Skip to content
is anyone on disability?
krystlelea posted:
Hi Fmily!!! I was just curious to ask if a lot of you were on disability? and was it hard for you to get on it? I am 23 years old have a 2 year old and I work full time and I just cant do it anymore I feel like I am pushing my self way to hard and I shouldnt be this miserable? I see my dr at the end of the month and I think I am going to ask him about it. Has anyone of you gone from working full time to disability? How do they rate how much you get monthly? I feel lilke its my only option at this point I cant keep living this way. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Maurny responded:
Hi
When I read your post my problems seem not as profound.
It must be so hard for you not only trying to support yourself whilst living with fibro but also having a young one to care for also.
I'm much older but also been struggling to hang on to my job. I'm fortunate that I work in a health setting so my employers are more considerate than most.
I also have been trying hard to retain my position because it has been my lifeline and given me a purpose at times to keep going. But I haven't worked my normal hours now for 15mths and not worked for 3 months. That doesn't pay the bills does it?
In Australia you only can get adequate benefits if not working so I will have to decide soon what to do myself.
So good luck for your future and hope you can get good advice about income support and be successful if you apply.
Kind Regards

Anon_408 responded:
You don't say whether your company or state has a short term disability program. Or are you talking permanent disability?

Generally, it is VERY difficult to get approved for social security disability, or SSI. As far as your monthly $$$ you could expect to draw, it depends on how long you have been working, and the amount of money you have earned. Plus you have to have worked so many quarters,

being only 23, more than likely, my guess would be social security would suggest or say you are retrainable to do something more fitting to your capabilities.

It could take upwards of 1-3 years or so to get approved for the long term end of it If ever! Rarely does a person get it on the 1st try.

Maybe somone else will give you a better outlook, but it is difficult to get permanent disability.

DonnaL58 responded:
Check out the Resources section of this page on the left hand side. There is some info on disability. Having worked in benefits and helping my ex sign up for SSI/SSD it is very difficult especially since FM is one of those mystery conditions. You can log onto SSA.gov and get the forms off the internet and find out how many points you have and what your entitled to if you do become disabled. The important thing is to complete your forms entirely and have ALL your supporting documents with your application. I am 53 and was diagnosed about 3 years ago. I am currently unemployed and I do think about when I do go back to work how I will be able to do it and deal with the pain. You are so very young and have a child to raise my heart goes out to you. Talk to your family and friends, educate them on what you are going thru, let them know how much you need their support both mentally and physically. Try and stay positive (as hard as it can be) and keep the faith. Let us know what you find out w/social security.

dollbug responded:
Hello krystlelea and welcome.....MiMi in NC....I wanted to chime in on your question....you do not say where you live...and since we have people from all over....I am assuming that you are from the USA...with that being said....I would like to tell you that as you probably already know....our system is struggling in more ways than one....our system is very broken...and I am sure that it is even harder than before to get anything these days...

Your state though should have some sort of benefits that you might be entitled to...I got sick at the end of 2003...and worked until 2005...I worked for a company for over 14 years...and was laid off when I filed my 2nd workers' comp claim...I eventually was forced to file for SSD...while still fighting the WC...and it took me years to get approved...I guess everyone was waiting to see what the other was doing..and no one done anything...

Anyway...if I were you...I would check and see if your state has any kind of benefits that you might be entitled to...I know that there is SSI...for those who have no income...but this too takes time...I have tried to help a neighbor who does not work..and we have still not been able to get anything...so it is a real hassle and struggle for this person..

Since you are only 23...I doubt that you would qualify for SSD...as I think you have to have 10 quarters of payments into it...(I think)...

You should indeed talk to your doctor about this...as I am sure the doctor will advise you on this according to your health issues...

I was 53 when I started...I will tell you this much..that a person does not draw a lot being on SSD...and I worked from the time I was 16 years old...

I know that I have not really given you a lot of hope...but please check with your state to see what benefits you qualify for....and yes, check with the local SSD ...they can advise you on what you might be qualified for...

I think a person can actually draw SSD from a parents benefits...but I think the age is only up to 21...

Take care and I hope that you will be able to get something worked out....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Anon_2912 responded:
My mind is not at that "moment" yet, my body might be, but for now, I just keep pushing myself. I really don't have a choice, bills have to be paid & my child needs a roof over his head, food, & clothes & medical insurance.

I would love to, but just not in the cards right now.

I think with the economy the way it is and going, getting disability will get even harder...

krystlelea responded:
Thank you all for the wonderful advice and insight. I have a dr app at the end of the month and will ask what my options are. Thanks again!! I love being able to come on her and just say or ask whatever I am feeling at that moment and have so many people understand and actually care about how I am feeling. <3

chrichie responded:
krystlelea,
I used to work and am seeking disability. I didn't read the other posts so I hope I am not duplicating anything. If you want to qualify for disability you will not be able make more that $1000 a month gross. The fastest I have ever heard of anyone making it was 8 months. She is also the only person I know who didn't get turned down the first time. I don't want to discourage you, but you should know you will have to get other kinds of assistance to help you make it thru till the disability comes through for you - especially if you are a single mom.

I wish I could get that kind of help, but because of my husband's income we can't. It would take a great deal of the stress of waiting off of me.

The one thing I will stress to you is that I researched it for many, many hours and getting approved for disability for fibro is very hard. I have one of the few SSDI lawyers who can help you from before you apply. If you need their number I will be happy to get it to you somehow. I am not sure if it is ok for me to just post it here. They do all the paperwork and get all your records and all communication goes through them. You don't have to pay till your disability comes through and the government regulates what they can charge you. In my opinion, it was well worth the price. You would have to figure out if it would be worth it for you too. My sister-in-law and I started the process on the same day and I had my first denial before she even got her application accepted.

Good luck to you and gentle hugs.
Chrichie

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.