Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New "symptoms?" joints popping & biting cheek in sleep -
13Lynn posted:
It seems every week I'm writing something new in my journal. The last couple of weeks I have noticed my knee, shoulder, etc. keeps popping. It doesn't hurt, it's just loud! And then I am also waking myself up in pain because I have bitten the inside of my cheek. Several days it was hard to eat because the inside of my cheek was so swollen.
Is anyone else experiencing this or is this just something weird?
Hope everyone is having a decent Monday - Lynn

xperky responded:
Lynn, I experience both, but then again I'm just weird! LOL.

My doc says I've got some spurs on my neck from osteo arthritis, and I guess they can pop. I don't know why my feet, knees and back pop though. Some days are worse than others. Do you have arthritis?

I have bitten the inside of my mouth by accident and it swells a little and I keep reinjuring it. (Uncoordinated?) I also find myself doing things with my mouth/teeth when I'm anxious and that can be something to think about.

I think these are probably just normal body things that happen sometimes. We just have to put up with them!

I'm curious if others know anything about these pesky things.

Margaret
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

13Lynn replied to xperky's response:
Hi Margaret,
I guess we can be weird together! It's always nice to have something in common with someone else! LOL
About 6 years ago my doc said I have osteo-arthritis. But when my rheum. doc dx me with fibro a few months ago she told me my xrays looked really good. I haven't met with her to be able to ask if I was mis-dxed with the OA.
The popping for me has been mainly my shoulders & knees.
I have bitten the inside of my mouth while eating - but never until lately while I'm asleep!
I have always said if anything strange is going to happen it will always be with me! : )
Take care - Lynn

mymyrt replied to xperky's response:
Shall we have a class in cheekbiting l0l? I can certainly help with the education. I have scar tissue in both cheeks, and I have to be very careful when eating or speaking. I know I grind my teeth in my sleep (when I sleep) as my teeth are becoming more and more sensitive. I also have cracked molars. If it's weird, I'm there with these rest of the special people here. We can steal Austin's motto and say instead "Keep Fibro Weird."

Hugs, everyone. My life is a stinking pile of some undefinable detritus at the moment, and my body is responding in kind.

I sincerely hope everyone else is having a better day/week.

Joan
Knowledge is power.

WickettWI responded:
In regards to the cheek biting, I find myself doing the same. I even have a lump from biting the same spots. I think I might have TMJ as well, and I have to wear a mouth guard at night otherwise I clench my teeth so bad, I am afraid I might crack them! I also notice if I do not wear the mouth guard, my jaw pops all day long the next day, only on the right side, and it hurts. As far as the popping of the joints, I have felt it and heard that too, so it's not "weird", well maybe it is, but hey. When it happens to me, it's painful. Does yours hurt when it "pops"?

chocobunfl replied to WickettWI's response:
I am like rice crispies in my joints SNAP, CRACKLING, AND POP. It is constanly when i get up from sitting and out of bed. It does not hurt but can be a lil embarrassing when Im around other people. i clench down on my teeth also; now it has become a habit and sometimes i do not even realize i am doing it until my jaw starts to hurt. In addition I can not open my mouth but so far before i start feeling pain in my jaw joints. This Firbro is a bummer...................

emily164 responded:
Every join on my cracks and pops. Frequently painful before doing so, and the moment it pops but feels better afterwards. My biggest problem is trying to sleep and waking in pain needing to "pop" something.

I do have a biting problem at night, I don't bite my check but I bite my tongue so often I am not sure how to talk some day and talking is my job. It gets difficult to eat and I never want my tongue to touch the sides of my teeth.

Guess we're all weird here with our rice crispy joints and self chewing nighttime activities!

missist replied to emily164's response:
Haven't ever seen this one on a fibro list..but I do bite my cheek too. both actually--usually if I chew gum which I do sometimes when I have to talk to people as my mouth can be very dry from meds.

as for noisy joints--my neck is crazy loud. I do have bone spurs and OA/deg. disc pretty intensley in neck; more moderate in other areas. knees and ankles ahve sometimes popped but not recently.

franr responded:
Hi Lynn
I am not sure why your joints have a popping sound but you may want to consult an orthopedic MD or PT. The biting of your cheek or inside of your lip maybe caused by the maligment of your teeth,so you may want to see your dentist. Sometimes when the teeth are not lined up right our bite is off, causing us to bite the inside if our mouths.Or you may want to be checked for tmj and if this is the case you might need a nite guard to wear. I hope this helps.......Fran

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
460 of 535 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.