discouraging. This has been getting worse for the last couple of years. And I understand the pain waking you out of a sound sleep (if you're like me, that sound sleep doesn't happen very often). Sleep, that's another issue.

ranearl replied to mymyrt's response:
mymyrt, it is beyond frustrating, same as me no carpal tunnel, also as u no swelling or deformation, but just recently (this may help u) my fiance was gently rubbing my right lower forearm (pain is usually in right hand)..he said I feel a small lump, but before he could get this out of his mouth, when he touched that spot, I let out a yell, because that spot hurt so bad, and when he softly rubbed this lump, I could feel pain running into my fingers, along with like little shocks..so we figure this small lump must be pressing on the nerves, causing me this pain, so he did the same thing on my left arm (I also have some pain in my left hand at times), guess what? Same thing small lump in the exact place as my right arm...so did some research, and people with FM do have lumps all over, and not even know it. Maybe u should try this, and gently rub your arm, believe me, u will know immediately, because u will feel the pain, almost before u find this lump! Let me know what happens, just stay strong, and I know, I pray to sleep thru one night, and yes, as u I have noticed mine has become much worse, the pain lasts longer, and is excruciating....best of luck

mymyrt replied to ranearl's response:
Hi, ranearl. Just read you last post, Sweetie. I'm so sorry. It just stinks so bad to live like this. I'm sitting here like a big slug while hubby is working on the bathroom. I feel so guilty because I can't do anything to help. I had to get up twice to take pain meds last night, and the new antidepressant is not working like the Lexopro did, so I'm going to see what my doc says when I go back in. I hope you can feel better soon. I understand the isolation so well, and it sucks that you don't have insurance. I'm so glad we can commiserate on this site. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you, Honey.

ranearl replied to mymyrt's response:
thanks 4 your prayers, faith is all i rely on anymore! Since I last spoke to u, 3 days ago, now I have two tiny lumps on the top of my right hand...go figure..now getting little concerned, but it seems people can have what is called lipomas, which r tiny lumps, on any part of your body, so these lumps must be pressing on nerves, which in turn, is causing pain in my right hand, along with numbness, pins and needles, and just plain tired, wake up all hours of night with pain, oh well, hopefully soon, will have insurance.

clydes responded:
I have a very similar situation. The pain is incredible and I have been taking Gabapentin and Advil at bedtime. That does not keep the pain from coming on when I am sleeping. I realize for me, it is coming from my cervical spine which I have had 2 fusions already. What works for me is Biofreeze roll on. The pain begins in the ring and pinky fingers on both hands, then spreads quickly to the entire back of the hands, not the palms. I spread the Biofreeze all over the knuckles and outside of the wrist and that works so I can get back to sleep. I may have to get up for a while and walk around massaging my hands, but I eventually get back to sleep. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.