Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
can my 3yr old be experiencing FM?
acharper25 posted:
Hi everyone I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with FM when I was 14 yrs old, had symptoms starting a 5yrs and I am now a 28yr old mom of a 3 yr old son.

I am worried that he is starting to exhibit signs of FM. I know there is still a lot of unanswered questions about boys and FM. I'm just wondering if I am being over cautious or if this could be a real concern of mine. Close family, like my parents, feel I have a genuine concern. But some friends and other family think I am just being a hypochondriac and reading to deep into his symptoms. I just shake the overwhelming similarities that he is showing, that I showed when I was a child.

My husband expressed concern that he could be mimicking me when i have pain. But I try not to show it in front of him. Because I want to see if this is the case.

I guess what I am looking for is some outside support. And whether or not you all out there have experienced similar things yourselves with your kids, or were a child with a mom who had FM and now you have it. It just gets frustrating to talk to people who have never experienced FM, so I am coming here to get opinions from people who are living with it like I am.

An_200116 responded:
Hello-

I believe I had FM from a very early age. FM is obviously genetic in my family.

Since I was born I did not sleep well (according to my mom!) and I have memories from very early of laying awake in bed for hours at a time. Even as a teenager, I never slept in--my body would not sleep and the pain got me up.

I am not a medical professional, but I do believe, from experience, that FM can be present very early. I also think that if I had been treated earlier--especially for my sleep problems, I may not have the same extent to my symptoms as I do now. I mean, I went through growing, puberty, and into adulthood with very little restorative sleep . I am 29 now and am in pain every day.

I think it's something you can definitely watch for in your son. I'm not saying a child should be on the cocktail of meds many of us are. But I think, in some cases, that if symptoms are caught early and treated, they don't cause so much pain in the long run. There are some natural treatments that I might pursue. Of course, being "natural" does not automatically mean "safe". And I'm also thinking about things like heat therapy, etc.

From an emotional standpoint, I am somewhat glad that I wasn't diagnosed in my childhood. At the time I don't think a doctor would have picked up on FM and so I'm glad I wasn't sent through the ringer. But also, I lived a very normal childhood. I really didn't know any different than experiencing pain and I was able to be a very good student, and have a normal, active social life.

I am not a parent, so I realize I'm not speaking from experience, but I think if I did have kids and saw FM in them at such a young age, I would try to treat it without making a big deal out of it, mostly to the child itself. I probably wouldn't give it a name. I'd definitley deal with the symptoms but try to make the child's life as normal as possible.

This is a complicated issue. You may want to pose your question to the doctor's on this board, too. Just put their names in the subject.

sarahnataliaserenity responded:
hi, i'm going to be a senior in high school and have had fibro since i was a sophmore. it's good that you're so concerned about your son although at the age of three he probably picks up more than you think. if not that it could be something else just watch him over the next few months. i really hope things go well for him.

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC...actually I think anything is possible....especially since you had symptoms at 5....is it something to worry about? Well....it could be...but I would not think too much about it.....I would allow your son to be as "normal" as he can be....and I would also continue to research ways that you could do to help him cope better...

I would make sure that he gets the sleep that he needs...and I would also make sure he eats right....there are things that you can do now....that may or may not help him...

Making sure he takes a warm bath at night....and perhaps using some lavender lotion on him....to help his body to relax...try to make him rest as needed....

I do hope you are mistaken about this....but it would not hurt for you to take any and all precautions so that he will cope better...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

acharper25 replied to Dollbug's response:
Thanks everyone for the advice and support. We are trying not to bring too much attention to it because I don't want him to do the normal 3yr old mimic to get out of things... LOL. I'm going to bring it up at his next appointment and we are working hard on getting him to eat something other than spaghetti and chicken all the time. Now that you all mention it, the lavender lotion used to help a lot. I'm not sure why we stopped using it! But he loves his baths and loves going to the pool and just soaking in the water. Right now the Motrin seems to help with the severe pains. The oddest thing is that I have never shown him any of the tender points (even on myself), yet that's what he points out when he says he is hurting. Which is why I jumped to this first.

jrae922 replied to acharper25's response:
Hi there,

I was diagnosed at 17 (though I believe I've had FM since I was 5) and now have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. All of the women in my family have FM, so I expect that my daughter could show symptoms. Sometimes I suspect she has it now.

I have spoken to my rheumatologist (who also specializes in pediatric rheumatology) and she told me that her youngest patient is 5 years old.

My personal belief is that it's difficult to know when a child has a condition when they are very young because they can't communicate exactly what they are feeling. You may not know for sure what's wrong (if anything) until he's a couple of years older.

Mimi gave you some great recommendations about the warm baths and the lavender lotion. Because you have FM yourself, you know to be gentle with him. I think patience and soft hugs go a long way to help a child who is in pain.

See what his pediatrician says - it wouldn't hurt to seek the advice of a pediatric rheumatologist. Watch his sleep patterns and listen to your motherly instincts. I know he's in good hands with you. ;)

(((Hugs)))

Jessie

acharper25 replied to jrae922's response:
Aww thank you. We are trying to not bring too much attention to it. We want to make sure we are seeing real symptoms and not just over reacting. His sleeping is the worst. Most nights he just cant get comfortable. I am going to get lavendar lotion at the store this weekend. I hope that it helps.

Thanks for the support.

((hugs))

Angela

me_n_my_4 responded:
Hi Angela,
I can completly relate to you, I have a two year old that has been having unexplained joint pain or something of that nature sice December after she received some immunizations when she was only 15 months or so. I am pretty sure that it wasn't the immunizations I just thing her symptoms just happened to show up at the time. I thought that I was crazy and that I was just imagining things. I myself was only diagnosed with RA and Fibro back in March and in my case none of my kids never knew I was in pain because I never complained. At first I tried to ignore it but then it seemed to get worse and the mortin that her pediatrican recommded giving to her just didn't help much with her pain after while and because she has been taking it so long for pain I am worried about the side effects of taking it without knowing exactly why she has too.She would have flares of pain sometimes contantly for a month or so and then a couple of weeks where her pain was not that bad (bareable). I think at one point in time my husband thought I was overreacting but now to this day her issues are her and he himself as been able to first hand see her pain and struggles. We have have been to neurologist and waiting for an upcoming appoint to get a second opinion from another rheumi. When she is not in pain she is a normal toddler and is so busy and alive but when she is in pain it takes a huge chunk out of her personality and she is just so sad because she has pain and can't do the things she wants to do like running, playing, and jumping. Me and my husband are even know able to tell if her pain is mild or severe by the way she reacts. When her pain is bad she just walks around saying " ouch my knee , ouch my arm", and when she is in severe pain she just screams to the top of her lungs and holds whatever is hurting and crys mommy mommy hurt. It has even gotten to the point where she has to take motrin as needed at daycare becaue she has had several flare episodes there too. So even though I want her to have a normal childhood I feel that whatever is plaguing her is robbing her of her childhood and it's my job as her mom to fix it so that she can continue on with her life.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.