Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dr. P ****Oxygen Therapy For Fibromyalgia ?
dollbug posted:
Hello Dr. P....

MiMi in NC.....I have been away for a while....but I do have a question for you....I have read some interesting things about "oxygen therapy"....so I would like to "pick your brain" and get some information on how you view this....

I do not quite understand this....but I do think that this might make a difference for a lot of us FMers....have you tried this? Has any of your patients tried this? And if so...results of it?

Just interesting in knowing more about this....I think I have mention to you that I have chronic fatigue also....so I was wondering if this might just help me with the fatigue also....

I hope that you are doing well....

Take care....and as always...thank you for your wonderful knowledge and good humor as well....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi MiMi,

Great to hear from you and thanks for the question! By oxygen therapy, perhaps you mean hyperbaric oxygen therapy? This treatment is the medical use of oxygen delivered to the tissues at higher than normal atmospheric pressure. A hyperbaric oxygen chamber is used. This therapy is approved for certain conditions such as decompression sickness, air embolism, crush injuries, and ischemic wounds.

This therapy is not approved for fibromyalgia and is considered experimental. I checked the insurances in my area and they do not cover this treatment for fibromyalgia.

Testimonial reports show a number of patients suffering from fibro who have been treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy have reported improvement in their pain and fatigue. One research study I saw was performed at a Turkish military hospital. This double-blind, placebo-controlled study exposed a small number fibromyalgia patients to a total of 15, 90-minute hyperbaric oxygen therapy treatments. Results of the study indicated that fibromyalgia patients receiving hyperbaric oxygen therapy reported a decreased number of tender points and an increased pain threshold after 15 sessions.

I think additional studies are necessary before we can say if this really works. It is always nice to see a favorable study, but in order to get this approved as a treatment for fibro, a lot more research needs to be done. I hope one day we can be responding to each other on WebMD from the inner comfort of our hyperbaric oxygen chambers!

Dr. P

talkfibro9 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I am interested in this topic also and have been hearing about hyperbaric oxygen therapy. A book was just recommended to me called "Power Up Your Brain" by Dr. David Perlmutter, a neurologist who has used this method with success.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.