Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Am I too young?
Nean7770 posted:
I recently found this website and was wondering if anyone can answer me a question? I have been experiencing widespread pain for months... and have been thinking this whole time it's because I am overweight... now I am thinking it might be Fibromyalgia... my mom had it, and she was extremely miserable. I read it can be hereditary.
I am afraid to mention this to my doctor for fear she will think I am making it up to get meds. But it really has been affecting my life. What should I do? Am I too young? I just turned 41 last week.
Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated.
Jenean

Cadensnana responded:
Jenean ... I lost my son when I was 31. After that and a car accident I started feeling the way I do know. I am now 45. I have been taking a lot of pain meds for years, but was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 8 months ago. Go find a doctor who will help you figure out what is wrong with you. Don't suffer because you worry what people might think. Please let me know if you need anything. Carla.I was 31. After that and a car accident I started feeling the way I do know. I am now 45. I have been taking a lot of pain meds for years, but was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 8 months ago. Go find a doctor who will help you figure out what is wrong with you. Don't suffer because you worry what people might think. Please let me know if you need anything. Carla.

Dollbug responded:
Hello Jenean....and welcome.....MiMi in NC....no, I am sad to tell you that you are not too young....actually we have people on this site who are younger than you are....the wrath of the dragon could care less who you are or how old you are...and you are at a greater risk since your mom had it...

I would encourage you to find a good doctor who can treat FM....as all doctors do NOT think it is an illness....(this amazes me since there is so much information out there about it)....

I would also suggest that you get your Vitamin D level checked...which is so very important for a lot of people these days...it is a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it...low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain (I am one of those) and it can also affect other illnesses as well....I hope you will read up on this...as there a lot of info on the computer for you to read about it...

I would also encourage you to be sure and check out the info under "tips" and "resources" to the right of this page...as you will find some "good tools and tips" that perhaps you have not thought of trying....be sure and read the "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins"....

FM is a very mean and ugly illness to deal with...but a person can learn how to "control and manage it"...but it does take a trial and error process...as we are all different....what helps one may or may not help another....only you will know when you have found the right combination of things that will help you cope...

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well....I take magnesium and malate combination supplement....(vitamin store) Omegas, Vitamin D, Super B Complex and calcium....plus others...as I do have other health issues...I also drink mostly water....

I use a heating pad when needed...I take a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts to help relax my body...I also use stopain spray (walmart) when needed....do gentle stretches and exercises each day...and try to move....even when I do not feel up to it...

We FMers also must learn how to pace, pace and pace some more...this is so very important....as we deal more with how the wrath of the dragon pops its ugly head at us...we have to learn to "beat it" at its own game....we can no longer push ourselves to the limit...or we will surely pay dearly for doing so.....Stress is the dragon's best friend....so we have to figure out some way to limit our stress...and for me...this is probably the hardest thing that I have found to do....

I hope this helps you....and I hope that you will post often, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions...

This FM group is so very blesses to have not 1 but 2 doctors...Dr. P and Dr. Margaret (see the top right hand corner for more info)...they will answer questions also...just be sure and put their names in the subject line of your post...they will get back to you with the reply....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

survivedlasvegas responded:
Jenean,

I just turned 32 this week and was dignosed last month with FM. I also wondered if i was young to have this, but the simple asnwer is there is no such thing as to young to have FM.

I would talk to your doctor, especialy since your mom had it too, and its highly believed that FM is hereditary.

Take Care,
amity

mama35660 replied to survivedlasvegas's response:
My granddaughter turnrd 15 on the 4th of July and Im sure she has Fibro.She had labs drawn for the 2nd time today and her ped is very concerned because her ANA came back a high positive a couple of mos ago.I have fibro and so does my daughter and now my beautiful granddaughter seeems to be following in our footsteps.
Its so sad to see anyone suffer with this but especially young people/I just wish I could take it for her.

MissCaptainKirk responded:
Unfortunately you are not too young. I am certain I have had FM since I was a little kid, and if I had ever been taken to a doctor as a child I am sure I would have been diagnosed but I had to wait til I was an adult.

Really sorry you are going through this. But please please please do not be afraid to ask your doctor anything. You are seeing her to help you, and she cannot help you if you do not tell her what's wrong. I know it is scary to ask doctors questions especially if they are embarrassing ones, but this isn't even embarrassing. This is important.

I hope it all goes well for you, and I hope you are having a good day.

Much love <3

Anon_10089 replied to MissCaptainKirk's response:
Hello-

I have had chronic pain problems since I was a child and sleep problems just as long. I am now 29. Age has nothing to do with FM. Also, weight has nothing to do with FM itself. There are thin people who have it. Also, some in this community have lost weight and still had the same amount of pain.

That being said I do believe that at a certain point extra weight can put a strain on our joints and that might magnify the FM pain somewhat.

And exercise, done correctly, can help FM (at least in some ways--different topic). So when a doctor says you need to lose weight, you can acknowledge that the ways you lose weight, through healthy diet and exercise, are the things that can help the symptoms.

I hope you can find a doctor that listens to you!

survivedlasvegas replied to Anon_10089's response:
I completely agree, i am 5'8" and have ranged from a size 0 to 16 in the last 15yrs. I have had joint pains and sleeping issues and even sme fitigue since i was about 12, or at least thats when i can remember it starting. My parents always thought i was just a weak whiny kid, there was nothing wrong with me. I have struggled with this for well years and finally at age 32 have a name for all this pain. Do not let a dr. tell you it cant be FM because of age or weight. I had my reg family dr tell me i need to loose 50lbs which i do, but he told me thats whats causing my pains and fatiue and sleep problems. Yeah my sholder hurts b/c i'm overweight, so do my fingers. Get outta here. I insisted on seeing another dr. and after they saw me and did even more blood work, not sure i have any more left to give, they sent me to a rheumatologist. Thats where i got the right test and dignosis, and realy someone that just listend and didnt think i was making it up.

Talk to your doctor Jenean and see what happens. I went to my rheumatologist and one of the first things i told her was i want to avoid meds if i can. I'm a divorced mom of 3 young kids i have to be on top of my game :) See if your doctor listens to your concerns and starts testing or refering you on. You should have a dr. you can talk to and tell hey i have these issues can you help. Also self advocate, if you feel they aren't listening and you feel you are still having issue. Ask for another doctor, even in the same practice if you have to. Make sure you feel your concerns are truely addressed.
take care
amity

chrichie responded:
Jenean,

I am always so sad to hear of another person exeriencing what I am. Unfortunately, you are definately not too young. I am 38 and was diagnosed over 7 years ago. I had symptoms for close to 2 years before a diagnosis. I also have heard of teens who have had it. I don't know what the youngest person to get it is.

I am overweight too. It's not easy to lose weight and more difficult when some of the meds you are on make you gain weight.

As far as what you should you should do, everyone will have a different answer for you, but you are gonna have to make the decision. I'm gonna give you what I think are two important questions to answer in making that decision: 1) Is it getting better or worse without help? 2) If you don't talk to your doctor about it and try to get a disagnosis, how will it ever get better?

There are lots of tools out there to help you approach your doctor. I believe the National Fibromyalgia website has a questionaire you can print out and fill out to take to your doctor to get the conversation going in the right direction and help your doctor see that you are serious and that you have done your research. I have heard that one type of fm is hereditary and you will need to mention your moms history to your doc.

If it goes bad, you can come on here and vent about it and we'll help you figure out your next step. You are not alone. Please remember that.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Chrichie.

Kinkatia responded:
You're definitely not too young. I've had FM symptoms all my life and didn't get diagnosed until about a year and a half ago. I was 19 at the time.

Definitely talk to your doctor. Tell her that your mother had it, and you've been in pain so you're worried. Pain is never normal, If your doctor won't take you seriously, find a new doctor. That's really all there is to it. Heck, ask to be referred to a rheumatologist if you need to.

Gentle hugs! Good luck talking to your doctor and finding out if it's FM or not.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
367 of 394 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.