Skip to content
Sleep and fibro
darkkan; posted:
AFter being diagnosed with fibromyalgia at age 30 and worrying about it getting worse and worse, I finally found my own rememdy that has worked better than anything else. As long as I get 8 hrs of sleep on a regular basis, the symptoms dissapear. This includes the numbness, tingling, pain, aching---everything. I am still tired sometimes and have low back pain due to disc issues, but I am not in constant pain and not unable to function. I sometimes have to take Xanex or an Advil PM to get to sleep, and don't discount a nice glass of wine before bed. I would recommend that you try this instead of depression meds, if you are having issues with them. It was a lifesaver for me.

Anon_2912 responded:
I can't remember the last time I got 8hrs of sleep..I suffer from insomnia due to graves/hyperthyroidism. Trust me we have done just about everything to help it, BUT, my mind won't stop churning....

I do take ambien 20mg about once a month. It won't work if I take it more than that...

Yes, I have been to sleep doctors. The doctor's theory is "my brain wires were screwed up when my I hit two thyroid storms." ...Graves went untreated at the time due to being mis diagnosed..with depression instead...I can sleep for about 2-3 hrs at a time, but that is about it. I can't nap & can run on 24-36hrs of no sleep before getting the 2-3 hrs.

The strange thing is I don't get fatigued & work 40hrs a week without any problems....I wish I could shut my brain down, but just not happening...

Kinkatia responded:
Getting enough sleep definitely reduces my symptoms. Doesn't make them go away, but it helps.

Or rather, not getting enough sleep makes everything worse, I suppose. When you've got insomnia, it's a bit harder to get enough sleep, but it's certainly worth the effort.

angelswife responded:
I have noticed my symptoms easing since my husband became unemployed. We no longer need the 5:30 am alarm, so I sleep until I wake up on my own instead of being blasted out of bed at that ungodly hour. It's not easy having him unemployed, but I sure don't miss that alarm!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.