Skip to content
~*~Distraction Action~*~
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
It's been a while since we did this but I thought everyone could use some light distraction right about now so....

1. What's one of your favorite ways to distract yourself from the pain?

2. What's your favorite movie and why?

3. Vanilla or Chocolate or Strawberry?

4. What TV show or movie is your guilty pleasure?

5. If money were no object, where in the world would you like to escape to?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

great_meme responded:
Hey, Caprice, good morning, how are you? Good questions, let me see if i can come up with some good answers.

1. My favorite distraction...actually, three...would be reading, being online, or working on a new art journal page. Reading is probably the best, tho, as I can get lost in a good book, virtually sitting there watching a "movie" in my head.

2. Favorite movie is a tough one, because I don't watch many movies and never have. Right now, tho, I think I'll say that "Eat,Pray,Love" is my favorite. I was really impressed with it.

3. Chocolate, dark, for candy. If it's not dark chocolate, it's not candy. Vanilla for ice cream, no kidding. Strawberries for shortcake. So, I love them all, lol. Hey, I like to eat, that's probably my favorite pasttime. Am I overweight? I ain't tellin'!!

4. No guilty pleasure on tv, don't even like to watch tv very much. I guess if I were pushed, tho, I'd have to say that I used to love the Britcoms on Saturday nights on Georgia's PBS channel.

5. Where would I go if money was no object. Oh, wow, so many places, seriously. Russia...Spain...Denmark(I'm part Danish)...Ireland/Scotland/England(I'm part all three of those, too)...and of course, my home state: Maine. And DisneyWorld. LOL!!!

angelswife responded:
Hi Caprice! Nice to "see" you back on! Hope you're finally feeling better.

1) One of my favorite distractions is reading a good book. (My #1 book right now is The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot.) My other favorite is curling up with my journal.

2) I don't really watch movies much. One I did enjoy was The Ultimate Gift. It was about a spoiled rich kid who learned that money wasn't the most important thing in the world. I won't give the ending away in case someone here decides to watch it.

3) Chocolate all the way!! In my case, it's coffee---Death by Chocolate coffee with some Belgian Chocolate Creamer added for flavor. The caffeine probably doesn't help the Fibro any, but I still feel better anyway.

4) I don't watch a lot of TV; but I do have three favorites: Secret Millionaire, Ghost Hunters, and Antiques Roadshow. The rest of the time the TV "belongs" to my husband, and he is quite welcome to it!

5) This is a toughie---there are so many places I'd like to see! I think I would probably buy a really nice motor home, toss my husband in it, and travel cross country for a couple of years. Then I could see all of them and share the experience with him. (Best of both worlds for sure!) After we saw most of our 48 states, we'd hop a plane and spend some time in England. I've always wanted to see the gardens over there!

Thanks, Caprice---this was fun! Who's next?

NeNe_11 responded:
Thanks for starting this, Caprice-How fun!
1. I distract myself by getting into a good book or a good drama on tv.

2. My fav movie probably has to be Meet The Parents-It is one of very movies that really makes me laugh. I really prefer a good crime drama that I can get totally engulfed in though & there are too many to mention.

3.I love a good piece of chocolate, but I always choose vanilla!

4.I am addicted to the CSI's

5. Wherever the best spa treatments are!

fibroinsd responded:
Well...I think the obvious answer to number one, is to be online..but I do love to swim too...I don't have a pool..but I do have access to one...I haven't been for awhile...the weather just hasn't been good enough for me to do it..

I think my favorite movie is "Lilies of the Field". It is such an uplifting film...but it is old and not around much. I have a bunch more...but hard to pick and choose..

Strawberry ...I love to have good chocolate...but for a shake..make it a nice fresh strawberry !

TV Shows....oh yea...all the reality shows...Amazing Race. Survivor, American Idol, DWTS...

If money were no object...I would be on a boat touring the Dalmatian Coast..visiting Italy...Greece...Croatia...ahhhhhhhhhhhh

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
What fun reading all your responses! I found them ALL interesting!

Cece, I love old movies and always have but for some reason had never seen Lilies of the Field (other than excerpts) until recently. It still holds up, doesn't it?

I never did answer this for myself so....

1. Being online and interacting with others. When FM first really hit me, it was the only thing that was involving and distracting enough to take me away from the pain. Okay, that and sex (oops, did I say that?! ).

2. I love movies and have a lot of favorites, old and new, but I think my favorite is Shawshank Redemption.

3. Chocolate.

4. No real 'guilty' pleasure when it comes to TV. I definitely have some favorite shows that aren't on network tv but the guiltiest ones I guess are the reality shows: Amazing Race, Survivor and SYTYCD.

5. African safari or antarctic cruise or maybe just someplace tropical with a private beach.

Next?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

booch007 responded:
Work is my distraction and I use it daily...but music is added as my favorite!

Pretty Woman, I could watch it a million times!

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt, like it simple

Right now American Idol has me hook, line and sinker!

The island of Maui was my most amazing moments in years, same hotel with the plumeria bush under our window with the water fall moving. To the left the ocean and sun set so perfect. The seats on the deck, just high enough to support my neck in the evening as I needed, the Island music in the background from the eatery there.......The breeze just right against my face. Mmmm

OMG, thanks Caprice....good thoughts, good things. Going back to that spot in Hawaii was just perfect. It is 5 years now and I have had 5 vacations in my life...this one was best. Ususally I take off to clean and organise our lives or rest....

Trips are a chore to accomplish, but that one was all islandsand alot $$$$$$ but a memory forever. Wow great way to start my day today. Thanks for the post, Nancy B

marysings responded:
When my pain gets out of control, I wrap myself in my electric blanket and sleep.

My favorite movie is Fiddler on the Roof. I love the story line, the actor, and most of all the father's constant talking with God. And the music is awesome!

Chocolate ice cream! Vanilla ice cream in a banana split! And strawberries on chesecake! (hmmmm getting hungry)

I am addicted to House and Grey's Anatomy!

I want to visit Ireland, the home of my grandparents and see if I can find any relatives. My grandmother was one of 19 children and my grandfather had 17 brothers and sisters. I would also like to see all 50 states. Wow...I would be doing a lot of traveling, wouldn't I?

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes,I'm sometimes out of control but I love and give with all my heart. If you can't accept me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best.

xperky responded:
This is fun stuff to think of.

Let's see...pain distractions...dah, get on line! Get outside and move a little in the yard if possible. Read science fiction books, love sci fi.

My DH and I just love the original "The Inlaws" movie. Lots of laughs in there. Silly fun.

Like so many of you...I love vanilla ice cream (with a couple cookies for crunch.) Dark Belgian chocolate is a true treat for me. Strawberries remind me of my childhood when I used to pick them straight out of my dad's garden. One time I mistook a hot red pepper for one and my dad still tells the funny story of my red face and tears!

Every night before bedtime I have to watch our daily recording of any of the Star Trek series. Trekie, lol. Then I read sci fi in bed. What a nerd, lol.

If money were no object, I'd experiment traveling to warm, sunny places to find the best sun on my aching muscles! Booch's trip to Maui sounds perfect.

Next...

Wolfsong452 responded:
1. I try reading,

if my shoulder isn't bother me. Yet, it's hard to stay focused. lots of time, when I have the pain, I also have consentration problems.

2. hmm, favorite movie, right now I'm loving Gladiator with Russel Crowe, along with I, am Legend, with Will Smith, guess I'm behind in the movies.

3.oh, oh, she said Ice Cream, love a good French Vanilla, though, I won't say NO, to most of the flavors.oh oh, Fried Ice Cream is now calling my name.

4. love watching all the crime mysteries, so many now I can't keep up with them. I'd really be in trouble if I had cable TV. Yet, the scary ones are my weakness also.

5. now if I had all the money, where would I go?: always wanted to go to the beach, but each time I've gone it's been a bummer, no swimming, no hot sun to worry about. bummer,. was way to cold.

thought maybe going to the desert, once when it's very hot, just for the experience, then another time when it's cooler, to experience the real desert.

I think what I'd really like, is a road trip, stopping at all the places along the way,

just because I want to.

I'd deal with the pain etc. from driving, sometimes it's worth it!

Wolfsong452 replied to Wolfsong452's response:
ok, thanks, I've now gone searching for my Fried Ice Cream, no luck, I'd gone to Meijers, didn't have it.

didn't want ANYTHING ELSE.

hee, hee,

did buy some healthy things to eat! Ritz crackers, grapefruit, 2 gallons of Tradewind sweet tea, oh wait, it might be 2 quarts.

hee hee,

1rmouse replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Most Mexican resturants serve it. It comes in so many different ways that I've yet to get it made the same way twice.

If you like fried cocanut and crispy flour tortillas with ice cream and whipped cream and chocolet syurp then your safe.. if you like more of one other then maybe you're gonna be disapointed some times.

I just had one while in resturant in Disneyland's Downtown and I got more cocanut that I ever want again..

hisfaithful1 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hey Caprice, I noticed your favorite movie is Shawshank Redemption. I too loved it. It had such a powerful theme, and was so incredibly sad too. It's been years since I've watched it. Maybe I should see it again. Only I know I will cry in some parts now. I have turned into such a softie since getting moderatly older. lol. Thanks for mentioning it, I think I will ask my DH if he wants to watch it with me.

I hope you are feeling better Caprice. You are such a wonderful contributer to this site. I hope you know you are appreciated dear!

As for the rest.

1. Reading, and playing Scrabble with my DH.

3. Chocolate

4. Wretched with Todd Friel (it's a christian show) I guess theres no guilt with this one, but I do love true crime shows like dateline, and 20/20 and 48 hours. It amazes me the lengths some people will go to for love or greed or hatred!

5. I would love to take a tour of the Holy Land someday.

Debbie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
You all are making me want to do some traveling! Some of you describe your favorite spots with such detail, you provided me with a little escape just reading.

Debbie, I'm a softie too. Shawshank IS sad but I also find it incredibly uplifting too. The roof tarring/beer drinking scene and the opera scene are probably my favorites because they're about hope even in the most dire of circumstances. I've seen it so many times now and it never disappoints.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.