Skip to content
Itchy scalp
lvngwthpain posted:
I'm very curious if anyone else experiences a very itchy scalp. Mine itches most before I go to sleep, when I wake up in the morning, and when I sweat. Sometimes it get so bad that it even hurts to touch my head in the slightest (this I'm used to because of FM all over). The itching is really bothering me. I'm using a tea tree shampoo with peppermint in it and it only helps for just a little while. My Dr. and hair stylist has looked and they see nothing wrong like dandruff or psoriasis. What could it be?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Laurac104 responded:
Yes, I get this too! I use a medicated shampoo a couple times a week and get some releif, although I have to tell you it smells like shoe polish. My thought is that it is related possibly to the tramadol. I notice that dries my mouth and eyes, maybe it is causing dryness in my scalp as well, which in turn is making me itch. I would be interested to see what other people have to say about this too.

xperky responded:
Oh yes, itchy scalp is a problem for me too. It started a couple years ago, well before my fibro dx, and before taking tramadol or other meds. I thought I had lice! Nope. I find a popular antidandruff shampoo/conditioner blend helps, even though I don't have dandruff.

Curious, mine is also worse before bedtime. I think it has something to do with over-sensitive issues. FM can cause those. When I get tired, all the FM symptoms increase. Some days my head has areas that are painful to touch too. I guess it's all our FM.

Be aware of any products you apply to style your hair too. I find some to irritate more than others. Pricey doesn't always mean better also.

I hope you find relief with the change in shampoo. Also, don't start scratching. It's so hard to stop once you start!
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

Laurac104 replied to xperky's response:
That is a good point about the sensitivity, mine is worse before bed as well. I also find my skin in general does get more sensitive. The more tired I get, the looser and softer I need my clothes to be. Otherwise I feel like I am going to go crazy! So xperky, I think you are onto something there.

lvngwthpain replied to Laurac104's response:
I'm so glad to get answers...I've been thinking I was crazy with this itchy scalp. I had wondered if it was due to the sensitivity. Yes, when I am tired a lot of things hurt and increase the pain. Today, I just want to go back to bed! I had my counseling session today and it's nice because his wife also has FM so he can easily relate to me. But once I get home, it's just a huge fight. My mom says that dad has it too, however they never said a word about it until I was diagnosed. So, they think I'm just exaggerating my symptoms. No, I'm not! The only medicine I take for FM right now is Savella, and it's not the cure all for what's wrong. It is helping, but I feel like I need something more. My muscles are aching so bad right now. I'm going to go to bed again. I'm so grateful for all the support here!

Lish2007 replied to lvngwthpain's response:
I suffer from an ichy scalp too alot. Not nessesarily before bed, but it's evening time usually...I think it's just dry but don't know why either...i'm so glad to know i'm not the only one and that i'm not going crazy..haha....
~Soft Hugs~ ~~May your day be bright and painless~~Alicia

Rainbowfish74 replied to Laurac104's response:
I feel the same way all the time. It's awful. These days I can't handle how itchy I get. It's annoying and embarrassing.

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

I too have issues and really no seen rash there. I am itchiest behind the ear to mid skull area (it is where the muscles are that hold the head up and then the crown of the head. I use Head and Shoulders and a Tar based shampoo anyway. It helps.

With menopause down my neck and sweating is in there...yes it triggers it as well. I even see it in my grandaughter when she sweats, you will see here start to scratch her head a bit..

Try the shampoos and see if it helps with alleving the frequency of it . It can be annoying right? Nancy B

1dazygal responded:
I get dry itchy scalp also. I think I only notice it at nt because I'm winding down.

My hair is shoulder length. I use Head &Shoulders every 2-3 days. If I wash it daily it makes mine worse. I also only use conditioner 1x a week. The other days I spray a detangler on the ends of my hair.

Instead of scratching I brush my head nightly. Feels good and loosens the oil on your scalp.

My skin on arms, hands, legs and feet are very dry. I think it's all side-effects from meds. I've just started J&J baby oil gel on there areas and gettin great results. I use the Shea and cocoa butter flavor. No baby produts smell.

I avoid any type of hair spray it just makes a build up on your scalp. Hope you find some answers here. Oh yes my experience with tar type soaps was awful. They strip your hair of natural oils.

If you color your hair try switching brands.
SHARE A SMILE WE COULD ALL USE ONE, THAT
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

spookiesmom replied to 1dazygal's response:
During a skin check at my derma. She noticed my scalp was broken out. And itchey. She told me to get 4 of the leading dandruff shampoos, alternate nights. Not the tar shampoo, would turn my white hair a weird shade! Anyway, none of it helped. So I give in and massage gently.

Hope somebody has an answer

xperky replied to spookiesmom's response:
Lately, I've tried a store brand baby shampoo. I tried it for a while because my dry eyes were bothering me and the Head n Shoulders was aggravating the eyes. (FM does create so many challenges!) It seems to be pretty good for the itchy scalp too. I'm also rinsing extra well, to make sure there is no shampoo left there to irritate. Maybe baby shampoo will be better for you, spookiesmom, since it is gentle. It makes a nice body wash on my scrubber as well.

This time of year, the winter dryness can make anyone itchy, so be sure to moisturize any itchy skin. My dermatologist recommended Cetaphil cream, in the jar. It hydrates without perfumes or a greasy feeling. A little goes a long way.

I also like to take a long bath, once a week, when I deep condition my hair after washing it twice. It feels really good after that. At the end of my bath I add bath oil and soak everything except my head. It's so nice.
With Compassion,
Margaret

RosemarieD responded:
OMG! I have had this problem for ages and just found out last year I have fibro. I have tried everything! I don't have dandruff either. The last thing I tried seemed to help. Head & Shoulders for Itchy Scalp and then I wash again with Tea Tree Shampoo. I also use Head & Shoulders Itchy Scalp Conditioner.
I hope this helps someone. I thought I was nuts!

Gami2Five replied to RosemarieD's response:
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 6 yrs. ago. Itchy scalp began couple yrs ago & read this could be part of fibromyalgia, accepted it with no big concern until my hair begin to slowly thin out. I don't want to be bald so today I saw my dermatologist. Praise God she found the cause for my thinning hair. Yes, the itchy scalp is fibromyalgia related which in turn has caused irritation and swelling in the crown of my head which is where all my itching is and where the thinning is occurring. She prescribed a topical steroid foam, Luxiq. I started using it tonight, can't wait to see if it helps with itching and hair loss. Crazy that one " disorder" can affect the body in such bizarre ways:-) Blessings to you all.

maggiethedoglover replied to Gami2Five's response:
Hello FMily,

Itchy scalp is only one of the places I itch. Behind the ears is the worst and once I start scratching, it gets worse. I only wash my hair every other day now and use a good shampoo that doesn't strip all of the natural oils out of it. I also have a good conditioner that I use at least once a week.

I know this is probably winter related, but my skin is so dry, I have to use baby oil after bathing and lotion later in the day.

I had to get fingerprinted for my temporary job recently and the FBI rejected them because all of the cracks in my fingers prevented good prints from coming through. Been slathering on cocoa butter lotion several times a day because I go back for another try tomorrow. Oh well, if I don't pass, I won't be able to run criminal history checks on offenders, one of the parts of the job that I like least.

Thanks for all the info and for letting me know that I'm not alone!

Hugs,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

NUTTSS replied to lvngwthpain's response:
I hope you have found some relief. I also have FM. so far Im not using any pain meds. I found this awsum natural stuff. Its called (3 in 1 formula) from MOUNTAIN MEADOW HERBS and also there Herbal Calcuim totally amazing.
But the itchy scalp is driving me crazy!!!!!! I really wanna shave my head bald and take a steal wool to it. I told my doc that and she perscribed a perscription shampoo. It doesnt help!!!!!!!!! Im going crazy!!!!! HELP???????????

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.