Skip to content
upset about weight
1wareaglefan posted:
Good morning, All. I thought I'd come here and vent, cry, whine, and see if somebody has some words of encouragement for me. I'm having a hard time with my food issues right now. I'm afraid I've always been an emotional eater, and changes going on in my life right now seem to be causing me to crave sweets too much.

I'd been so proud of my 40 lb. weight loss 2 years ago, and pretty much kept it off for a year, but within the last 6 mos. I've put back on 10-15 lbs. of it. I'm very upset that I let myself do that!

I've started back with my walking, but that causes me to hurt more. I know I've got to do it, though, to get anywhere with weight loss. I guess I need to realize it's going to take time to start seeing some of the weight come off.

I guess I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself, because I can't eat the things I want to. I know they're not good for me. Help!

Thanks for listening.....sorry to be complaining. Anybody where I am?
Elizabeth
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jrae922 responded:
Hi Elizabeth,

I am exactly where you are. I have put on a total 45lbs. since I had my daughter 2 1/2 years ago. Since then, I have been through my daughter's colic, the death of my mother-in-law, my husband's mental breakdown, a career crisis and now I am getting ready to file for divorce.

My fibro has gotten worse since my pregnancy and subsequent breastfeeding. Pain levels are higher and although I have been gifted with the best sleeping child EVER, my fatigue has increased, too.

I've been off and on Weight Watchers more times than I can count and even tried the South Beach Diet. The only thing that has helped me is a book I am reading by Victoria Moran called "Fat, Broke & Lonely No More". She has several other titles, some of which are strictly about emotional eating (I think one is called "Fit From Within").

The moral of the story is this: we are not average people. We are dealing with chronic pain and fatigue. Treat yourself with compassion and ask yourself these quetions: Am I taking medication that causes weight gain? and Do I have some issue in my life that is subconsciously causing me to turn to food for comfort? If the answer is "yes" to the first question, cut yourself some slack. If the answer is "yes" to the second question - dig deeper and find out what is causing your emotional pain and face it with courage.

For me, I am going through a bit of a quarter-life crisis. I left my loveless marriage and returned to college. I am struggling with my weight because I forgot how to love myself. I'm still working on that last one but at least I know now what's causing me to turn to food, other than the pain and fatigue that I am faced with every day.

(((Hugs)))

Jessie

1wareaglefan replied to jrae922's response:
Thanks so much, Jessie! After hearing all that you've been through, my struggles are pretty small. I appreciate your thoughtful and sincere reply. Thank you for the sentence: we are not average people...we are dealing with chronic pain and fatigue! I know that is true; I just forget it a lot of the times.

I'm bad about expecting perfection from myself. Now, I'm not a perfectionist in other areas by any means, but when it comes to my eating and weight, I think I expect too much out of myself.

I'll have to check out books by that author....thanks for that tip.

I hope you have a great day....thanks again.....Elizabeth

angelldakota responded:
Hi Elizabeth... I too don't seem to be able to break the weight situation... I lose a few and gain a few... I am on meds that cause weight gain and one that is suppose to counteract it but I thin the battle is too much for it... I am suppose to eat 6 to 8 times a day and my portions keep getting smaller... and or so calorie free My sugar goes down too far...

My Dr had me taking my sugars more then 4 times a day but the insurance said no more then 4 times... So taking it extra when I feel low means a couple not taking it the next day... I have to make sure it is coming up... sometimes it is stubborn...

It feels like a three ring circle for me... too much to deal with at one time... but I have to lose weight... I just don't know how anymore... I do exercise... and finally can walk better with my crutches... not blocks but 700 feet and on a good day 750... that doesn't sound like much but it will help won't it... I can't go fast tho... It is strenuous and I work up a sweat...

well... I think your best anchor is loving yourself thru your cravings... I try meditating at the times I crave again... I was Baleamic when I was younger and the cravings never really go away... The come when I am at my stress... and when I am depressed... Sometimes when I am anxious... Lately Quite often... Don't go shopping hungry... or craving... Enough about me...

take care... Bless you...
When you need a friend, reach out to a stranger and you will have one. If you need help, help someone else. if you need to cry, find someone already crying and celebrate life. Love Jan

jrae922 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
You are so welcome! Don't forget that there's no such thing as perfect with fibro - you do the best you can without harming yourself. I think if you polled everyone with fibro you would find that most of us are "recovering perfectionists"! LOL

jroseland replied to jrae922's response:
You definitely are not alone. Many of us with FM struggle with weight. I gained weight because of meds a couple years ago and have been fighting to lose it ever since.

In one of Dr. Oz's books, he says it's interesting that people are almost always willing to cut themselves and other people slack for making mistakes----except when it comes to our diet. This is so true! So even if you eat something bad, forget about it and move on to the next hopefully healthier meal. Or treat yourself to the foods you like, but in small portions.

You've obviously been eating well, in order to lose the weight you did. You probably know the feeling of satisfaction you can have when you know you're eating right. Maybe think about how good that feels.

I understand that exercise can cause more pain but for me it's worth it. I find that walking can flare me up pretty badly--mostly because of how fast I need to walk to get my heart rate up. I try to use ellipticals or stationary bikes. Of course, those can be expensive or necessitate a gym membership.

What you may want to try, too, is interval training. When you're walking, do about 30 seconds (or less if you need) of higher intensity, then take 90-120 seconds to recover, then do it all again. I do this 8 times which means around 20 minutes (you can do it fewer times). This method can really rev up your metabolism using less time than traditional exercise. And you don't need to do this daily, just a couple times per week.

I hope you're feeling better!

katmandulou responded:
Whatever meds you're on are probably causing the weight gain too. My DH did a lot of research when I was dx'd, one of the side effects of my meds is weight gain! I slathered on 30-35#, and I hover up or down 5#. I hate it.

I have made grand plans to exercise, and DH comes along willingly, but something else always pops up and sabotages my plan. Walking every night after dinner, one lap around the block, becomes 'why are my ankles swollen and sore'? or 'ouch my plantar facsciitis is acting up' Weight lifting to give me some strength turns into a muscle spasm in my back. The only thing I have done, successfully is yoga. And I remain heavier and feeling icky. *sigh*

angelswife responded:
Hi Elizabeth---((((hugs)))). I know how you're feeling! I eat a lot of protein and almost no sweets; plus I'm back to work now---and I still haven't lost much weight! Grrr...Sometimes I wonder if I should stop eating altogether! I can't seem to get below a size 14 no matter what I do, and I feel fat, ugly and old...sigh. I would probably feel better if I was seeing decent results! I envy my husband...he can shed pounds like he's taking off a coat.

I know I need to be patient---I've never been able to lose weight fast. Just wish I could do it faster...You are not alone!

kadiki responded:
Not long after I was diagnosed with fibro my doctor put me on Wellbutrin XL 300 mgs. I lost 30 lbs without even tryiing. Been taking it few years and the weight has not come back. I went from size 10-12 to a size 4. She said it would help with the pain and depression from having fibro. It did. They actually prescribe it for people needing to lose weight too.
One day at a time. Diane King

Wolfsong452 replied to kadiki's response:
now that is interesting, since I've lost my insurnace, I've lost all my prescrtiptions,

hoping I will be able to go back on them soon.

Wellbutrin was one of the ones I was taking.

1wareaglefan replied to kadiki's response:
Thanks for your reply, Kadiki....I used to take wellbutrin, and you're right....it definitely helps control cravings and appetite. But it causes sleeping problems for me. I'm extremely sensitive to meds, and I'm afraid I have trouble with that one.

Sure would be nice, though! I WISH I wore a 10-12!!!!

Thanks....Elizabeth

1wareaglefan replied to angelswife's response:
Thanks, Angelswife.....I also eat pretty low carb, but I'm afraid I have to have my occasional treat. Life's too short for me to go without sweets totally, ya know?

I know you do a lot of physical work....I'll bet the weight will start coming off of you. That's why I keep trying to walk as much as possible.

Thanks again.....Elizabeth

1wareaglefan replied to katmandulou's response:
Yeah, Kat, that's a bummer about our meds, isn't it? I actually started gaining weight when I started taking antidepressants years ago.

Oh well....I guess I'd rather be a little bit heavy than depressed! That's awful!

Take care....Elizabeth

1wareaglefan replied to angelldakota's response:
Thanks for your reply, Jan. Bless your heart....walking with crutches can't be easy. It's just a difficult battle, isn't it?

Take care.....Elizabeth

1wareaglefan replied to jroseland's response:
Thanks, Jroseland....I've done that interval training before. It actually caused me to flare pretty bad, though. I do better with straight walking. Maybe after I get in a good routine I'll try it again.

Thanks for your tips! Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.