Skip to content
What do you do for muscle spasms?
Schrode posted:
I had muscle spasms in my back for the first time last night. It hurt so bad I could not move and I cried. It lasted for about 5 minutes and did not happen again. I took a muscle relaxer(I usually only take one at bedtime) afterwards. But is there anything I could have done during the spasm to help? I know that my vitamin D is good and my iron stores are low. I take iron twice a day.

Deb

Marylyce responded:
Deb,
I have pretty much had a back spasm since Feb.At first I was on a heating pad most of the day. It has calmed down some but whenever someone pushes in my mid back it gets worse. I have dry needle injections. The first time it helped alot with all my other trigger points and only a few days with the spasm. I go this Thurs. to get more trigger point injections. Muscle relaxants never worked for me. I do strengthening exercises which haven't helped yet or I put ice on my back and numbs it. Hope you get some good answers that I will read also.
Mary

KatmanduLou responded:
My rheumy was able to get rid of some 'new' spasms with lidocaine injections. It released the spasms and I felt better almost instantly.
I had some spasms that were older, and for them he recommended a chiropractor. I had a spasm that was just above the right-hand back pocket on my pants - the upper glute. It was a year and a half before I did anything, and it's almost gone 0 it's been another year and a half since I started treatment. While the 'knot' is still there, I can manage daily life quite well.

I used heat too, but the doc said that the muscle healed in spasm because of the heat. I'd ice it for a day or two after seeing him. Monthly visits are keeping the bad part at bay.

If you can't see a chiro, put a couple of tennis balls in an old sock, and lie on them on the floor. They will massage the spasms and hopefully relax them.

I hope some of this works for you!
Lou

Booch007 responded:
Good evening,

I too use triger point injections and they have lidocaine in them just to help with the soreness of the shots.

When I have had the back (right under the wing bone/scapulae) muscle get spastic...it has brought me to the ER...thought it was a kidney stone. I have had it twice that bad. Other times I have used my heating pad, repeated my muscle relaxant and had my husband massage me with the capsacian cream.

It is a tough muscle as it can involve the diaphagm for breathing and catch you at each breath. Ouch. It is a toughy, I hope someone else has a tool to use.

When cramps/spasms are in the legs we walk on them, well this is an odd angle.......maybe sit on the floor and stretch forward to pull it out ? Good luck, I hope you don't have one for a long time.................Nancy B

Pixe5 responded:
Magnesium is my solution. I have never had to take muscle relaxants or pain pills. Magnesuim levels are often low in the muscles of fibros even if the blood levels are fine. I was in a lot of pain before I tried it, but now I am a lot better.

ljeanaz replied to Pixe5's response:
I've also heard that magnesium is important. I would add that potassium can be helpful.

Anon_149959 responded:
One thing I learned when I was in basic training,,,Bananas they are great for muscle spasms because of the potassium... I also give my residents for that too...Just be careful if you are taking potassium supplements to much can cause heart issues..Magnesium is also good to..

Kinkatia responded:
Something that I've found helps to ease spasms in a pinch is a warm chamomile compress. Chamomile has antispasmodic properties, so if you've got chamomile tea lying around, making a bowful of it and soaking a hand towel or bandana in it for a compress might help. I get muscle spasms in my legs sometimes when I'm trying to sleep, and the chamomile tends to ease them enough that I can stretch them out and get back to that sleeping thing.

It won't prevent or completely get rid of muscle spasms, but it can help out if you really need it. It also smells nice, which is a plus.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.