Skip to content
Getting family members to understand
Sillly1 posted:
Does anyone have any pointers in how to get your family members to understand fibro and what one is going through? Also how to help ones family when ones fibro flares up and one doesn't feel like doing anything. I am open for all pointers. Thanks and a soft hug to all.

hutinallover responded:
Silly1..I finally requested my husband got to the doctor with
he wasn't understanding how i could feel ok then can barely walk I had no other choice, he was much more compasonate after chat with doctor Web MD has a link if you could get family to view it " About Fibro" or something to that tittle I wish you luck cause i still have family members that simply do not understand

NeNe_11 replied to hutinallover's response:
That only helps if you have a doctor who actually "gets it".

Cadensnana responded:
Hi I use the posts on here to show my husband how everything I go through affects me...especially emotionally. He has said it is obvious I am sick because I have changed so much. My son is in the Air Force and after I visited him in June he truly understood what FM has done to his Mom. They have to put your feelings first and help whenever you need. They really need to OPEN THEIR EYES. Are you the same person? Good luck and God Bless!

Cadensnana replied to NeNe_11's response:
Find a doc that does!

survivedlasvegas responded:
I am having the same problem with my family and friends. I just recently asked a similar question on here and I got a great answer from someone, mrahoe / John, with links that I think might help. I've used the spoon example with my son, and i could almost literally see the light bulb go on over his head when he caught on. It's not a perfect example there is more to it than this, but it's a good generalization and place to start i think.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

http://www.fmscommunity.org/lettertonormals.htm

I sure hope these help you too.
Amity

maggiethedoglover replied to survivedlasvegas's response:
Thanks Amity and John too!

I read both of these and like them both. The one with the spoon seems to be a little easier on the person you may be trying to explain your life to and that would likely increase their ability and willingness to accept it.

Hugs to both of you and all of my FMily,

maggie
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

clkwc1964 replied to NeNe_11's response:
true that!

pcfulone replied to Cadensnana's response:
God Bless your son in the Air Force. My family thanks him for his service. My son is also in the AF stationed in Germany. I'll see him in August and he'll see a much different me. I am so much worse than when he last saw me. I try not to show it, grin and bear it but I'm so much slower now. Also, his fiance is living with us so she sees how one day can be better than the next and then the days I can't move at all. My husband has been understanding and I email him interesting articles that I find. If I say, "it's a down day", he doesn't have a problem with it.

pcfulone responded:
My husband and I are empty nesters so he is the only one I have to worry about. If I tell him that I can't cook that day, he has no problem fixing dinner or ordering out. Temporily my future daughter-in-law is with us so that has helped my husband as well on my bad days when I can't vacuum or cook. She's been a great help and I'll miss her when she leaves in 2 weeks. I email my husband articles to read when I find one about a complaint I've vocalized. This helps him see that my complaint was legit. Maybe I don't even need to do that because he's never doubted me but it makes me feel better to show him that what I moan and grumble about is actually commom among those with our condition.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.