Skip to content
Fibromyalgia is a throw away diganosis
jrae922 posted:
YOU need to do your research. Fibromyalgia is a syndrome, not a disease. Depression and Fibro Fog are often side effects of chronic pain that is caused by overactive nerves - and yes, both can be worsened by medication and the syndrome itself. Researchers have discovered that there is a chemical imbalance in the brain caused by decresed ATP and growth hormones. And there is a genetic predisposition - so, often mothers and daughters will have FMS.

How dare you come into our community and tell us it's all in our heads! Until you walk a mile in our shoes, you will never understand.

By the way, you need a new job.

jroseland responded:
Wow, you're opening up a big bag of worms here. I think you think you have good intentions.

Look into studies done where people with FM (or supposed FM) had functional mri's, along with people without FM. When a small pain stimulous was given, the people with FM had areas of the brain that process pain light up (or react, I don't know the technical terms) in a larger degree than the non FMer's.

You're going to get a lot of people's personal stories but I'm going to lay out mine in a non emotional way. I have had pain daily for most of my life (I'm 29). I had a great childhood that included no trauma, physical or emotional. I was active and an above average student with a good social life. I have had many tests that have ruled out other conditions that can cause pain. To this day, I exercise 4-5 days per week doing spinning and indoor rock climbing. I eat very healthy. I have a job and am in a stable relationship. So what's your answer for me?

I am not angry at your post. You obviously work with people in pain and that must be difficult. I don't care when people don't believe that I have FM, all I care about is that I have chronic pain, you can call it what you want. You will find that people on this site are some of the most informed and educated people regarding their health. I have had doctor's visits where I informed my doctor of the differences in antidepressants and what chemicals they effect. And I believe that is the norm for many people with FM.

I may be dumb for actually responding to your comment, others here have probably dismissed it as a joke and not worth their time, as FM is a recognized "condition" within medicine. But you asked for a clinical study--look into the one I described. If I can find a link describing it, I will post it. Again, my reply to you is not given in anger or emotion. I think you have some valid points about overmedicating and doctors not giving patients' time and effort. But that is a problem in the medical community, not with patients.

jroseland responded:
Wow, you're opening up a big bag of worms here. I think you think you have good intentions.

Look into studies done where people with FM (or supposed FM) had functional mri's, along with people without FM. When a small pain stimulous was given, the people with FM had areas of the brain that process pain light up (or react, I don't know the technical terms) in a larger degree than the non FMer's.

You're going to get a lot of people's personal stories but I'm going to lay out mine in a non emotional way. I have had pain daily for most of my life (I'm 29). I had a great childhood that included no trauma, physical or emotional. I was active and an above average student with a good social life. I have had many tests that have ruled out other conditions that can cause pain. To this day, I exercise 4-5 days per week doing spinning and indoor rock climbing. I eat very healthy. I have a job and am in a stable relationship. So what's your answer for me?

I am not angry at your post. You obviously work with people in pain and that must be difficult. I don't care when people don't believe that I have FM, all I care about is that I have chronic pain, you can call it what you want. You will find that people on this site are some of the most informed and educated people regarding their health. I have had doctor's visits where I informed my doctor of the differences in antidepressants and what chemicals they effect. And I believe that is the norm for many people with FM.

I may be dumb for actually responding to your comment, others here have probably dismissed it as a joke and not worth their time, as FM is a recognized "condition" within medicine. But you asked for a clinical study--look into the one I described. If I can find a link describing it, I will post it. Again, my reply to you is not given in anger or emotion. I think you have some valid points about overmedicating and doctors not giving patients' time and effort. But that is a problem in the medical community, not with patients.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
485 of 560 found this helpful