Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Handicap Sticker/Sign
FibroMitz posted:
Good Morning All!
I was wondering, how many of you out there have a "Handicap" sticker (the ones you hang from your mirror) in your vehicles?
There are days I wish I had one. I'm not sure how to go about getting one. Who do I ask or how "handicap" do you need to be to have one?

Let's do a Poll!

Take the Poll

How many of you with "Fibro" have a Handicap Stickers?
  • I have a sticker in my vehicle
  • I have a sticker BUT only use it when I NEED it.
  • Wish I had a STICKER but DON'T
  • Looking into obtaining a Handicap sticker
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

maggiethedoglover responded:
You didn't include a category for "don't have one, don't need one yet"/ That's me. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

maggie
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

Anon_2912 responded:
I just have Fibro so don't think I need it...

Surely your not needing one because of Fibro are you?

Anon_10089 replied to Anon_2912's response:
There are some people on this site that require wheel chairs and/or walkers because of their FM.

We're all different. I have a lot of pain, but I do not experience muscle weakness like others. I try to park as far away as possible to get a bit of exericise but I'm sure if I had bad muscle weakness, I would park closer and consider a handicap placard.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Anon_2912's response:
Please be careful about judging what others feel and need based only on your own experience, Anon_2912. There are many conditions, syndromes and diseases that impact different people in different ways.

I'm glad you don't feel the need for such a placard but that doesn't mean others may not.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

mommabair123456 responded:
Yes....I have often thought that it would be very helpful to have a handicap sticker to use on the really bad days. I don't have one, but I know that you just need to ask your doctor and they can give you something to take to the DMV.

I have extreme muscle weakness and someday's it is so difficult to walk, especially long distances....I sometimes ask my children for help when we are walking....or I have started going to smaller grocery stores instead of the big ones, because I just can't do it...I get weak in my legs and have to hold on to the buggy or sit down often.

I think that if you need a sticker....then you should get one, because you are the one that has to live in your body and as I always say "you are the one that has to come home with this FM every night"... Hope that you have a brighter day! Hugs!

xperky responded:
I have thought of asking my doctor for a handicap sign, but I figure he'd laugh and say I need the exercise! He doesn't see me at my worst.

The thing is, some days I've walked all I can walk, and still need to run another errand. It would give me great relief to be able to finish a hard day with fewer painful, hobbling steps. Besides, sometimes I think I might get run over in the parking lot due to my slow walking speed! LOL. Anyone else feel like this? I have to make sure I pay attention to who is backing up and walk way on the other side of the lane from them.

It is so true, we are each unique in our FM symptoms.

I also think that some of us are on our way to additional diagnoses, such as RA, Lupus, Lyme or MS but are not testing positive for them at present. So, it's hard to really know how another person is feeling.

We have to trust that in their honest opinion they have these pains and symptoms. Afterall, who would want to make this crap up?!

Sincerely,
Margaret
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

Foomomchu replied to xperky's response:
I worked at a huge factory. To walk from the parking lot to my department in the plant took about 5 min. Some days the walk was next to impossible. I talked to my doctor about it and he filled out the paperwork right there. On days that I feel bad I use it. Talk to your doctor it is great to have the option for those less than wonderful days.

FibroMitz replied to Foomomchu's response:
There are days I really wish I had a sticker! I have to get a cart and use that if I don't take my cane!

Last night I was mad! Mad that I have this awful disease that limits me from participating in activities that I once SOOOO LOVED!

It's really hard to care for my 10 month old Especially where he's crawling and starting to walk!

I ask my eight year old for help. And that in itself is sad also cuz he should be concerned being an 8 yr old not having to help care for his lil brother....that's what get my goat!

I just want to be "normal" again! I want my old life back!! This is my life sentence.......yeah...... (

Kinkatia responded:
My mom has handicap tags, and I'm going to see about getting a placard to hang on the mirror when I test for my license next summer. I've discovered that although I'm usually pretty okay, driving makes me go stiff all over and it's really hard to walk afterwards. It'd also be nice to have on bad days, so I'd only use it when I need it.

As far as I know, to get one requires getting a doctor to fill out a form saying you need it? There should be information on the website of your DMV.

glad2bhere65 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
That's right, because on very bad, painful days if I absolutely have to run errands, I ask my son to drive me and let me out at the door instead of having to walk thru a large parking lot. I don't have a placard but I can understand those of us who need one using it. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Linda

Trudy292 replied to Kinkatia's response:
Your doctor needs to write out a prescription for the placard and it needs to be worded correctly for the DMV and it needs to have an expiration date on the prescription.

I am sure you can find the details at the DMV website, but your doctor will probably be familiar with the details themselves.

Trudy

booch007 responded:
I also, as I said, I USE IT when I am in trouble/ walking or if the lack of energy has me/or after shots and I am limited....

BUT, I say this in all humility....I limp when I get out of the car!! We have enough trouble with our families, I don't need a scene outside a store with someone who feels I should NOT BE in that spot.......

So a word to us wise broken dragon fighting gals and guys...(just put a limp in your step and you will be fine!!)

This is so sad to admit, but I am very careful to not offend the general public, though I am in a bad place when it is hanging on my mirror...at tiems I also wanted to hang it on my blouse so everyone would SEE today I am in a handicap space for the day......................Hugs, Nancy B

Cadensnana replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for you words... Before my pain was somewhat controlled by medications I had a handicapped placecard. I didn't use it much because I knew there were many others who might need it more than I did. At one time I was in a wheelchair when I would have to walk too far.. I could possibly get where I was going but not back. Now thanks to Morphine I let the placecard run out and was elated when my husband gave away my wheelchair.

You just never know how bad a person feels because you aren't in their body. Do you know how embarrassed I was when I used the placecard because I didn't look sick? I constantly looked over my shoulder wondering who thought I was illegally parked or faking?

Thanks again.

Have a blessed day.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.