Skip to content
Got approved for SSD
beaderfrendzy posted:
Got approved on the first try. But I wont get my first check until end of july.. it will be my luck that the goverment shuts down before I even see my first check! oh well.
Mrs. J.T.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

angelswife responded:
Congratulations, Mrs. JT--I am so glad things worked out for you! It's good to "see" you again too---I'd been wondering where you were. Hope everything's going well. :-)

mymyrt replied to angelswife's response:
Wow, that's wonderful. It always takes a little while for the first check to come in. So happy for you. Such a burden lifted.

beaderfrendzy replied to angelswife's response:
Seems like when I get on here, and try to post, it doesn't take, so I come back every now and then and give it another shot. But I have Been reading the posts.

Thank you both for your replies!
Mrs. J.T.

lb707 replied to beaderfrendzy's response:
I didn't have to worry about the government shutting down..... I was approved then they stopped giving raises. Just glad I get what I do!

Laura

repeattutu2 responded:
Glad you got SSD did not know FM quailfies I am on it for PTSD due to a patient kick boxed my abdomen 2 mo after surgery and ripped my gut open now have scar hip to hip .
have many flash backs and FM sure doses not help things LOVE TO ALL GOPD BLESS

NeNe_11 responded:
Good for you,, Mrs J.T.!

Denise

An_199923 responded:
hi mrs j.t., was just wondering how long it took from start to finish for ssd? do you have other things wrong besides fibro? i applied for ssi and thats why i am asking.

Wolfsong452 responded:
double triple hurray!

An_199924 responded:
Hello Mrs. J.T.,
Would you please take a few minutes & reply to our inquiries:
- Do you have any other conditions?
- How long did the process take you (from start to finish)?
- What state do you live in?
- How old are you?
- Did you use an attorney or other legal representation?
- How long were you out of work before applying for SSDI?
- What type of work did you do?

Thank you!

lb707 replied to An_199924's response:
I am not Mrs. J.T., but I will answer some of your questions.

First thing if you have applied for SSI you may qualify for a Social Worker or Advocate through the state to help you through the process.

When I applied for SSD I had more than just fibro which is not uncommon. If you have dealt with it for many years you could also have things like depression or GAD'S which is not uncommon in a chronic disease.

I was unable emotionally to do the work so after two turn downs I hired an attorney and was approved in exactly two years without ever going to court. It did take another three months before I received my first check and that was due to a clerical mistake.

I was 56 at the time I applied which was just one month oater I quit my job. The previous nineteen years I had been a bus-driver/trainer and had worked in banks years ago....all of which they said was too much for me. I could not sit or stand for too long. I do have degenerated arthritis of the lisfranc joints of one foot and cannot stand long at all.

I had lots of doctor documentation of each Issue....Fibro, GAD's and arthritis. The last Dr. to examine me was a Psychologist specializing in Fibro and with in 10 days of her examination I was awarded SSD.

Laura

4freedom responded:
I'm glad to hear you got your disability approved...I'm going for my hearing the 21st of this month.

I was diagnosed with Costo in Jan., and the Fibro in Feb. So I don't know how much it's even going to facter into my case. I have other issues, arthritis, liver disease, DDD, cervicle and neck, spine issues. and a few other things.

My date was set before the fibro was dx'd, but I've had it for several yrs. I applied 1st time on my own, and then got an atty. I'm 52 now,..... I'm still very nervous about the hearing and not getting to talk to lawyer to the day before.....so this is an added stress on me right now, but nothing I can do about that !! Just hope and pray my Lawyer is great !!

Good to know they are still awarding it though.

lyn

beaderfrendzy responded:
Ok, for all of you asking, here it is. I hope I remember everything. I went to the SS office, end of Feb 2011. Best to take a list of all your meds, name and address of all doctor's you have been too. Any notes as too how much work you have missed or how long its been that you have not been able to work. Any doc records will be helpful too. They want to know if you have been married, the dates of married and divorced. Then a large packet comes in the mail. Three different packets all together. I completed and back in the mail. I think I got it in the mail around the middle of March. Just got my letter last sat that I was approved. I believe what they look for is, How long you have not been able to work, or how much work you have missed. There is a five month wait prd from the point you are so called disabled to work before you get your first check. I got fibro after a car accident. I had no idea it was fibro but was having bowel and bladder issues, spazams, nero issues. I think I seen about 10 doctors in all.
I was diagnosed with FM in March, one month after my car accident, then IBS shortly after. I do have some degenerated diskes going on in my lower back and arthrisis in my neck.
I think the big picture were are looking at is the FM and the vision and brain fog that has been keeping me from being able to work. I made sure, with each doctor, to really discribe how they are effecting me daily. I also have an issue with bowel and bladder incontinance. This is FM related! so is the vision and brain fog! But, my vision also goes a step futher, I seen a FM doc and she told me that the blurr is common with FM, but mine will last all day, which is not common with FM, it is a nero issue in my brain. I dont know what they used to decide my disability. But, what I did do, and for those of you that have not begun your paper work yet, this is what I did.
I typed up all my ailments, started from head to toe, also include depression, anxitiy. Then make a list of all the reasons you are unable to work, or why it is hard for you. I also included a list of all my Doctors with address's and phone. I made a list of all meds I have taken, and currently taking now. I am 50 years old, I live in Missouri. My last day of work was Dec 5th 2010, started process and took about a month in all. NO attorney! Did it all myself. I worked for the state, in the taxation department. I sat all day taking incoming and outgoing calls, in call center. I answered questions and resolved tax issues for all types of tax. Business and personal tax. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions, will be happy to answer. One thing I think is important.. make sure you get a good doctor that will listen, and document what you are telling them so this will be in your files. Advise to go on FMNA and see if there is a doctor in your area.
Mrs. J.T.

beaderfrendzy replied to An_199924's response:
Ok, for all of you asking, here it is. I hope I remember everything. I went to the SS office, end of Feb 2011. Best to take a list of all your meds, name and address of all doctor's you have been too. Any notes as too how much work you have missed or how long its been that you have not been able to work. Any doc records will be helpful too. They want to know if you have been married, the dates of married and divorced. Then a large packet comes in the mail. Three different packets all together. I completed and back in the mail. I think I got it in the mail around the middle of March. Just got my letter last sat that I was approved. I believe what they look for is, How long you have not been able to work, or how much work you have missed. There is a five month wait prd from the point you are so called disabled to work before you get your first check. I got fibro after a car accident. I had no idea it was fibro but was having bowel and bladder issues, spazams, nero issues. I think I seen about 10 doctors in all.
I was diagnosed with FM in March, one month after my car accident, then IBS shortly after. I do have some degenerated diskes going on in my lower back and arthrisis in my neck.
I think the big picture were are looking at is the FM and the vision and brain fog that has been keeping me from being able to work. I made sure, with each doctor, to really discribe how they are effecting me daily. I also have an issue with bowel and bladder incontinance. This is FM related! so is the vision and brain fog! But, my vision also goes a step futher, I seen a FM doc and she told me that the blurr is common with FM, but mine will last all day, which is not common with FM, it is a nero issue in my brain. I dont know what they used to decide my disability. But, what I did do, and for those of you that have not begun your paper work yet, this is what I did.
I typed up all my ailments, started from head to toe, also include depression, anxitiy. Then make a list of all the reasons you are unable to work, or why it is hard for you. I also included a list of all my Doctors with address's and phone. I made a list of all meds I have taken, and currently taking now. I am 50 years old, I live in Missouri. My last day of work was Dec 5th 2010, started process and took about a month in all. NO attorney! Did it all myself. I worked for the state, in the taxation department. I sat all day taking incoming and outgoing calls, in call center. I answered questions and resolved tax issues for all types of tax. Business and personal tax. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions, will be happy to answer. One thing I think is important.. make sure you get a good doctor that will listen, and document what you are telling them so this will be in your files. Advise to go on FMNA and see if there is a doctor in your area.
Mrs. J.T.

Wolfsong452 replied to beaderfrendzy's response:
this is encouraging to hear. I started mine in Feb. so, hopefully it won't take very long.

Did you have to go for a physical or mental exam?

I know they have me scheduled for one of each, 1st. tomorrow at 7pm. then the mental on Mon. at 7 am.

ack!

I'm barely able to get around today,, weather here in Indiana is eractic.

so, this does a number on my body and mind.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.