Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
personal weakness
sarahnataliaserenity posted:
first off let me start off by saying that this question isn't meant to be offesive and is just for my personal curriousity. does anyone every wish that they had a different disease that was more well known, that had indeniable proof?

Irmouse1 responded:
WOW that is a really interesting question. Honeslty I have never considered it. But since I am if this were a poll I'd have to say NO. And I have had the fibro DX for over 30 years now and long before anyone even dealt with it as a real illness, well, not one that wasn't connected to our brains.

And this hasn't been any fun for me. I have had years and years of poor medical care for i"t"/ fibro, poorer even mental care for it. I've had to endure stares, disbelief and even being called a liar at some points by doctors, friends and family along my fibro path. And having said that, I'd still say NO.

I guess it's because I have learned to live with ' the unknown illness' and frankly wouldn't want to think about ' what if it were something else' , maybe much a much worse something else. Ye God this is more than enough.

And as time has proven to the medical community: a half a million people with this illness can't all be nuts, making it up or just plan cry babies. Nope, its for real now and we've got so much going for us out there in the way of help and aides that as time goes on whats out there to help us with our symptoms will just get better and better.

So Nope.. and I don't mean by that I like what I have, I'd love to get a cure going for it, but trade it down for something else... thats a Nope.
Linda R.

dollbug responded:
Hello sarah...MiMi in NC....actually no would be my personal answer....as my husband is a cancer survivor...and I think that once you have actually "watched" someone suffer with cancer....then you do not worry about having to deal with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM.....

My husband looked like death warmed over....no joke...he lost down to nothing....and the doctors did NOT think he would pull through....but he did.....as this was many years ago...

GOD has truly blessed us....in more ways than I can count...

Living with the wrath of the dragon does take effort....and I hate feeling the way I do some days....but we FMers must do what it takes to survive....we must keep on keeping on....

I know that FM is real....as I am sure all of the FMers here know....and I guess that is what really counts....we just have to take one day at a time....and hope that perhaps tomorrow will be better...

Interesting thought though...

Thanks for sharing...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Kinkatia replied to dollbug's response:
I was actually relieved to get my diagnosis, since the other most likely thing was lupus.

As much as I'd like to have something that was more well-known and better understood, I wouldn't trade the fibro for anything (other than not having it, but hey, wouldn't we all?). If I'm going to have something chronic and difficult to deal with, I'd rather it be something non-degenerative, which will force me to take care of myself and make me appreciate the little things in life more.

And that's what having fibromyalgia has done for me. Yes, I occasionally deal with bouts of depression because of it. But I get through them and rise above it and thrive, not because I'm not suffering, but because I can. Despite everything, I can. And that's important to me. I'm learning to manage my symptoms, and the better I get at it, the more I can do.I have a million silly little things I want to do, and there's still the chance to go out there and do them. That is important to me.

Fibromyalgia may be awful at best, but it hasn't taken away my freedom, and I can keep it from getting in the way of simply being me.

xperky responded:
Interesting question. I do wish people were more educated about FM, and I do wish there was undeniable proof of FM. However, the only good thing about FM is that it is not supposed to get worse, or kill us. (Sometimes it feels so bad we wish it would though!)

On my way to my FM dx, the docs thought I had MS. They still watch me for MS, but I'm so glad I don't have that so far. I imagine I'd get more support and sympathy from family and friends if I had MS, but I'll take FM over that, gladly.
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

booch007 responded:
No because I have developed a wellness window from 7-5pm and I can function with this in the background. As a nurse I know so many other diseases.......NO, this one is not hurting me..well not so much physiologically, and it tones down with meds.

I have said many times. EVERYONE is given something, I see this in all patients few, very few are illness free. But I wouldn't want diabetes, MS, Lupus, Renal(kidney disease, liver disease. Some of these things kill....we just have a dragon...for me a purple plump goofy litttle guy with big teeth (sharp) who bites.

I have a leash on him. My life has changed so much, and some for the good. I would never have changed to drinking water only if I hadn't met him. Or probably done all the good things I do for me.

I did say MANY, did I say MANY times. I wish I had a rash or boil on my face.....so you could see this.!!!! That was my placement of wishing. Hard to have an invisible thing.

I got shingles once and in 2 minutes from the rash the doctor wrote 2 perscritions and one for percocet...."Nan, that is painful!" WELL...my life was more painful, but him SEEING something changed his whole curve with me, so fast to help me.

I am not complaining it is just natural...a doc needs certain things to assess to treat. The docs who know this disease know there is no such animal, and do their best.

I am blessed with a great doctor and validation in the office for my care. Less is more, I do so much non medical that she is always asking to add or change my meds. I am JUST right where I am.

Even in a flare...I work through it with the toolbox and shut down for a bit. I reassess what brought me there (if I can) and get it better.

So NO...I know so many diseases and even an ingrown toenail would be too much to swith to, or hemmorhoids, nope. Fine with what I have been handed.

GOOD THREAD. Can't wait to see the fmily response. Thanks, Nancy B

pcfulone responded:
I can surely relate to the meaning of your question. Fibro sucks and what's worse is that there are no physical signs. Having said that, fibro is not fatal like so many diseases are. So somehow I have to learn to live with this BUT I am living.

lakegirl65 responded:
Yes, and then, maybe people wouldn't think it was all in your head.

vic711 responded:
Not offended at all, and a very interesting question. Personally, it would be a no for me. Have there been moments? Absolutely! I was sick for so long, with no answers, that I had a huge fear of having something that would kill me. Both of my parents passed away from cancer, so having this "monster" have his way with me, is far better.

I did get some proof about the fatigue. A great doc discovered that I have a really slow heart rate, and had a pacemaker put in. The difference that made has been huge! But the pain is still there, although I am blessed these days to be in a state of control.

I just try to keep an open mind, stay away from docs who won't listen, and keep a good attitude. You have all the proof you need, now all you can do is life to the fullest. Do your research, and find what works for you!!

Great post!! Vicki

OlliverCat responded:
I have thought of this and I would definitely say yes. I feel like people don't understand how debilitating fibro is in every aspect of my life. People and professionals arent educated about it. Not even my own husband takes me seriously. I feel like I'm always having to defend myself. Fortunately I do have a few people who are understanding and supportive so I'm not completely alone.

angelldakota responded:
For me it has to be a no... I have an unbelievably too many things wrong with me anyway... no one thinks I am telling the truth lol... I have FM... MS... RSD... Myofacial... Degenerating bones and discs... Degenerating nerves... degenerating menincus... tears here and there... and diabetes... and 5 illnesses in my stomach... and neuropathy... and this and that... now do you believe I have an unbelievable disease... or an unbelievable amount...

I have also had cancer 7 times... so I am a 7 times survivor... and even tho I am proud of it not many believe it either...

no I don't care if I have FM and it is not well known... and that people even Drs and family want undeniable proof... and don't get it... I have the proof inside me... My son has the proof inside him... you have the proof inside you... together we will be known someday...

And take it from me you would rather have FM then my list and cancer...

take care... have a nice weekend...
When you need a friend, reach out to a stranger and you will have one. If you need help, help someone else. if you need to cry, find someone already crying and celebrate life. Love Jan

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.