Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sudden Overwhelming Fatigue/Sleep Attacks
Anon_183260 posted:
I have had fibromyalgia for 17 years. One symptom has kept me and several doctors questioning what exactly is happening. I do not have narcolepsy but there are times I become so overwhelmingly tired that my body "shuts down" and I need to rest for awhile. I cannot find a pattern to these "sleep attacks". Sometimes they happen on days following nine or ten hours of sleep and when I have very little pain. This usually happens between 2 and 4 in the afternoon. The sudden urge to sleep just takes over. My doctor has prescribed 200 mg Provigil daily which has helped me a great deal as without it I would be unable to work. I take the Provigil in the AM and splitting the dosage or changing time of dosage has no effect on this afternoon sleepiness. Please tell me that I am not the only one with this strange symptom and I welcome all suggestions. I have tried all the obvious such as drinking a caffeinated beverage, having a healthy snack and vitamin supplements. Need advice as I am afraid that one day I will fall asleep while driving.

rmkjk responded:
I also have these spells....no warning just soooovery tired....must lay down for a hour or so......sure dont know what causes it never happened when i am driving... sure hope someone has an answer or coping stratagie we can use...May your night be pain free....

Cadensnana responded:
Hi Anon...I have fallen asleep while driving..I could hear the radio, but my eyes were shut. I woke up in the other lane with a car coming toward me. He was in control so I didn't hurt anyone. I, now, take a full Nuvigil in the AM and a half in the afternoon. If I still feel sleepy..I call my husband and he talks to me while I drive home so I can stay focused. I still doze off while working at the computer, but not for long. My husband jokes that I sleep like a cat..I can fall asleep any where at any time. This is worse for me than the pain because I can not hurt (or kill) any one from being in pain, but I can if I am sleepy.

We have many "plans" in effect if I know I am putting others in danger..including going to work later if I didn't sleep well.

I always try to remember that other people's lives are in my hands. If I know that I am too sleepy to drive I DON'T!

I am sorry that you also deal with this horrible symptom of Fibro. Remember to be "proactive not reactive" I wasn't on that dreadful day...I could have killed them... I am now!

Being aware is the first step...

hop63 replied to Cadensnana's response:
Hi to rmkjk and cadensnana. I am hop63 but came up as Anon183260 as this was the first time I have submitted anything n but read many posts on this site. I am helped by knowing in less than 24 hours 2 people have taken the time to reach out to me. I feel better knowing I am not alone in this dreaded fog that I walk around in most of the time. I had a similar incident driving a few months ago, I felt sleepy so I put music on loud and turned AC full blast. I suddenly felt as if my eyelids were held down by blocks of cement. I was somewhat aware of what was happeneing as I heard the music but the blaring of another car's horn woke me from my "fog". I felt so bad for the other driver-who was so scared that she pulled off the road. i also do not drive when I feel a "sleep attack" coming but needing to drive 30-45 minutes to and from work daily sometimes I leave feeling fine and my condition changes, There is no place to pull over for a few minutes to rest. I also fear the law enforcement might judge my driving as being erratic as if under the influence of something. I have tried increasing the provigil to 300 mg daily but my stomach cannot handle it. I get severe cramps, gas and diarreahea. My doctor tells me that it is how my body reats to the pain and fatigue-shutting down for a short period to rest. That is okay if it coincides with a time I am close to my bed. I have gained relief in knowing I am not the only one with this bizarre symptom. It is interesting that one condition has so many different effects on each person it afflicts. I will visit this site daily and hope to help others as rmkjk and Cadensnana have helped me. Rest well my new fibro-friends!

funnyfacejess responded:
I get days like that too... just completely out of the blue! I'll be going along fine and then, WHAM... I'm suddenly so exhausted I can't do anything except collapse on my bed and sleep. I've been known to have whole days where I do nothing but sleep for hours and hours, & then I go to bed at night and sleep again. I haven't been able to work, so when that happens I'm ok to wipe out for several hours. It's the weirdest sensation, that sudden heaviness, almost like being drugged. Talk about good, heavy sleep! Wish every night was that good!
Have you tried a good (not Wal Mart) B-vitamin complex? B-12 is really important for energy, and it could be your body isn't absorbing it - guess that would be something to discuss with your doctor. Taking a sub-lingual form of B-12 is a sure way of getting maximum absorption, just don't get the cheap kind from Target or Wal Mart that has a huge dosage. Also, have you tried drinking a "green smoothie" type drink? You can buy it in bottles at Wal Mart or other grocery stores, or you could always make your own of course. Such drinks have lots of good vitamins etc. that boost energy. Knowing how strong the need to sleep is at times like that, though, it's hard to say if anything can truly touch it. Since I've been taking a good B-vitamin complex, the frequency of those sleepy days has certainly decreased, so it seems to be working for me. Best wishes!

squarley replied to funnyfacejess's response:
I was going to say get your b12 tested,it give you that tired feeling ,some of it comes from FM,but when my b12 went low it hit me hard. Hope this helps . Hugs Squarley

hop63 replied to squarley's response:
Thanks to funnyfacejess and squarley!!! I get B12 injections weekly even though my bloodwork shows it to be at an acceptable level. At first taking Vitamin D was a great help but as soon as my levels were normalized the effects diminished. Many medications and supplements help initially but then stop and the overwhelming urge to sleep returns. I am so grateful to all that have replied and offered suggestions and support. I am so blessed to have found this site and the courage to post my experiences here. I will continue to check for more insights from my fellow fibromyalgia sufferers and help others if I can. Rest well and sweet dreams to all my fibro-friends,hop63

annette030 replied to hop63's response:
If you are taking Provigil or other meds, you ARE under the influence of something.

Perhaps either move closer to work or find a job nearer to home...

Please be very careful.

Take care, Annette

nonnieskids4 responded:
I am so glad that someone else is describing this, I truly thought I was the only one and it has been driving me crazy. I sleep for the most part 5 - 6 hours a night and sleep good, but I have days where for no apparent reason I am just exhausted and for me it happens a lot in the morning where all of a sudden I can no longer keep my eyes open, my head feels foggy and my body "craves" bed. If I can I will go lay down for an hour or so and for the most part it helps, but I've noticed that sometimes this will be a precursor to a flare. I check this site everyday and everyday I read something and think "well that explains it".

Sometimes I think jeesh I am so lazy! When did I get like this?
I never took naps or went back to bed and the idea of doing either was ridiculous, now here I am at 51 doing both. My father who is 79 is forever saying "what are you going to do when your my age" I tell him I don't know because I'll probably be asleep, but honestly sometimes it embarrasses me.

I am so thankful for this site and all of you who post because it reminds me that I'm not alone and I truly value all you have to say because I know that sometimes we bare all and that's hard.

LynaHuggs responded:
Thank you hop63 for helping us all realize We Are Not Crazy or Lazy! I have sleep attacks and my roommate gets angry and scared. First because it interferes with whatever we are doing and second because no matter what I don't wake up once I am asleep. Until the attack is over I am in a very deep sleep, yelling, tv real loud, telephones nothing wakes me. Does this happen to anyone else?
I can't take Nuvigil so I'm on Phentermine which has really lessened the attacks.
I am very careful when driving and I pull over & call my Mom or someone with my exact location if I have an attack. The rule is if I don't wake is 2-3 hours do a vitials check if ok wait it out if not call EMS. Has never happened and hope it doesn't. I feel more comfortable now that I have less but still worry.
I do B12, D3, magnisium plus more all of which I think helps. I just wish the medical community would start working on this.
Thank you all for sharing & stay safe.

Cadensnana replied to hop63's response:
I am sorry you experienced the same or worse than I did. Here is my emai address if you want to keep in touch: mrssvehla@gmail.com.

Be safe, Carla

pcfulone replied to rmkjk's response:
So very glad to read your post and the responses. I too have this happen. Last dr. appt. my husband was with me. We both explained how this sudden need to sleep comes on in the middle of the afternoon. He looked at me like I was crazy and then just ignored it. Not sure what that drug you were put on is but I'll look it up and maybe I can ask my dr. about it. As far as vitamin B12, I do take a supplement every day.

hop63 replied to pcfulone's response:
Hi pcfulone,
I have found Provigil 200 mg very helpful in giving me just enough energy to get through a work day. I must work full-time to support my family. Nuvigil was approved by the FDA soon after Provigil and I believe the two medications are similar in nature. They are expensive; even with insurance the copay is high. I pay $40.00 for 30 pills. It was $60.00 when the drug was first approved. The cost without a prescription plan must be very high. Both manufacturers offer coupons for a two-week trial with your doctor's prescription if you visit websites. If you experience "sleep attacks" I highly recommend asking your physician if one of these medications might be helpful for you. My prescription plan requires a letter from my doctor every 12 months for pre-approval. Hope this was helpful. Rest well at night and stay awake by day. Love to all my fibro-friends!

pcfulone replied to hop63's response:
Just got back from my dr. appt. I mentioned the provigil but she said that fibro is not one of the illnesses that my insurance would cover that drug for. Instead she has suggested and put me on ritalin. She said it will do the same thing, is very inexpensive. Tomorrow I start taking it to see if it helps me. I'm really hoping that this will help and not keep me up at night. Hope your day is going well.
Lori

annette030 replied to nonnieskids4's response:
Have you had a sleep study done? Just because you feel like you sleep well doesn't meant you are.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.