Skip to content
Does anyone have flares consisting primarily of extreme fatigue?
kskater11 posted:
My fibro has always been more extreme fatigue than pain and my flares are debilitating fatigue - in bed for days, body feeling like a lead balloon that won't move. I do get some pain and stiffness, but the worst symptom is the fatigue and general malaise/weakness if you will. Plus the fog - all i want to do is sleep for days. Anyone else going through this and have advice???? I am at risk of losing my job for missing work - these are happening every couple of weeks - help please!!! Thanks!!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

FibroMitz responded:
I TOTALLY know where you are coming from! On my lunch hour I sleep. I, too, am at risk of losing my job. They say they "understand" but can find someone to replace you-Like that!

I am so sorry for what is going on with you...How old are you and what do you do for a living-other than live with Fibro?

1wareaglefan responded:
Yes, the fatigue really gets me, too. Sometimes a day of extreme fatigue will come before a pain flare-up. It's hard to figure out. I'm afraid I don't have any answers about how to help, though.

Maybe go back through the discussions. Dr. P. started one about fibro fatigue, that got many responses. You might get some ideas there.

Best of luck to you! ELizabeth

fontanille responded:
Hi kskater, I am suffering with fatigue and headaches for the past week, so I know how you feel. It's hard to type and concentrate on anything.

I hope we all start haveing a better day and weeks ahead

Donna

An_234002 responded:
have the same thing! i heard of fibronol and its suppose to help with fatique and other things. i haven't tried it but would like to no if anyone has. they are a sponsor for national fibromyalgia association. just wondering if anyone has heard about it? hang in there and thank you!

kvg333 responded:
kskater11,
I so know exactly what you are going thru.The fatigue is now my biggest and worst symptom of the fibro. A few weeks ago i slept for 3 days straight with only wakening to use the bathroom. i had absolutely no energy to do anything, I really thought I was dying.
I find I am having to really force myself to get up out of bed, and its extremely hard to. I just slept for 27 straight hours yesterday as well.
This kind of fatigue takes its toll on me mentally. I feel so useless/worthless, and then the guilt and shame when I think of my husband and my kids and grandkids. Im missing out on life, and its out right depressing which doesnt help with the sleep issues.
I wish I had an answer for us but unfortunately I dont. I need to get back into the doctor, which is hard because Im asleep when the rest of the world is awake.
If you learn anything would you be so kind as to share it with me and I will do the same in return.
Heres hoping for better days ahead!
Kathy

kskater11 replied to FibroMitz's response:
Thanks so much for your post. I'm about to turn 30 and I have a rather high stress desk job. Yoga seems to be the best option for me. I'm on cymbalta and was up to 90mg but it made me suicidal and I ended up in the hospital. So now I'm taking 40mg and still having a tough time with it. And it doesn't reall help with fatigue. Trying to eat better too - less sugar and caffeine. But I just can't predict good days and bad days and they are often back to back. I tried lyrica but gained 30lbs in six weeks which I still haven't gotten off and made me sleepy. What tools do you use?

kskater11 replied to An_234002's response:
I haven't heard of fibronol but I definitely will check it out. My rheumatologist said there is nothing that helps fatigue. My holistic chiropractor gave me something called fibroplex from metagenics but it was mostly just b vitamins and I didn't notice a difference.

kskater11 replied to kvg333's response:
I have been there! Sleeping for days on end, the guilt, the depression of missing out on family functions and life. Cymbalta is really helping me with pain but I can't go above 40mg or it makes me suicidal - I spent five days in a psych ward because of it and I have never been suicidal in my life and am not at all since I cut back so watch out for that. Lyrica made me listless and fatigued and I gained a ton of weight. What Meds are you on? The only thing helping me right now is the cymbalta and lamictal be ause my depression from the fibro is not responding to ssri or snri Meds. Also gentle yoga. So hard to force myself to go but helps me get more restful sleep and awake a little less groggy. Mostly I just fight with sheer willpower to get up every morning even crying in pain and fatigue because I fear losing my job and home.

mymyrt replied to kskater11's response:
kskater11, please get off the Cymbalta. It is a dangerous drug, in so many areas. It is touted as the be-all end-all for so many things now. It made me homicidal, and effected me in other areas. I was on it for six weeks and was scaring everyone in my home including myself. I stopped it without weaning. It took almost a year to get over the side effects. The drug companies promise miracles. They don't happen.

I urge you to try to find something else for your pain. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this at your young age.

Wishing you the best.

Joan
Knowledge is power.

Schrode replied to mymyrt's response:
I take 60mg of Cymbalta. It has helped my pain and I have had no side effects. I understand it can cause horrible side effects but not for everyone. We must remember there is no one size fits all with fibro medicine. I take Ritalin 5mg at noon and 3pm. I feel like it has given me half my life back! I am now able to have dinner with my family and stay awake until 8pm.

Soft hugs,
Debbie

Laurac104 replied to Schrode's response:
I agree, medicine is different for everyone. I am on 120mg of cymbalta and have no side effects. If it wasn't for this medicine, I would still be screaming when I get out of bed in the morning. I tried both Lyrica and Savella and had horrid side effects, yet they work great for others. It is all trial and error.
As far as the exhaustion, I have found some things that do help. My biggest help is my concerta. I have read a lot lately that ADD meds work great for fibro fog and help with energy. So I went to my primary who refferred me to a psychiatrist. She prescribed me concerta and I have to tell you, it works pretty well! I don't take them everyday, I give my body a break from them if I am going to have a slow day. My tramadol works great for my pain, but also gives me a little energy burst. I have also started taking green tea supplements. Yes, they have caffeine, but the benefits of green tea are supposed to be really good anyway so why not! No, I don't think there is a way to completely feel well again. I have accepted that I will never have as much energy as I used to, those days are gone. But, that person is not! I am still the same person, I just have to adjust to a new level of "normal". Having a positive attitude, however hard that is, can also help you feel better. Be thankful for what you have in your life, remind yourself of the good things.
Soft Hugs

tayesp responded:
I know where you are coming from there. Some days it takes all I've got just to get out of bed. And then I still can't make it in to work. I too am at risk of losing my job but I don't know what else to do.

TomJust replied to Schrode's response:
HI Debbie, I'm Tom. I'm on the same regimen but 90 mg of Cymbalta and 25 mg of Ritalin RA. No negative side effects from Cymbalta for me and one huge bonus-its constipation side effect has helped immeasurably with the IBS I have suffered from for years. I've gone from 2 or 3 IBS flares a week to 5 in the last year! It was disabling for me, for I was afraid to be away from necessary facilities.

I don't get a lot of energy from Ritalin but my focus is better. I also have a 10 mg prescription which I take in late afternoon if a have an evening must do. Otherwise, my bedtime is usually 8:00 PM too! Oh boy!

TomJust replied to Laurac104's response:
Thank you for your positive attitude! So great to hear of someone with your level of acceptance who keeps on plugging away.
I've had the same recommendation about green tea supplements. Nice to hear from someone who has tried it. I have changed my diet dramatically but I still love my morning coffee and wonder if it will be too much caffeine for me...something to investigate.

Tramadol and Klonopin, both prescribed by a psychiatrist to alleviate pain and to relax me for sleep made me a suicidal, depressed mess. I have never experienced such profound sadness! It wasn't until I researched these drugs online and read about the side side effects that I put it together that drugs prescribed to help me were making me worse. Sad part is that I didn't attend medical school and found that info in minutes. The prescribing doctor, informed of my medical and psychological and family history shouldn't have prescribed them to me. I think they were just his "go to" drugs.

Ritalin has helped me with Fibro Fog but I'm going to research Concerta.

Keep up the good work...Tom

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 213 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.