Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can Fibro Patient Donate Kidney?
admoneat posted:
Need a DOCTOR'S ADVICE! My friend needs a kidney transplant, but before i go thru the screening process, I thought I'd check on whether there were any restrictions on Fibro patients donating organs. I suspect that my recovery time would be much longer than a healthy person, but beyond that, are there any reasons I cannot donate my kidney? It's really the only organ that's never given me any trouble Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. ~admoneat

jrae922 responded:
Hi there,

I donated my kidney to my cousin in 2004. There is a lot of screening that you have to go through before the team of doctors decide if you are a good candidate (besdies the blood work, you go through a complete medical and psychiatic workup).

I would never say that I regret my decision but there was a lot more to the process than just some time healing from the surgery. It does take longer for the donor to heal (even without the FM) and there is more pain. I experienced a bout of depression after the operation and it was really hard when my cousin eventually passed away.

Your FM is a factor but it doesn't mean that you aren't a good candidate. I will be happy to speak with you more about it one on one if you like.

Take care,
Jessie

admoneat replied to jrae922's response:
Jessica,

Thank you for your quick reply, and your story. Unfortunately, it seems that my willingness to help my friend, has stalled before it even got started.. Amazingly enough, at the age of 47, I realize I have no idea what my blood type is. I don't have insurance or any funds to get my blood "typed", and the free clinic I go to is really not eager to spend money typing my blood. UCLA requires that you at least know your blood type to even fill out the first application.

I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin, but you really did give the most precious gift.

~admoneat

dalmatianlover replied to admoneat's response:
If you donate blood, they will type it for you.

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

This is my thought too. I have a deformed collection system in my left kidney but the actual kidney is pristine. I have asked to donate it a few times. My physicians I work with say...no...don't leave yourself with only one.

Now I am with a urologist in our practice and I asked the same thing. He says I am crazy. I have to protect that kidney with antibiotics each year as it is at risk for infection as the collection system doesn't empty well. I KNOW someone can use it, I KNOW that the dialysis pt's are waiting.

I also know that the DONOR has a harder post op course than the recipient and it is a great act of love. I know that the donor's bills are paid by the insurance company of the recipient as well. So no cost to you.

The only down side is we protoect so strongly someone with one kidney. Many things can effect a single kidney person. Like in pneumonia, the antibiotics can challenge it. The CT scans or MRA's with contrast...big protect that happens.
It is not the end of the world but it is al you have and straining it is something they take seriously.

I am holding out if someone in the family needs it. We have diabetes on my husbands side and they get kidney involvement and can really get in trouble (including my husband) so I do hold back

I do not think that FM is a deterrant to donating. you can contact the national tissue registy that follows the organs and see. Or have your friend ask her nephrologist.

I don't give my blood becuase of worry. Since we don't know how we all got here in this mess.....Years ago Hepatitis C was not named or even followed, and people became infected from this lack of knowledge. I just stay away from sharing....
I feel though my organ (which is washed in saline and empty when given) to the new person, is not the carrier or root of my issues.

Good luck in this want to be a giver. It is a great act of love.

NancyB

admoneat replied to booch007's response:
Thank you for all of the responses. I did not donate my kidney, my friend found a perfect match from a friend of a friend three years ago, and has adjusted nicely. He was very lucky that he found a match from within his own circle, within a couple of months, and did not have to wait on the long, long list. I think that it was a good decision for me not to donate. My fibromyalgia fatigue has gotten much, much worse. I recently underwent cataract surgery in one eye, and that simple 15 minute surgery laid me up for triple the amount of time that it does a "normal" person. The kidney surgery would have depleted me to nothing. My friend is so beloved in his community, that I knew he was never in any danger of not finding a match. I had just wanted to help if I could. The act of donation is truly the gift of life, and I am thankful to those of you who can do it.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.