Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
advice for dr. appt.
1wareaglefan posted:
Hello, All.....I've got a doctor appointment tomorrow to discuss medicine changes. I feel like my prozac is not doing the job very well anymore, so I'm going to ask about switching to celexa.

I also need to get on something for sleep and relaxing muscles. I've tried several muscle relaxers, but they leave me so groggy and tired the next day. I've taken flexeril and norflex.

I was thinking of asking to try either soma (a muscle relaxer) or valium. Anybody have any input on these 2?

Thanks for any advice. Elizabeth

Schrode responded:
Hello Elizabeth! I take 5mg of valium at bedtime and it helps me to relax enough to fall asleep. I do not wake up groggy but I am always tired no matter what I take. I could not take flexeril because it gave me headaches. I hope your doctor can find you something to help.

Deb

angelswife responded:
Hi Elizabeth,
I will sometimes use MidNite PM. It's an OTC sleep aid that has melatonin in it. I usually fall asleep within ten minutes of taking it, and I don't feel groggy the next day.

I have Clonazepam, but rarely use it, as the addiction risk is high. I will only take one if I have three or four nights in a row of not sleeping at all; and then I will only take it for one night. Hope this helps... :-)

Schrode responded:
Hello! My son uses 2mg of Melatonin from GNC to help him sleep. It works great for him. It did not work for me.

Deb

rmkjk replied to Schrode's response:
Hi I have a question for you Deb....How old is your son and why does he not sleep...My grandson lives with us and he is 13...regularly gets his days and nights mixed up...All it takes is one very active day and he is up all night and the cycle begins we give him otc tylenol pm as he has leg pains or melatonin.....some times it helps other times it does no good....he has aspergers and is very computer literate....also musicallly inclined likes a variety of music classical seems to relax him and helps with the sleep Any info or insight would be appreciated rosek

Schrode replied to rmkjk's response:
Hi RoseK. My son is 12 years old. He is a gifted child(not just my opinion- the school tested him)and he has ADHD. He has had trouble falling asleep since he was small. He just does not know how to turn off his thoughts and go to sleep. He lays there and comes up with all sorts of ideas and questions. We give him 2mg of melatonin and he can fall asleep about an hour or two later. We like the one from GNC it is cherry flavored and melts on your tongue. I wish you luck with your grandson it sounds like he has an overactive brain at bedtime too.

Deb

xperky responded:
Elizabeth, soma (carisoprodol is generic. mg's are different.) works great for me at bedtime. It relaxes any tight, achey muscles from overdoing it. It is addictive, so I wouldn't take it every night. Also, 1/2 tab of 350mg carisoprodol is plenty for me most times. It also causes drowsiness, so it's good for falling asleep. I've heard it might have less of a hangover effect than some other muscle relaxers, but I wouldn't know from experience.

Valium is also addictive and somewhat of a muscle relaxer. It will help you fall asleep too. If you suffer from anxiety, the valium will really help there. It did have a hangover effect the next morning for me. Years ago, I was rx'd to take it 2-3 times a day and became dependent on it. I tapered off it slowly, but that was rough. Lately, I've found Ativan (lorazepam) a help in falling asleep. It has a shorter half life than Valium, so less hangover effect. 1/2 mg works for me.

I hope you get some help with your medicine adjustments. It's always a tricky thing.

Good luck,
Margaret
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

1wareaglefan replied to xperky's response:
THank you all so much for your advice and replies! We'll see how it goes. I hate feeling like I have to figure this all out, ya know?

Elizabeth

jroseland replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
I've used a combination of melatonin (9mgs), GABA, and valerian root to fall asleep, on top of my normal benedryl. I think the only thing that makes me groggy in the morning is the valerian root, so I don't take that every night.

I hope you find something that helps.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.