Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Burning, aching in sternum rib cage?
cj0611 posted:
Hi-I've had fibro for years and lately the flare ups are pretty bad but I'm lucky because there are times when there are fewer problems and my 800 mg of Advil helps. New symptom with this one - my chest muscles feel so tight and I have a burning sensation in my breast bone (right in the middle between by breasts), and the breasts are extremely sore - bra is killing me (can't go to work without it - not good! :-) Feeling like it could be indigestion too because of belching and burning in my throat at the same time. The muscles in my back are tight and cracking more than usual. The pain and fatigue this time are waaaay worse. Our weather has fluctuated between 80 degrees one day to 40 degrees the next (Michigan!!!). Called in sick today - have only called in due to my FM a few times. Thinking about intermittent fmla to deal with these days as they are getting worse. Anyone else have the chest/breast/rib cage pain? I worry that I ignore pain that could be indicator of something more than fibro. Feel like I attribute everything to fibro. Thank you for your input if you can...

duchessgf04 responded:
I wish I had an answer to your issue with the rib cage & chest feeling tight. Please do not ignore these symptoms. They can be from indigestion, but many women and men have had heart attacks or strokes, which could have been prevented had they not ignored those issues. Those can be, not always, but CAN BE serious signs of a medical issue not associated with FM. My drs. feel everything that causes me pain is from the accident. Well, maybe it is, but it has caused the nerves to revolt, and they ignore that factor.
When it comes to going to a dr,. I am the worst one living that hates to go so much. And I have had good ones, and not so good ones. I had those symptoms you mention some months ago, and my friends really gave me a lot of grief about ignoring them. It is a dr. programing me to think everything is one ailment added as the cause of the existing one. Well, I am now on Nexium, which I needed due to a problem with digestive tract, handling of the meds I have been on so long, and add the fact that I dont have a rib that has not been broken, a hiatial hernea.
I have to watch how spicy my food is , and know when I feel an attack coming on. But I take the Nexium religiously no matter what. Yours could be more serious, or the same treatable issue. God Bless

Irmouse1 responded:
cj0611, Hi Linda R here and you be suffering from Costochondritis. I have similar burning and tightness in the rib cage and have many times thrown in the towel and headed for the ER.. only to be sent home with Advil script and instructions to wait it out. ; (

Costo, as we call it here, last a short to long periods of time depending on the person or the event. Mine last weeks, some here get by with a few days to a week. I would check this out with your PCP to get the Costo DX and go from there.

But Costo and Fibro go hand in hand. Those of us with it suffer Costo events more times than most other people with medical illnesses.. Well that's what I've been told. I know that I have been dealing with Costo a lot this past year. So am guessing that we just may be.

Please have your PCP check this out and re post..

Have a pain free day.
Linda R.

cj0611 replied to Irmouse1's response:
Just an update since I did get to the dr today - had an EKG which turned out to be perfectly normal and have scheduled a stress test since I've had some signs of Atrial fibrillation (family history). My dr thinks this pain is the start of an ulcer due to the amount of Advil I have been taking - 600-800 mg twice a day (most days - sometimes once on a good day) for quite awhile. She has given me Tramadol to try along with a prescription antacid once a day. Reading all the reviews of Tramadol - some good but some very scarey side affects. Anyone have anything they can share regarding Tramadol? I really want to find something to take that won't kill my stomach! Help. Thanks for anyone's feedback - it's appreciated very much.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to cj0611's response:
I'm glad you've seen your doctor and this is being looked into.

Click on the following link for information about Tramadol (including side effects and interactions AND member reviews):

Tramadol
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

cj0611 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for your response and the link. I have read so many of the reviews that I find it confusing and scarey. If you take the positive it all sounds great but the negative ones - especially those with horrible effects from the meds - it scares me. My daughter has taken Tramadol for her lupus pain and has had no issues so I'm going with that and hope that I'll find the relieve I need.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to cj0611's response:
Just keep in mind that ALL medications - even the most common over-the-counter ones - have potential side effects.

That doesn't mean you'll get any of them and if you do, that they'll stay. Know the possible allergic reactions and report immediately to your doctor and take only as directed in the first place. :-)

And you should also understand that the online world does lend itself to hearing more from those unhappy with a product than happy with one. Those who are satisfied with something are less inclined to feel the need to talk about it.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

xperky replied to cj0611's response:
I too, have acid stomach troubles. I was prescribed Tramadol for pain since the otc stuff wasn't cutting it. It has made my life better because I'm able to be more active. It doesn't give me acid stomach either. I'm very satisfied using it instead of ibuprofen. In fact, I took an ibuprofen today and have suffered lots of acid reflux from it. My PCP says Tramadol is safer than otc pain relievers in many ways.

I worry about side effects also. I'm susceptible to them. We just have to be cautious. I would start with half a dose to make sure you aren't allergic, and move up from there.

Best of luck to you in treating your pain.
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.