Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hitting a wall of fatigue
curiouslady318 posted:
Hi. I am grateful to find this discussion group. I was diagnosed several years ago as having Rhuematoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia. I put so much focus on the RA, I never researched Fibro. The RA is very well controlled with Humira and methotrexate. I've not let the RA ever slow me down. I run my own business and work 60 hours a week (all sitting hours). For the last year or more I've been hitting a wall almost every day when I just can't seem to keep functioning. My Rhuematologist recently told me this was from the Fibro. The fatigue is extraordinary and accompanied by chills and lack of mental clarity. I can't function the way I used to. Flexiril has helped, but the new Tricyclic does not seem to help. Can fatigue be that debilitating. Should I begin to consider changing my work routine - working shorter hours. I am eternally grateful for any thoughts.

NeNe_11 responded:
Hi & Welcome...I am sorry that you are experiencing the awful fatigue associated with fibro. I am however, glad that your RA is under control. I have fibro & the fatigue for me is worse than the pain, although the pain is very bad as well.I used to be able to work despite the pain but now cannot because the fatige is just too great. I think that the fatigue is part of fibro itself, but can also be caused by the sleep problems involved with fibro, side effects from certain medications, depression, and just plain old exhaustion from dealing with the pain.

You mentioned you are taking a tricyclic antidepressant-these can make you very tired. One of my current meds is nortriptyline & the fatigue(along with the swollen undereyes)is dibilitating for me-even though I sleep pretty good these days.

God Bless you for still be able to run your own business-do you think you can at least cut back your hours to 40 per week & see if that helps? Even 40 hrs is alot so make sure you take alot of short breaks to stretch, drink water & just refuel.

Im glad you came here for help, as you will get alot of support & guidance. There are two Dr's here that you can also address any questions to as well.

Take care of yourself,
Denise

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC....I hope that you will be able to find something that will help you cope better....I have the chronic fatigue and trust me when I tell you....it is a real issue to deal with.....debilitating...oh yes...and even more...
there are times...when I feel ok...and then all of a sudden, out of no where...the fatigue takes over my body....and when I get to this point....I can no longer do anything...whatever I was doing comes to a screeching halt....and whatever I needed to do....would just have to wait...

I can not even imagine how in the world you can work 60 hours a week....I can certainly understand why the fatigue keeps you from functioning....we FMers...have to learn our bodies and know when we need to stop...it does take time to figure all of this out...but it is possible...we can NOT cross the line...because if we do...then we pay for it...and normally I pay dearly...when I do it...

I have searched for something to help my chronic fatigue...and have been told by a couple of doctors that there is nothing that will help it....a person should just rest....and hopefully this will help to renew your energy...

I will also tell you that I have learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements...as I have tried several different kinds of medicine but was unable to find anything which really helped me without causing side effects...and I did not need anything else to deal with..

I would like to encourage you to be sure and get your Vitamin D level checked...which is so very important to a lot of people these days...it is a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it...as it is not included (yet) in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do...low Vitamin D can cause additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well..

I hope you will also check out the info under "tips" and "resources" to the right of this page....I am sure that you will find some good "tools and tips" that you might want to try...
what works for one may or may not work for another...and only you will know when you have found something that truly helps you cope better...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

jroseland replied to Dollbug's response:
You may already be exercising but I have found that to be helpful with my fatigue and fog. I know that exericise is tricky with both RA and FM, though.

Many of us with FM can't even fathom working the hours you do! I work part-time and still feel a little overwhelmed.

And, of course, the answer nobody wants, is that even with treatment many of us still experience fog and fatigue. The goal is to lessen the affects.

I hope you're able to find some answers.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.