Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hysterectomy??
Shreck05 posted:
Hello Everyone,

I am contemplating on having a Hysterectomy. I go back to the OBGYN June 7th and I need to have a decision if I want to go through it or not. I have had cramping everyday for years along with pelvic pain plus the FM pain. I am not afraid of having the surgery but I am interested in everyones suggestions and opinions on this subject. I would especially like to hear from any and all that have had the surgery and what was the outcome afterwards as far as pain, menopausal mood swings and hot flashes.

I am truly thinking of having it done but my OBGYN wants me to look into it further to make sure it is the right decision for me.

Patiently waiting for everyones responses.

Dena

annette030 responded:
Why exactly would you be having it done? What pathology has the GYN found that would lead her to believe that you would be helped if you had a hysterectomy? If you have endometriosis, that would be outside your uterus so removing the uterus might not be helpful. How much of your pain is from FMS, that usually would not be expected to go away.

A hysterectomy only removes the uterus, leaving the rest of your female parts. Are you thinking of also having the rest removed too? If you are then you will go through what is called a surgical menopause post op unless you take hormones by RX.

How old are you? How long would you have to wait to go through menopause anyway? Maybe it is worth waiting, I don't know. I love menopause, I had minimal hot flashes and sweats, nothing else as far as I know. No more periods and no more cramps, hoorah!!

I don't think what your GYN meant was to take a poll of folks online, she might have meant you should do more research on the topic. I would read at the Mayo Clinic site, they have lots of good medical info. Ask the GYN for links to sites that she thinks might help you make this decision. She sounds a bit reluctant from what you say.

If it is not an emergency, then do your reading and think about it some more. Take your time, get a second opinion from another GYN outside of her group.

Take care, Annette

Shreck05 replied to annette030's response:
Annette,

I am 37 yrs. old. I have many problems with my uterus and ovaries. I have many abnormal pap smears, a cone biopsy done on my uterus, cysts, and enlarged ovaries. I have had chronic pelvic and cramping since 2000. The pain never subsided during my pregnancies. I have been seeing my GYNO on this situation long before I was diagnosed with FM. My mother was 25 when she had cervical cancer. I am not having any more children as I have 4.

I did research on the medical side of it but I wanted to get some input from ladies who have had the procedure done and if they could tell me what if any draw backs they had from having it done. Unfortunately I couldn't find a discussion board on here for this topic. I have read on this board that others have had it done.

My GYNO wants me to consider that pre-menopause may be rough and the pain may not go away.

Thanks for responding,
Dena

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Shreck05's response:
Hi Dena,

Thanks for sharing more of your story. I hope that others here who have Fibro and have had this done will chime in soon for you. :-)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

cj0611 replied to Shreck05's response:
Hi Dena, I too was contemplating a hysterectomy in my late 30s. My gyno, my mom, my grandma...so many people were trying to convince me that it was the best thing to do due to my anemia from bleeding more days of the month than not, fibroids, d and c surgeries, hospitalized due to the low iron count from the bleeding and I had my two kids that I always wanted. Bottom line, I put it off because it seemed too young. My mom and grandma all had their's in their 30s. I finally gave in at 43 and had a total hysterectomy. Once I got evened out on the Premarin, my iron came up and the energy level came back. yes, my fibro pain which was diagnosed two years prior to my hysterectomy was still there but all the other stuff was soooo much better. I wished then that I had done it earlier. I am now 55 yrs old and weaning off the premarin as I am now at the age that I should be almost through normal menopause. My gyno has assured me that my heart health and bones were better off because of the HRT. I of course worry about breast cancer but have learned that the risk of that (I have no family history) is less than the risk to my heart and bones without the estrogen replacement. Anyway, I have to say, I did not miss the bleeding, fatigue, mood swings, anemia, iron supplements at all!!! Of course everyone is different but for me it was such a good decision. Actually, dealing with the fibro alone was sooo much easier than dealing with that on top of the gynecological issues at the same time. I hope my story is a little helpful to you but you definitely need to do what is right for you. Will you be able to take hormone replacement therapy to manage the symptoms of the early onset of menopause and to protect your heart health and bones? That would be a concern to discuss with your gyno. I wish you the best and hope you'll keep us posted with your decision. Better days ahead I pray.

Dollbug responded:
Hello Dena.....and welcome.....I do not think I have "talked" to you.....MiMi in NC....I just wanted to chime in here....and tell you my personal experience....I had major issues with my period...and each year....they seemed to get even worse...so eventually, I did have a hysterectomy....and I was past 40....as my doctor did not think it was good to even consider it until then....

I can not say enough about how much better I felt...I did not have FM then though....but the surgery itself was a BIG DEAL for me....I had already had 3 c-sections with my children...I had "watched" my symptoms and had already figured out that most of them had something to do with my period...migraines, back issues, losing a lot of blood each month...I had talked to my doctor about this...and he kind of laughed and said...well, I do not think it is all being caused by your periods...

After my surgery and recovery time....I can not even begin to tell you how much better I felt...the doctor also told me...that I was correct...that my back pain was coming from my periods each month...and so were the migraines....it took me about 9 months though before I really felt "good" again...

Would I do this again? Absolutely....only I wish the doctor would have done it sooner....I still have the PMS part...and I guess I always will...I know exactly when I am suppose to have my periods....someone else might know if this eventually goes away or gets better....but overall....my surgery was definitely worth it....

I would also like to say this...as with anything and everything else...what works for one...may or may not work for you...everything is a "trial and error process"....as far as I am concerned...but you are the one who must make the decision as to whether or not you want to do this...as I am sure you know...there are always chances in any kinds of surgeries...

Take care and good luck....

I hope you will post again and keep us updated on how things are going for you....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

jrae922 replied to Shreck05's response:
Hi Dena,

Wow, what a tough decision! I think because you are still young, you might want to ask about what other options are available to you. My mother and sister each had tubal ligation when they were in their thirties and eventually things got so bad that their doctors recommended a hysterectomy. My mom refused and is now 64 (post-menopause and feeling much better). My sister is 42 and is still contemplating surgery.

How many of your problems do you think are hormonal vs. physical? You should get a second opinion but from what you have told us, surgery might be the best option.

Good luck and (((hugs))) to you!

Jessie

Shreck05 replied to jrae922's response:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am very grateful they all of you took the time to post.

I truly feel in my heart its the right choice to have it done but just like any other surgery the doctor needs to tell what complications may arise. My doctor was really stressing to me that pre-menopause is horrible. And no, she didn't mention about taking hormone pills but I will be asking when I go back. From what I see is that she wants me to wait a little longer but I have had enough. My body has taking a toll on me as it is and if there is a little relief, I am game.

Thanks again,
Dena

annette030 replied to Shreck05's response:
Continuing with the same pain is what I would worry about, with FMS, that is always a possibility.

Has she ever mentioned endometriosis?

I had one ovary and tube removed due to problems discovered when they went to tie my tubes. I went through a beginning of menopause until the other ovary kicked in. Later in my life I discussed a hystero-salpingo-oopherectopmy with my doctor as I wanted my migraines to stop and they seemed to be related to my cycles. He said there were no guarantees that that would happen, so I passed. He wouldn't even recommend an ablation to stop my bothersome periods.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Take care, Annette

Booch007 responded:
Good evening Dena,

I had a hysterectomy about 5 years ago or a bit more. I first wanted to save it and have fibroid ablations done, until I had a OB/GYN come into the office as a patient and in talking with her...she stopped me in my tracks and said "Listen, that organ is diseased, get it out. You have finished with it and it needs to be gone." Very stern, in fact I was surprised at her resolve.

I set up the surgery after having another vaginal ultrasound and it was a go. Tough operation as the uterus was removed not vaginally, but via the abdomen (stem to stern cut) It was so big even cutting it in half was still hard to get it out.

But when all was said and done, I am so glad to get something unhealthy out of me. The pathology report was so full of diseased tissue and inflammation...why was I trying to hold onto this? What was I thinking ?

Well I kept my one ovary (all I had) and now at 57 am going through menopause (I guess...hot flashes is all I have) (power surges!:)..) It is something you need to decide but I am sure God sent me that Doc that day and the look in her eyes made it clear to me what to do.

I share my story with you. Hope it helps. Nancy B

zingercan responded:
Hello Dena ~~~ I typed a response but somehow it got lost into the internet vacuum that sucks stuff away now & then..haha

I had a hysterectomy at age 29; I did not have FM then. Instead, I was lucky enough to have a period every day; and yes, I mean everyday for about a year. Being I was so young, the Dr. kept putting me off. I had a 2nd opinion and weighed my options. A few of them were injections to put me into menopause - then see if the periods would correct themselves/or stop. The wacky side-effect was I could just continue bleeding every day......something I was trying to get ride of NOT continue.

It was the best decision of my life; I've had no problems at all nor am I on any hormone therapy. I tried them for a while; but regardless if I stood on my feet all day; or sat all day - my legs would just throb. My mom & sister (younger) both have blood clotting issues; so did my maternal grandfather. It scared me too much so I stopped them.

It's 19 years later and I know for certain it was the best choice for me. And yes, the Dr. kept pushing it aside until one day I made an appt., walked in his office and said, "either fix me or change me into a man." It was then he knew I had my fill and scheduled me.

Hope your able to gather enough information to make a clear decision.

Candi

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.