Skip to content
What's YOUR Biggest Fibromyalgia Pet Peeve?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
This discussion was begun a long time ago so we hope you'll join in our NEW discussion on this topic instead of posting on this thread:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN IN ON THE NEW DISCUSSION

Having Fibromyalgia affects us in many ways, some serious, some silly.

What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to having Fibromyalgia?

(And welcome to all newcomers! Thank you for joining in here. If you'd like to start a new discussion on the board to say hello to the community and/or ask some questions or get support, we hope you'll start a new discussion. To do this, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop-down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

MahmaRissa responded:
I am a dancer and right now, it hurts way to much to dance...so that is a serious bother for me.

Silly something, I can't wear my necklace anymore...and that is so annoying.

~Mahma

angelswife responded:
My biggest pet peeve is feeling guilty when I need to relax and take care of myself!

I was trained very well in the fine art of putting myself last. I am still trying to break the habit. I want to do what I need to do for myself without feeling like I have to ask permission! That's probably why I ended up with the Fibro in the first place, because I put myself on the bottom of the totem pole, so to speak. I can't do that any more...now, if my brain would only get the message!

FibroMitz replied to angelswife's response:
I totally hear where you're coming from. I hate to ask help thinking "i CAN DO IT"! But in reality I DO need the help. Sometimes were to proud. We need to swallow that pride and ask 4 the help. That's something very hard 2 swallow. Especially where you're used of doing things by yourself. Hang in there! God Bless!

Kinkatia responded:
My biggest pet peeve is probably friends telling me I'm lame when I can't hang out after 8pm (I have a strict bedtime) or being frustrated with me when I have to back out of plans. Thankfully, explaining Spoon Theory to my closest friends seems to have helped them understand a lot better, and the number of board game nights as opposed to nights out has drastically increased.

The other one is not being able to read! I've apparently developed one of my mother's symptoms, in which my eyesight changes slightly when I'm in the middle of a flare-up. And my eyes are really sensitive as it is. Even a slightly off prescription in my glasses makes reading painful and difficult. It's times like these that I lament being a bookworm and going to a Great Books college!

angelswife replied to Kinkatia's response:
Hi Kinkatia---maybe audiobooks would be an option when you need to rest your eyes. I am an avid reader too and I run into the same challenge when I flare. Just a thought...

Irmouse1 responded:
Gosh there are so many. But my biggest would be the dumb look I get when I say to people, that don't know me very well, that I suffer from Fibromyalgia. I can tell by the look on their face that It's like I just fell from space ;(

And no I don't go out of my way to enlighten them. If they really want to know what Fibromyalgia is knowledge is just a mouse click away.

Linda R.

missshortyd responded:
My biggest pet peeve is waking up everyday pain.!

baileybuttons replied to angelswife's response:
It took my brain 15 years to figure that one out! A few sessions with a therapist fixed that one 15 years too late, but I am good to go now! My kids got the message and my ex-husband is trying to learn to live on his and not doing it very well! OH WELL!

MrsNikkiSixx responded:
I can only pick ONE?? Impossible!
~No motivation or ambition
~Constant pain that never goes away
~Terrible fatigue
~Depression & Sleep problems
~Lack of sex drive
~Cant plan for anything because you always feel rotten
~Feelings of hopelessness and guilt

Ugh, I wouldnt wish this on my worse enemy

catpug responded:
No support from family or friends. Newly diagnosed, but yet having to go through a complete cardiac workup due to syncope. Calling it neurocardiogenic hypotension at the moment. Hurt all over all the time and no energy to do anything. No stage 3 or 4 sleep. Feel depressed and all alone.

luvgarening replied to angelswife's response:
If I didn't know better I would think you were talking about me. My brain says go and my body says I don't think so. I hope we can all find the inner strength to put ourselves first and take care of ourselves, because by doing that we will be a better person to those around us. Keep up the good fight I am sure our brains will catch on some day.,

mrahoe responded:
hi everyone

i guess mine would be the fact that when you mention fibromyalgia people automaticly think its all in your head. .

if i have 1 more person tell me to just get out and do something & il feel better. .im gonna blow. .

john
A piece of advice from the Sultan of Swat, Babe Ruth: It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.

Jillc62 replied to Kinkatia's response:
I'm hear on you on this one and the significant other isn't much better!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
These are great pet peeves!

I don't know that I could pick just one either.

Keep 'em coming....
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 213 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.