Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia is a throw away diganosis
jrae922 posted:
YOU need to do your research. Fibromyalgia is a syndrome, not a disease. Depression and Fibro Fog are often side effects of chronic pain that is caused by overactive nerves - and yes, both can be worsened by medication and the syndrome itself. Researchers have discovered that there is a chemical imbalance in the brain caused by decresed ATP and growth hormones. And there is a genetic predisposition - so, often mothers and daughters will have FMS.

How dare you come into our community and tell us it's all in our heads! Until you walk a mile in our shoes, you will never understand.

By the way, you need a new job.

jroseland responded:
Wow, you're opening up a big bag of worms here. I think you think you have good intentions.

Look into studies done where people with FM (or supposed FM) had functional mri's, along with people without FM. When a small pain stimulous was given, the people with FM had areas of the brain that process pain light up (or react, I don't know the technical terms) in a larger degree than the non FMer's.

You're going to get a lot of people's personal stories but I'm going to lay out mine in a non emotional way. I have had pain daily for most of my life (I'm 29). I had a great childhood that included no trauma, physical or emotional. I was active and an above average student with a good social life. I have had many tests that have ruled out other conditions that can cause pain. To this day, I exercise 4-5 days per week doing spinning and indoor rock climbing. I eat very healthy. I have a job and am in a stable relationship. So what's your answer for me?

I am not angry at your post. You obviously work with people in pain and that must be difficult. I don't care when people don't believe that I have FM, all I care about is that I have chronic pain, you can call it what you want. You will find that people on this site are some of the most informed and educated people regarding their health. I have had doctor's visits where I informed my doctor of the differences in antidepressants and what chemicals they effect. And I believe that is the norm for many people with FM.

I may be dumb for actually responding to your comment, others here have probably dismissed it as a joke and not worth their time, as FM is a recognized "condition" within medicine. But you asked for a clinical study--look into the one I described. If I can find a link describing it, I will post it. Again, my reply to you is not given in anger or emotion. I think you have some valid points about overmedicating and doctors not giving patients' time and effort. But that is a problem in the medical community, not with patients.

jroseland responded:
Wow, you're opening up a big bag of worms here. I think you think you have good intentions.

Look into studies done where people with FM (or supposed FM) had functional mri's, along with people without FM. When a small pain stimulous was given, the people with FM had areas of the brain that process pain light up (or react, I don't know the technical terms) in a larger degree than the non FMer's.

You're going to get a lot of people's personal stories but I'm going to lay out mine in a non emotional way. I have had pain daily for most of my life (I'm 29). I had a great childhood that included no trauma, physical or emotional. I was active and an above average student with a good social life. I have had many tests that have ruled out other conditions that can cause pain. To this day, I exercise 4-5 days per week doing spinning and indoor rock climbing. I eat very healthy. I have a job and am in a stable relationship. So what's your answer for me?

I am not angry at your post. You obviously work with people in pain and that must be difficult. I don't care when people don't believe that I have FM, all I care about is that I have chronic pain, you can call it what you want. You will find that people on this site are some of the most informed and educated people regarding their health. I have had doctor's visits where I informed my doctor of the differences in antidepressants and what chemicals they effect. And I believe that is the norm for many people with FM.

I may be dumb for actually responding to your comment, others here have probably dismissed it as a joke and not worth their time, as FM is a recognized "condition" within medicine. But you asked for a clinical study--look into the one I described. If I can find a link describing it, I will post it. Again, my reply to you is not given in anger or emotion. I think you have some valid points about overmedicating and doctors not giving patients' time and effort. But that is a problem in the medical community, not with patients.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.