Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fevers with FM
tayesp posted:
Does anyone have fevers when they have a fibro flare up?

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC....FM is not suppose to have inflammation so one would think that fever would not be an issue....I tend to think though that FM can cause inflammation....I know that I have had "issues" with a lot of inflammation and the neurosurgeon who did my elbow surgery did not have any idea why or how my elbow got in such a fix...

I put up with a lot of pain for many months...while we were going through a sort of trial and error process....trying to figure out what was going on....I ended up with not being able to use my right arm/hand due to extreme pain...I also had other issues...as I was having shoulder issues also..and hand issues...I ended up having cervical (neck) surgery will fixed my shoulder pain....and then once I recovered from that I had the elbow surgery and hand surgery....this took over 2 years for me to recover from it....I am now finally completely ok though....but it took some time for the doctors to get to the root of all of my health issues and address them all....before I
got any better....

So....with that being said....I also wanted to say that just recently....I have had issues again....I went in and had some tests done...and they found kidney stones...but the doctor did not think the kidney stones were making me as sick as I had been....they ran the light down to take a look at my stomach....thinking I might have an ulcer....no ulcer...but a lot of inflammation....so I am now taking pills to reduce the acid in my stomach....

I do think that FM causes some of us to have other issues...and I also think that this is a part of FM...but again...this is just my opinion based on what I have had to deal with....

I do think that you should address any issues with your doctor...do not just assume that what you are dealing with is FM related...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

xperky responded:
You know, I don't get actual fevers that register on a thermometer, but I get hot and sweaty easily. Just moving a little bit can make me feel feverish when I'm tired or flaring. With me it could be a combo of fibro and menopause.

Do you get actual fevers? I think that would be unusual for FM. Do you have another illness that could cause fevers? I know, for instance, rheumatoid arthritis can cause frequent low-grade fevers.
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

Kinkatia responded:
I actually get anti-fevers during a flare, where my temperature drops and I'm plagued by chills. considering my normal temp is low to begin with, it is very much unpleasant.

I know my mom gets fevers sometimes during a flare, but she's also got lupus, and that makes her more complicated than me.

tayesp replied to xperky's response:
Yes I get low grade fevers. I have mentioned it to the rhemutalogis and he says he doesn't know why. My regular MD keeps telling me that I have an auto-immune disease. But no one has said which one. However whatever is flaring up is really causing me a lot of pain and fatigue.

tayesp replied to Kinkatia's response:
Thanks for all the replies.

I tend to get low grade fevers. I have mentioned them to my rhemutologist and I don't know if he is just ignoring or if he already had me "prediagonosed" before he ever saw me. My regular doctor was suprised at his diagnosis and still says I have an autoimmune disease. Problem is no one seems to be trying to find out what is going on past the fibro. It's all a bit overwhelming and I really don't know where to turn now. My regular doc says the reason she sent me to the rhemutalogist is to determine which autoimmune disease I have.

Anyone got any suggestions? What questions should I ask? How do I get the doctors to pay attention. I feel like all I'm doing is complaining to them......

Thanks!

xperky replied to tayesp's response:
That's a tough situation. I know you don't want to insult your rheumy, but you feel like he's not quite listening to you.

Have you done some research of your own to see which autoimmune disease seems to fit? That may help you come up with a good discussion with your rheumy. Also, FM often accompanies some of the autoimmune diseases.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, although I haven't seen my rheumy again since being to a couple orthopaedics. They think I have an inflammatory arthritis that just isn't testing positive yet. Their approach is to start treatment with an rx of anti-inflammatory and see how I respond.

You might ask if your rheumy wants to start a treatment to see if you respond. However, there are of course risks in taking any medicines. So it's your call there.

I've read that as many as 25% of rheumatoid arthritis patients never test positive in blood tests, but obviously have the bone symptoms of the disease, which eventually show up on Xrays. Just an interesting thought for you!

Good luck, don't give up, and be patient,
Margaret
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion, Margaret

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.