Skip to content
FM and abdominal pain
Scissortail posted:
I have new pain under my ribs in front. Have had recent endoscope and stomach looks great. This was followed with a CTScan and everything is normal. I told the Gastroenterologist, but I still have pain from time to time accompanied with gas, bloating and hard pain. I took mounds of two antibiotics assuming diverticulitis over the last 8-9 months and now wondering if it was that at all. My Physical Therapist is telling me of trigger point in external oblique muscle that can also cause the gas, bloating, and in severe cases vomiting and diarrhea. Has anyone else heard of this trigger point or experienced this? I suggested phy. therapy to Gastroenterologist but I think that is "out of the box" for them. This comes and goes sometimes with 3-4 months in between. It began during a period of high stress last winter.

An_239415 responded:
I have the same thing! I have same thing. Mine actually hurts and then feels like they are numb but not really numb. Sometimes my pants feel too tight or it feels hypersensitive to touch. I have had mine off and on for the past two years. I found that mine comes on when I walk or it is too hot.

squarley replied to An_239415's response:
I to have same thing ,hard to tell what it is either IBS or trigger points or,even costochondritis can cause upper stomach pain,I take xanx when it acts up it has like a stomach relaxer. Stress does make it worse,hope this helps ,hugs Squarley

rudyandirmouse responded:
Linda R here and I too have the same thing(s) going on. It's part IBS and part costochondritis. Pain under the rib cage, either on the left or right that runs from the back of your lowest two ribs to spine. My doctors have told me over the years that there's no rhyme or reason to costo.. it can run days to weeks and sadly even to months in some events.
I find that I tend to get Costo when I'm in a IBS flare and every now and again when in a fibro flare.

And ouch, it does hurt. It fools a lot of people who think it's a heart pain or heart attack, but no, it's costo. But you need to check it out each time as the pain is too close to that of a real heart attack.

I've been been told to take OTC pain relievers such as Advil or Aleve, as directed and I have also been given Voltaren Cream, sparingly to the rib cage 2 times a day. And when I say use the cream sparingly I mean that.

The cream although wonderful goes straight to the liver and if you use more than just a small dab smeared around the effected area of the rib cage you can damage, and I do mean damage your liver. So I use it only when my costo starts, first day or two, and the pain eases and I soon forget about it.

Maybe you can as your PCP about a small sample?

Hope this is of some help to you.

Silvana24 replied to rudyandirmouse's response:
Hello Friends, ))

I had these problems from constipation, gas and bloating for a long time, but after observing a daily basis what food caused these symptoms, I realized that gluten was one of the villains. I stopped eating foods containing gluten, I'm great!

I suggest you watch every day, the appearance of any of these symptoms after meals and record what food caused discomfort. Stay a while without eating the food that caused the symptoms, and after a few days, go back to eating. If the symptoms return halt.

A natural laxative hint: break 01 in 04 plum parts, put a glass of water and refrigerate for 12 hours. Fasting, drink this water.

Take care!

Silvana

Sorry! I am Brazilian and I do not speak English. Use the online translator to communicate with you.

mary632009 responded:
I have fibromyalgia, & yes you do have trigger points on the abdominal wall . I have actually had these injected before by my gastroentrololgist. He did 2 trigger point injections, one about where the large & small colon meet, & the other exactly opposite side on the left primarily in the same location. I did not know I had these until he pushed on them & they were both very tender. I had to have it done again 1 year later. It helped quite a bit with the IBS symptoms I was having of mainly constipation. They did do bllod work first to make sure there was no infection going on as putting a needle in that location could have spread it. Good luck & call around to find someone that does trigger point injections in this area.

FM7Fred responded:
I have wxcruciating pains in the exact same place. I am scheduled for tests with GI. Right now I use hot water and heating pad for relief. I never thought of it being FM. I will inquire with GI when I see him and re-post.

Fibromale59 responded:
I have fibro and osteo arthritis along with other related constant pain. Almost nothing works to stop the pain, neproxsin worked for awhile but then caused bleeding so I had to stop taking it. I was up against a wall so I started doing research online. I have come to find (after a year and a half or more) that the first thing a person has to do is DETOX your body of heavy metals, pesticides and any other chemicals that they might have been exposed to. And don`t kid yourself, we are ALL exposed to poisons every day! There are several ways to detox, I use Chlorella powder and Spirulina, they are available in pill form but are expensive. I use a teaspoon full of each every day. Also, I take Bee Propolis and Royal Jelly which are both anti inflamatory, anti viral, anti bacterial along with other benifits. I have been doing this now for almost a year and my pain level is less than half of what it used to be and I almost never have days that I can`t function. My doctor says that what ever I`m doing, keep doing it because, as he says: I have completely turned my life around. SO, do some research and try it.....

marez46 responded:
I've had fibromyalgia for many years, being diagnosed after the pressure points test was developed, I think in 1990. I lived with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for many years until the last few years. I do get it occasionally, but not as serious as bbefore. I've often wondered if hormones played a part in having so much pain in my muscles and IBS, since its remission occurred about the same time I stopped having periods.

What I do know is that before menopause, I had almost unbearable cramps with IBS, followed by diarrhea, and constipation a day or two later. I remember lying in bed with a moist heating pad, trying not to move at all, because any little movement would arouse that toromenting pain to start again. Although it often seemed to start right under the ribcage, I don't recall any pain going into my back, but into my digestive system, with much bloating and cramping involved. Although the medical community reminds us that IBS is not a serious disease, unlike diverticulitis or Chron's, It had to be up there in the Top 3 experiences of acute pain I ever experienced in my life, along with childbirth and broken bones. I was so debiliated by the pain, I couldn't take care of my family, which only produced more stress and pain. What we women have had to endure would surely boggle a man's mind!

If your PT knows how to alleviate trigger points and can show you how to at home, then that would be an easy fix. I think it's more likely that IBS causes trigger points - just one more thing to contend with!

I remember that times of deep stress, hot, humid weather and extreme cold seemed to trigger a bout with IBS. My daughter, who lives in Tokyo (and also has fibromyalgia), is having enormous muscle and IBS pain right now, because the heat and humidity is almost unbearable in that city of seemingly unending streets filled with highrise buildings that block the sea breeze, miles of pavement that soak up the heat, and AC units blowing hot air out of the buildings into the streets.

I offer you hope that the pain will get better over time, the IBS will come less often and not as severe, and you will find yourself a much stronger person because you weathered it all, including the disbelief by others that your pain can't be that severe. Blessings to you as you travel this road.

Marez46,

Jenipie replied to marez46's response:
I have had abdominal pain for 4 years with thousands of dollars worth of diagnostic tests, only to learn this year that it's probably fibromyalgia. I've found that trigger points work but don't care for the cortisone so have found a doctor who does prolotherapy with ozone. I had shots with this a few weeks ago and am feeling pretty good for the first time in a LONG time!

Anon_2912 responded:
Have they tested you for H Pylori?

livinwithfibro replied to Anon_2912's response:
Most people with FM also have IBS, I've had IBS since I was in my 20's. The pain medicine I use for FM help with my abdominal pain. You still have to be careful what you eat.....

katmandulou responded:
I get the upper pain when I eat some things, like onions, but it usually passes within an hour. About an hour after it leaves the pain heads south, and IBS takes over. I have thought that the upper pain was because I was eating too fast or something!

I saw a gastro a few years ago, and the meds she gave me for the IBS made me sick, but I kept them for awhile in case I got desperate. As long as I know I've eaten something irritating I stay close to 'good' ladies rooms, and I know where most are in my community.
Lou

lauri1974 responded:
I have had the abdominal pain on and off for two years at least. I have all kinds of GI and OB GYN work ups, CT scans and ultrasounds to no avail. I had no idea it could be connected to the fibromyalgia. I am hoping someday to find a good dr. who could consider trigger points or other suggestions for this.

Lushdonna53 responded:
I was so shocked and relieved to read this!! I was diagnosed w/ Fibro in 2007 and last year I started having horrible pain under my lower ribs on the right side. They did all the same tests (even suspecting a PE, Pulminary Embolism), but all were clear. They finally chalked it up to a pulled muscle, but the pain has continued off & on; and is worse with stress or exercise.
Thank you for posting this!! I will be taking it to my doctor!!

Ladonna

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.