Skip to content
Is this normal for FM patients?
calicaro5 posted:
My muscles are extremly weak, so weak my legs feel like jello. I can walk but I feel like I'm carring a ton of bricks on my anckles. Is this common?

calicaro5 responded:
I guess not....

maggiethedoglover responded:
Just saw your post but I think you got it right in your 2nd one. It has not affected me that way. Could it be the weather? It's 90 with high humidity here in Wisconsin and it makes you feel like a wet noodle. Or maybe you have a touch of the flu.

Whatever is wrong, please go to your doctor for a diagnosis. Hope it get's better fast. You will be in my thoughts.

Soft hugs,

maggie
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

squarley replied to calicaro5's response:
Sorry no one responded,but yes it can I feel weak in my legs and some times feel i am carrying a ton of bricks. I have read many others say the same thing. It feels like you may fall . I do not know all the reasons behind it but, it does happen ,I get tingling and numbness some times,do not no if you looked up symptoms of FM but there is a long list,I can not believe all the things that it can cause,we all have different things going on but I can tell you that you have them. Do talk to your Doctor when new one come up ,I have about 12 different ones. And it can drive you crazy not knowing is it FM or not. Hope this helps,please ask any questions you have I am here every day, it helps to know your not alone, many hugs, Squarley

angelldakota replied to calicaro5's response:
lets try this again... sorry I accidentally sent it early or made it disappear... lol... I am good at both of them...

I was saying...

I can't exactly say for myself for I also have MS on top of FM... but I have several friends and they have the same trouble... it is hard on them... and i can understand for whatever the reason i go thru this all the time...

you aren't alone i can gaurantee you this... but around here you never are... sorry it took so long to answer...

take care,....
When you need a friend, reach out to a stranger and you will have one. If you need help, help someone else. if you need to cry, find someone already crying and celebrate life. Love Jan

dslinsc responded:
I think I have the same problem..most days, it feels like my legs have run a marathon and give out just climbing the stairs in my house.

I usually have to sit down when I do a lot of things. I can feel the ache in my legs, and all the stretching exercises are not doing squat for it. (But I also have scoliosis and have very tight hamstrings-and tight muscles everywhere else.)

mrahoe replied to angelldakota's response:
dont worry jan mine didnt go thru either. . .

calicaro5

i have those exact feelings in my legs. . thats why i have takin to using a wheelchair because i could not stop the falling. . i have a bum shoulder to so between that and the weight i have gained i could not get back up without help. . i layed on the floor a few times waiting for my dw to get home to help me get back up. .

hope this make you feel that your not so alone. . .

john
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.--Dr. Suess

calicaro5 replied to mrahoe's response:
I sometimes have to use a cane, being able to put my wieght on it helps releive my muscles when walking. I've also had to use those go cart things they have at the super markets.....

I have spoke to several different Dr's now about all of my symptoms, my new primary Dr. seems to think we're on the right path.

Thank you all, I feel much better knowing this isn't in my head.

Anon_10089 replied to calicaro5's response:
From hearing many experiences here, I believe that some people with FM experience this, and some do not.

I do not really have muscle weakness--pain, yes, but not the weakness.

Dr. Pellegrino has addressed this before and also suggested supplements that can help. Maybe do a search through his postings and feel free to ask him directly in a new post.

FibroMitz replied to calicaro5's response:
Caicaro & mrahoe: I have gained the weight also! I am so disgusted in myself. When I was pregnant last year the symptoms of FM seemed to hide and I was losing weight when I was supposed to be gaining weight. I was 230 when I got pregnant and after I was 237. I was back into my jeans. I was feeling pretty good. I could (at the time) fit into my size 22 jeans! I looked and felt good!

But a couple of months after having my baby the FM sysmptoms seemed to be sneaking up on me so I quit breastfeeding and got back on all the FM meds. Seems like when I started back on the meds is when I gained like 50lbs!!
I was struggling to get into my size 22 jeans-TIGHT, TIGHT,TIGHT! I think by December I had gained 35lbs!

I have been using a cane on the bad days (which is most of the time). I figured out that Hot doesn't help with the symptoms. It's a bloody 103 here in Idaho and I am so achy! I think we MIGHT get a thunderstorm. I hurt sooo much!

I think if the pain in my shoulder joints get bad like last night, I'm going to the ER! I also noticed that my LEFT ANKLE was throbbing with pain. That was a first. Is this also part of Fibro Pain? Need some answers.

I go and see my pain mngmt doc tomorrow @ 2:00pm! I'll ask him about the throbbing shoulder joints and ankle pain.

cndlu70 replied to FibroMitz's response:
m having the same problem. i ve gained weight since my dr raised my gagbapentin dose.

are you on any meds?

i thought maybe it might be my meds.
since my diet hasn't changed..

Ginak466 responded:
For me, I eperience such weakness on the first day of a flare-up of my fibro. I also experienced such leg weakness when I had pneumonia one year--the legs that feel like jello. Don't know why that is, but as I improve and feel better, the weakness goes away.

fibrofatiguethyroid responded:
Calicaro5, Annie here,

I have had these feelings with leg weakness and the ton of bricks on each calf everytime I took a step.
Initially, I thought it was the big "F" and it may be responsible for some of it.
I can tell you a couple of things that improved my weakness and heaviness.
Statin drugs caused my legs to feel like 1000 lb weights on my calves. In addition, my pain level skyrocketed.
When I ceased taking statins, the heaviness went away almost immediately.
IF you are on statins, please do not quit taking the drug without talking with your Doc. There are many drugs to lower cholesterol.
The jello feeling in my legs was addressed with low calcium levels.
There are many vitamins that we may be low in that can cause weakness. Also, low iron can cause weakness.
Another thing that helped the weakness in my legs was walking everyday.
I was able to do this regardless of how I felt.
Celebrex helped me with the pain in my feet that was keeping my bum on the couch.
By Gosh, I walked even if I didn't do anything else that day.
The walking helped strengthen my legs.
I will mention one other thing that caused overall weakness in my legs, arms, etc, A bad thyroid.
Don't forget the good old vitamin D.

Hope this helps.
Annie(fibrofatiguethyroid)

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
374 of 401 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.