Sleep and fibro
darkkan; posted:
AFter being diagnosed with fibromyalgia at age 30 and worrying about it getting worse and worse, I finally found my own rememdy that has worked better than anything else. As long as I get 8 hrs of sleep on a regular basis, the symptoms dissapear. This includes the numbness, tingling, pain, aching---everything. I am still tired sometimes and have low back pain due to disc issues, but I am not in constant pain and not unable to function. I sometimes have to take Xanex or an Advil PM to get to sleep, and don't discount a nice glass of wine before bed. I would recommend that you try this instead of depression meds, if you are having issues with them. It was a lifesaver for me.

Anon_2912 responded:
I can't remember the last time I got 8hrs of sleep..I suffer from insomnia due to graves/hyperthyroidism. Trust me we have done just about everything to help it, BUT, my mind won't stop churning....

I do take ambien 20mg about once a month. It won't work if I take it more than that...

Yes, I have been to sleep doctors. The doctor's theory is "my brain wires were screwed up when my I hit two thyroid storms." ...Graves went untreated at the time due to being mis diagnosed..with depression instead...I can sleep for about 2-3 hrs at a time, but that is about it. I can't nap & can run on 24-36hrs of no sleep before getting the 2-3 hrs.

The strange thing is I don't get fatigued & work 40hrs a week without any problems....I wish I could shut my brain down, but just not happening...

Kinkatia responded:
Getting enough sleep definitely reduces my symptoms. Doesn't make them go away, but it helps.

Or rather, not getting enough sleep makes everything worse, I suppose. When you've got insomnia, it's a bit harder to get enough sleep, but it's certainly worth the effort.

angelswife responded:
I have noticed my symptoms easing since my husband became unemployed. We no longer need the 5:30 am alarm, so I sleep until I wake up on my own instead of being blasted out of bed at that ungodly hour. It's not easy having him unemployed, but I sure don't miss that alarm!