Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dr. P : Desk work?
Pixe5 posted:
Hi Dr. P,

I wonder if you could give me some hints on how to work at my computer and not end up with a lot of back pain?

Thanks!

Pixie

Take the Poll

What activities make you feel the worst?
  • Working on your computer or other desk work
  • Lifting things
  • Cleaning
  • Shopping
  • None of the above (please specify)
vote
View Poll Results

namian responded:
Stretches and frequent breaks. Those are VERY necessary for me!

Booch007 replied to namian's response:
Actually 3 things are triggers for me.

Shopping is a big one as I can get into a *run out of gas mode and can't get home. I rarely do malls because of that. I shop for food once a week and that is the days work.

Cleaning is a AT PEAK moment thing and I stretch and move to go with the needs as I do it, BUT I have a cleaning helper too.

Lifting thing is a mechanical thing. ARMS need to stay home and close to your body. I cannot be above my head and I am careful of the over 10lbs rule...my grand daughter now is beginning to break my own rule....and I pay.

Good thread for the fmily, Thanks. Nancy B

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Pixie,

While you're waiting to hear from Dr. Pellegrino and more from others here, click on the following link for some basic tips from Dr. P:

Fibronomics Part 1
Fibronomics Part 2
Fibronomics Part 3
Fibronomics Part 4
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Pixe5 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Caprice!

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Pixie,

Your question brought up one of my favorite fibro techniques: practicing good fibronomics. Thanks to Caprice for providing links to them!

My 4 rules of fibronomics are:
1. Arms stay home
2. Unload the back
3. Be naturally shifty
4. Support always welcome

Let me know if you've had a chance to review the rules and come up with some helpful ideas for handling computer desk work.

Dr. P

glad2bhere65 responded:
I use my heating pad when I'm at my desk for long periods of time, but I work from home.

Dollbug responded:
Hello Pixie....MiMi in NC....I think that all of the choices above would have also been a good choice....as I do think that they all can cause problems for me....I can no longer shop like I use to....clean as I use to....and I can no longer lift hardly anything....I do work and play on the computer...but it also can cause me major problems...

I have found that whatever I do....I have to pace, pace and pace....as almost anything for any length of time....will cause issues for me....I think this is what I HATE about the wrath of the dragon.....affecting so much of what we were use to doing...

Being in bed for any length of time use to cause me major issues....and this is why I now sleep in a recliner....I had to pick and choose....(not by choice though)

I did not participate in the poll....as I could not check but one thing....and since all of the above was NOT a choice....I do not want to provide false poll results for this...

I think it was a very good poll though...

We, FMers, must keep on keeping on...and trying to figure out new ways to do the things that we need to do...
whether we like it or not...

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

rmkjk responded:
lLets see where to start....at any given time I can go from feeling welll to feeling a lot of pain and muscle twitches. . . also getting up from a chair will cause charlie horses in both legs thank goodness they never fully develope because movement brings it down to a dull ache...shopping some days I can walk the super walmart other days use a rider cart.at times while I am shopping i need for someone to get the rider cause i cant walk anymore.......i do not lift anything over 10 pounds....more weight will devistate muscles....cleaning cant and do not run sweeper as this causes very sore chest breastbone will snap and sides will go into spasms...can do some computer writing but when what i type looks like babble i quit arms get sore and legs get stiff..so all in all i do what i can when i can if i can and hubby does the rest.....have a great afternoon (((((hug)))))

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.