Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibro
fibrosupporter posted:
I want to cry reading the discussion tonight, fibromyalgia has such extremes, it seems. A lady at my church told me 'i have it and you can manage, just take tylenol'. When she first told me i had just been diagnosed and the pain i was in, tylenol was not gona help me, i knew. Since then i take lyrica and cymbalta and hydrocodone and all the research i've seen says pain meds don't help but i told my doctor i don't know where they get their info but pain meds DO help. When you are hurting, you get to the point to 'whatever works'. I dont care if i get addicted at this point, i'm just like millions of other women out there. I'm missing some of the most precious times of my life, my childrens lives, and my grandchildrens lives and i feel like people could care less some times, and some times i even think we would all be better off if i would die. Sure they would miss me but they would carry on, they would have too. I just hate that my children and grandchildren will remember me as a person in pain for the length of my 'golden years'. I'm going to the dr tomorrow because now i have a sciatic problem or i think so anyways so now its just another problem. I think the medical community has a long way to go but i hope they get there shortly. Don't think i'm depressed and want to die or kill myself. I'm not going to do that but if anyone with fibro has never thought it, they'd be lying. I would just prefer to be in that beautiful heaven i hear about as opposed to taking pain meds, muscle relaxers, lyrica, cymbalta, tried dlpa (good results by the way), up to 14 or 15 pills a day just to get by. And that isn't a drop in the bucket to what some friends of mine take, one takes 30, of course she has a lot of other problems to go along with her fibro. I guess I should thank the Lord I haven't got all that too... I have joined a support group and it is very helpful, and informative. We try different foods and encourage members who can't come. We DONT sit around and talk about what all is wrong with us. We are currently reading Coping with Chronic Illness, we have special speakers and everyone is free to share. It is biblically based as well and the love of God is always reigning. Besides, whats not to love about a bunch of woman getting together and having a good time?? Just wanta say i love WebMD for this site, I am constantly checking it for new info and my support group has a website is called angelhugsministry.com One thing i have learned beyond a doubt is that this illness is not textbook, for every person that has it, a different treatment works so lets all try to work toward a cure, I volunteer to be the first!!

Take the Poll

Does/was your treatment for fibromyalgia include narcotics? Is/was it helpful?
  • yes/yes
  • yes/no
  • no
vote
View Poll Results

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....I am glad that you have found this unique FM support group....MiMi in NC...you do not say how old you are...but that you are a grandmother...I am one also....and you know....I have never wished to die before...and I am not lying....I have 3 wonderful grandchildren...and I hope to live to see them all grown...now...there have been times when I thought I was going to die...but never wished that I could die...I think that life is too short, as it is..

I would like to ask you to please break up your posts next time...some of us have eye problems...and it is hard for me to keep up with trying to read a long post...by the way....I think that eye problems also go along with having FM....

You are right on having a support system...it is so good to know that there are other people who know and understand just what we FMers deal with each and every day...we are so blessed here to have not one but two doctors on board, Dr. P and Dr. Margaret (see the top right hand corner for more info)...

You can also ask them questions...by putting their names in the subject line of your post...and they will get back with a reply...

I would also like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level...which is so very important for a lot of people these days....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us...and it can also affect other illnesses as well...it is a simple blood test...but you must ask the doctor to do this...as it is NOT included (yet) in the normal bloodwork that they do...

I would also hope that you would share this with your local FM support group....it is common for a lot of us FMers....to have low Vitamin D...

There are all kinds of good "tools and tips" that you can try...and I am sure that you will soon find something that will help you cope better...

I am one of the FMers here....who has learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements...and doing other things as well...I do take Pristiq for depression, which does help my pain...but other than this....I do not take any medicines for FM...

I have read a lot on FM...and I think that the reason doctors do not prescribe Pain medicines for people with FM...is that FM is not a temporary illness....it is a life time illnesses that we have to learn to deal with...and most pain medicines are for short term issues....perhaps recovering from surgeries...

I know that I have had other health issues which I have had to deal with...and I have problems taking pain medicines for anything...I do NOT like the way that I feel when I have to take them...so I would certainly not want to be forced to take them daily....I do not think I could function...

Learning how to pace with everything that we do...is also important for us FMers...eating right and staying as active as we can....it does take a trial and error process...in trying to figure out what may or may not help each of us...as we are all different...what helps one may or may not help another...

I know that sleep is really important for me...and stress is NOT a good thing for me to deal with....I have had family issues which has caused me a lot of stress...and I can tell when things get out of hand for me....it is not good for my mind or my body...this is probably the only thing that I have major problems with....trying to "control things" that I can not do anything about...

I hope that you will post often, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions...

I also hope that you will tell your friends who have FM about this web site...as I happen to think it is the best...
we have some good support here...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

fibrosupporter replied to Dollbug's response:
Thanks for your response MiMi....and ditto to most of your comments.

My support group does actually use info from webmd....it is an awesome site. Angelhugsministry.com is our web and we have many women (and a couple men) from all over the world who are members.....even some that are well that just support us attend our meetings....I understand they are working on having live web meetings in the works.
We just partnered with a church from Africa, so go check it out.

Unfortunately I was having a really bad day when i vented my post but the dr visit got me a shot (steroid), inhaler and he told me to lose some weight.

No blood work tho as it cost 350,00 that we don't have so we stay with treating the symptoms

I'll trust the Lord to get me through it whatever happens.

Penny

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.