Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Information needed.
justaman31178 posted:
Hello everyone
My name is Harry and I was diagnosed with Fibro 7 years ago, along with several other conditions. I suffered for several years before I finally had to know what was wrong. Well, I admit it was a man thing, men don't cry sort of thing. Go ahead and say it, "stupid men", but I was brought up that the man of the house had to be tough. To this day I am still working 40 hours a week and I am 58 years old. I live in pain 24/7/52and very few people know besides my wife. I thank God for her, she is a wonderful understanding woman. I am not ashamed of my problems, but I am afraid to tell people because they just do not understand. I think the worst part is that Doctors don't even understand or beleive in it. We need an awareness program to inlighten people and most of all Doctors of the horrors this problem causes us. Constant pain makes life a bigger struggle than people can imagine. Employers need to be made aware. My employer would simply tell me to hit the door if I couldn't do my job. I am a maintenance man. I do a lot of electrical work, plumbing, painting carpentry and so forth. Some strenous work. I have to hide my pain to keep my job, and sometimes I feel this isn't fair.
How do we get this awareness out there without causing ourselves more problems?

I feel for everyone here. We all have the same problems and suffer through some horrible days and nights. Sometimes I think it wouldn't be so bad if there was a little more understanding out there. I do mean understanding, not pity.
I thank you all for letting me vent. You are a wonderful group of peopleand I am proud to be one of you.

1wareaglefan responded:
Thank you, Harry! We're proud to have you join us. I do hope you'll come here as often as you can to vent, ask questions, and share your advice and encouragement with us, too! We all need each other through this struggle.

I totally agree with what you said about people needing to be made aware. I hope and pray that one day it happens!

It's very nice to meet you, and I hope you'll stick around!
Take care......Elizabeth

KaterinMP responded:
Hi Harry!
Its not easy having to hide it from everyone, I am glad you have a wonderful wife though!
Sorry I've not much to say (really bad fibrofog atm) but wanted to let you know "I hear you!"

xperky responded:
Hi Harry! Your job must be difficult some days. Just getting down on your knees and back up must be rough. Also bending around to get at pipes and such...ouch. Be sure to have some cushions, like gardening pads, to put your knees on!

Some day soon, I hope this illness will be recognized like arthritis, and such, are. There are quite a few deficient chemicals in us, according to research. It seems like a test would be some combo of those deficiencies. Soon, I hope!

I know some of the other men here will be happy to meet you. Being male with FM seems to be even more difficult than for women.
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

jrae922 responded:
Hi Harry,

It's great to hear from you and I know that your fellow men with Fibro understand completely. I agree with Margaret - it's harder for men that have Fibro because of the stigma that men are supposed to be tough.

We have Fibromyalgia Awareness Day on May 12 every year but I heard about something wonderful recently that I would like to share. The National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association has launched an ad campaign that features a video that will play 24/7 in Times Square until July 5th that calls for a cure for FM. I believe that it will certainly raise awareness. I think we have come a very long way in the 14 years since I have been diagnosed but there is much more work to be done. I think that the best we can do as patients is to educate anyone who will listen. Not everyone can/will hear you. You can also donate to the NFCPA so that they can fund research and awareness programs like the one in Times Square. I try to send them $30 every year but every little bit counts!

(((Hugs to you, Harry)))

Jessie

1wareaglefan replied to jrae922's response:
Oh, Jessie, I'd love to see that ad! Why just in Times Square? Oh well, maybe it'll make it around everywhere else! If you find out how we can see it online, please let us know!

Thanks, Elizabeth

jrae922 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Yes! You can see it on YouTube if you search for NFCPA.

I'm sure they are working on televising the video on TV but all of that takes money - which is why I encourage everyone that can to donate to NFCPA.

KaterinMP replied to jrae922's response:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD81VKBkxHc Here is the link to A Add, is this it?
I like it... ANd i want the t-shirt!

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
363 of 390 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.