Skip to content
Fighting fatigue when you have to get out of bed
jrae922 posted:
Hi Everyone,

I know that many of us have to continue working (in addition to the many other roles we fill, such as parenting) in spite of our overwhelming symptoms. I wanted to reach out to those of you who work full time outside of the home and ask - how do you fight the kind of fatigue that is so consuming that it's hard to keep your head up? I'm not talking about feeling sleepy because you didn't sleep well - I mean feeling so weary that it's hard to carry your body around. Sometimes, it feels like my muscles aren't getting enough oxygen or like I haven't eaten in a few days (even though I have been!)

Thanks in advance,

Jessie

lotsapain711 responded:
To jrae922,
You need to find the right combination of meds and start taking vitamin D, (it seems to give me energy). In your post you didn't say what meds you are taking, but it's a trial and error sometimes finding what works for you. I take Lyrica, Cymbalta, and a low dose Hydrocone for the breakthrough pain. Also, ask your Dr. for a muscle relaxer to help rest at night. Also, try stretching your arms and legs before you get out of bed each morning. A hot shower or bath will also make you feel better morning and night. I hope this will help you. Take care of yourself. Lotsapain711

An_199959 responded:
For me personally it is a mind thing.

1wareaglefan replied to lotsapain711's response:
Hey, Lotsapain....may I ask how much vitamin D you take that gives you energy? I take 1000 mg. per day....I can't really say that it gives me energy.

I've also read that CoQ10 is supposed to give us energy. I took it for a while, but it's pretty expensive, so I stopped. There's so much stuff to take!!! I get overwhelmed sometimes with paying for it all.

Thanks! ELizabeth

NeNe_11 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
I have found nothing that helps with the fatigue. Honestly, I believe the fatigue is worse than the pain is the reason why I cannot work. Ive always been resilient to pain & have learned to live with daily pain, but the exhaustion is something to be reckoned with!

We have the fatigue that just comes with the fibro, then theres the added fatigue from the sleep issues, and not to forget the fatigue from the meds. And I believe we become fatigued as a result of feeling pain all day. Its all so exhausting-Im so glad I can come here & know I am not alone.

dollbug responded:
Hello Jessie and welcome.....MiMi in NC....I am sorry that you are not feeling better....I wish I could say that I have several things for you to try to combat the fatigue....but I have tried many different things and have not found anything that has helped me.....I do take vitamins and supplements and have learned how to "control my FM pain" by doing this...but I still have the chronic fatigue....and so far nothing has worked for me....

Some days are better than others...and I do not know why....I have tried to figure out if I do things different on the days that are better....but I can not find any sort of rhyme or reason to any of this....

I would encourage you though to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level...which is so very important...to a lot of people....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for a lot of us...and it can also affect other illnesses as well...

Please check out the info here under "tips" and "resources" to the right of this page....as I am sure that you will find something that perhaps you have not thought of trying...
be sure and read the "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins"....

I hope that you will post often, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions....

Take care and good luck...

If and when you find something that helps your fatigue...I hope that you will share it with all of us...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

redskin44 replied to NeNe_11's response:
You just described my fatigue issues so perfectly and the reasons, but I also along with that have mind fatigue..just cannot think at all.

Wolfsong452 responded:
nothing helps,

When I am feeling good, then it's great, usually I have no idea on why it's happened. Even with my pain journal. so I guess I don't have my symptoms under control.

Now how do I get out of bed and go to work? even when I'm feeling so terrible.

Guess it's the knowledge, it's either do this, or not have a house, and be homeless. Not something I want to do. Yet, it's getting harder and harder to do.

NeNe_11 replied to redskin44's response:
Hi again, Redskin,
I understan the brain fatigue too, as so many here do as well. I am no longer able to work do to the fatigue & lack of mental clarity. I also feel like I have ADHD, as ZI cannot focus on much of anything, I cannot handle one task, let alone multi-tasking(whats that, right?). I cant comprehend direction or much of what i read-have to take it one sentence at a time & re-read everything. The drowsiness from the meds is another thing-yet I cannt nap during the day & in too much pain to lay in bed once Im up in the morning. Cant speak right much of the time either-lose words-forget what the conversation is about.

I write everything down that I need to remember-have to or its gone with in moments. Im 43, mind you & dont qualify for Alzheimer's, yet! Then theres the painful, burning, dry eyes.

Oh, Lord, give me strength...Sorry for going on & On. If anyone knows of any natural sources of energy-please share.
Denise

mymyrt replied to NeNe_11's response:
Hi, Denise, you have described the fatigue and the brain issues so perfectly. And I live in terror all the time that it's early-onset AD. I do wish someone could discover any source of energy. I saw something on the TV crawler this week that mentioned CFS and the fact that FM sufferers usually have both. And the symptoms were mine exactly, and so many others of us. As for sleep, the only medication that helps me sleep is Xanax, I have tried so many others. If I didn't have that, I would never sleep.

Hope you will be feeling better soon, Denise. We can all hope and pray.

Hugs and more. Joan

rmkjk responded:
my way of fighting the fatigue is to stop and rest if i can..a 1 hour nap is usually helpful..some days all i want to do is lay in bed and sleep but then am up all night...wish there were a magic elixor to help us..just had by B12 and D checked again should have the results back tomorrow or monday I am told the low B12 can create all kinds of havoc on the body including exhaustion. The feelings are awful the more tired i feel the more i hurt.

jrae922 replied to lotsapain711's response:
I take Lyrica, Cymbalta, Flexaril and Trazodone. Most nights, I sleep very well without waking. I always take a hot shower in the morning but I almost never take a hot shower or bath in the evening (I will have to add that to my daily routine).

Recently, I joined Overeaters Anonymous. I have often used food as a comfort mechanism (for pain, fatigue, anxiety and depression) and have gained 45 pounds in the last two years. I realized that my weight and eating habits were making me miserable and dieting was only adding fuel to the fire. Now, I am ignoring the scale and I'm avoiding sugary foods and baked goods. I'm walking 3x/week for 20 minutes. I'm feeling more energetic but I still have my symptoms. When I get hungry in between meals, I chew sugar-free gum and drink water. So far, so good.

On my days where I am completely exhausted, I give myself permission to go to bed at 8pm and leave the chores for another day.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will get my vitamin D and B12 levels checked.

Warm hugs,
Jessie

lawly11 replied to jrae922's response:
I found out from my doctor that I can take up to 4000 of vitamin a day, he says he does himself. I was only taking what the bottle said, one 1000 tablet a day, since increasing to 4000 I do notice some improvement.

tealdobber replied to NeNe_11's response:
nene-11
i am with you the fatique is worse then the pain most of the times. i was working and found a program that seemed to help. but with working and going there at least 3 -4 times a week i was gone from home about 12hrs. and it was just to much for me the fatique became worse i tried changing my schedule at work i am one of the lucky ones that could due that, but it still was not enough, i would go to bed the same time everynight but then would be awake at around 2am in such pain and by the time i would finally get to sleep it was time to get up. i am not working now my dr said i could no longer work. but now i am fightning for ssd and it is a same i worked for 40yrs and this is what i get. had to get an attorney. but i wanted to let u know u are not alone at all.

stackel responded:
Hey -

I'm still trying to understand all of this.

It's hard to explain to people. You have a 9 a.m. work or social meeting. You set your alarm for 7 a.m.

You open your eyes and feel like someone ran you over with a truck - every limb and muscle feels like it weighs a ton - but you still have to get up.

Fascinating.

I've been trying vitamins and trying to sneak in rest whenever I can wherever I can.

It's better than not knowing. For five years I thought I was just getting the flu every other week

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.