Skip to content
Nutrition & Pain
NeNe_11 posted:
I dont know if anyone here visits the pain management discussions but the doctor over there posted this & thought you would all like to read it. Denise Hi All,

I recently attended the 2011 Nutrition and Health Conference put on by Dr. Andrew Weil and his crew, and I thought I would share with you some of the latest information provided on how nutrition can impact pain.

First of all, the hot topic of Vitamin D deficiency in our society remains a hot topic. Evidence suggests that our rate of Vitamin D deficiency remains very high and is associated with many different chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes rheumatoid arthritis, MS, and asthma, but you may have also heard that low Vitamin D is associated with chronic pain. In particular, muscle pain can improve by supplementing with 2000-3000 units of Vitamin D per day. I also heard that many insurance companies are now refusing to cover routine Vitamin D screening which makes no sense. Many of us may just spend too much time indoors to make enough.

Glucose levels that spike in our blood can also be a source of increased pain. It forms Advanced Glycation End Products (AGE) that activate our genes to create pro-inflammatory mediators that increase pain sensitivity in our nervous system. Learn about the glycemic index to help avoid foods that will increase your pain by forming AGE, and stay away from anything that has that awful high-fructose corn syrup in it.

Here are some foods shown to decrease inflammation and pain:

• Omega-3 Fatty Acids-found in fish, nuts, and flaxseed, and can be supplemented. Has been shown to reduce pain from many different sources, including fibromyalgia.
  • Soy protein and a combination of avocado-soybean unsaponafiables reduces joint pain
  • Ginger-reduces joint and muscle pain
  • Tea-contains compounds that protect collagen in the joints and reduce inflammation
  • Herbs like turmeric turn off the production of inflammatory mediators to preserve joints, nerves, and reduce rheumatoid arthritis.
  • Cherries-more on this later as the season approaches!

If possible, go to your nearest farmer's market this week and pick up whatever is in season to avoid turning on pain with processed, sugary foods. If nothing else, a little sun might do you some good. Bon Appetit!View Thread Posted by Peter Abaci, MD

fibroinsd responded:
I think this in general is good advice...and all stuff that couldn't hurt to try...

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

booch007 responded:
Thank you, thank you. I put this in the keeper section!

I knew some of it as you do learn these things when you read just about all that is out there. Hope everyone reads the post. Thanks again..Nene....................Nancy B

dollbug responded:
Hello NeNe....MiMi in NC....I do read about Dr. Weil and get some of his emails and info....yep....I know that the Vitamin D is really, really important....as I learned this from my very own personal experience..and I do know that the Omegas are really important for us as well..,.I found out just how important the Omegas are....but I am not a fish person....

I have not tried the ginger....but I do drink ginger ale when I have stomach issues...

I do use the tumeric....

I love cherries....dark ones..

Now...as for the tea issue....I do not drink tea....but mostly 95% water....which I feel is better for me anyway...

And I do take joint supplements....as I have had 4 right knee surgeries due to an accident many years ago...and my left knee is not good either...

I am so glad that you provided this for everyone....I sometimes think I am a broken record...and I am sure that people think I have gone "nuts on the Vitamin D issue"

Take care....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

jrae922 responded:
Hi NeNe,

Thank you for posting this. I inquired about nutrition recently, and Cece posted something about The Belly Fat Cure. Well, I did some research and I think I have found my golden ticket! I won't go into details because I don't want to sound like a spokesperson BUT I will say that I have been sugar-free for three days and I feel wonderful! I haven't had this much energy in 10 years! There is really something to be said for stablizing your insulin levels, especially by cutting out refined carbohydrates.

Does anyone else feel that we are especially susceptible to sugar addiction because of our chronic fatigue? I believe that because I have alcoholism in my genes as well as Fibromyalgia, I was destined for an out-of-control sugar addiction. Thankfully, I have realized that sugar is making me overweight and the craving-bingeing-crashing cycle was making me more exhausted.

Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to climb a mountain nor am I "cured" but I am now a firm believer that your diet can really improve your symptoms. When paired with stress reduction, adequate sleep, effective meds, and a little movement - I have a brighter outlook on my condition.

I sure hope this sinks in for someone else like it did for me.

Jessie

fibroinsd replied to jrae922's response:
So glad to hear this is going well for you....I know, when I started my diet, and knew I had to give up fruits...I was not a happy camper...I love fruit...hopefully, I will get to a point where I can add some back in...but I have a lot more weight to lose first...

Hang in there with the diet when it gets hard...I know I have days I want to pack it in...but then I remember that it is working !!! And I want that more !

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

NeNe_11 replied to jrae922's response:
Jessie-Im am happy to hear that you are going sugar free! I know I should too but to date have not tried. I dont eat alot of sugar, but any is too much for us. It probably would be good to go gluten free as well, but it is just so hard to change eating habits -not to mention the added stress of food shopping & the expense as well.
Please keep us posted on how it goes for you-I for one, am very curious & rooting for you as well.
Denise

jrae922 replied to NeNe_11's response:
Awwww, thanks! I'm so happy to have someone rooting for me. Giving up sugar is really tough because it's so addictive - not just physically, but mentally too!

I pray that my motivation is reinforced by the improvements in my energy level and overall wellbeing. It's hard to admit but sometimes I do things even though I know they are not good for me.

duchessgf04 replied to jrae922's response:
It was hard for me, until I found Splenda..........I hope that is allowed on here. I have no stock in the company, but I no longer even bake with sugar.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.