Skip to content
Dupuytren's Disease
glad2bhere65 posted:
Does anyone else have Dupuytren's Disease too? It's when knots form in the palm of your hand and your finger(s) starts to bend towards the palm and it's hard to straighten them back out.

I've had this for a while, and it seems to be getting worse, so I just wondered if any of you also have this in addition to fibro.

Linda

maggiethedoglover responded:
Hi Linda,

I have something with my hands, particularly my dominant right hand where my fingers are bending toward the center of my palm. They don't ever "straighten out" Also, when I close my hand to make a fist, it's difficult to open all of my fingers. Don't really feel any knots however and never brought it to my doctor's attention.

Mine is getting worse also.

I'll be interested in other replies.

Hugs,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

glad2bhere65 replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
Hi Maggie,

It sounds like the same problem I have. I put my hands together several times each day and straighten the fingers of my left hand away from the palm to hopefully prevent mine from getting worse. There's no permanent cure for this. If it gets to the point where I can't straighten them, there is a surgery, but I've read that it will come back even after surgery in a lot of cases. You can look it up here on webmd to find out more about it. I hope you're having a good day.

Linda

maggiethedoglover replied to glad2bhere65's response:
Thanks Linda,

Yes, I was aware that there is surgery available and that the chances of it returning are high.

Do you also have carpal tunnel and/or problems with your hands swelling and falling asleep? I cannot do any work that involves using dexterity or repetitive finger motion or I am in terrible pain. I am constantly having to remove my wedding ring because my fingers swell. I hate taking NSAIDs because of the side effects. Just something else to live with.

Soft hugs,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

patfav responded:
I have just been diagnosed with early stage Dupuytren's in both hands. Do you or did you have pain, also? I have a lot of pain! All the info I have read says that there is no pain, except in the early stages. I am looking forward to getting out of this stage. With the fibro, that's all I need--more pain!

They also say that it is hereditary and that more people whose ancestry is northern European have it. My mom had surgery on her hand, but I don't know if it was Dupuytren's. My father's family is Scandinavian, so there's that.

I always check everything to see if other fibromyalgics have it--and sure enough...!

Well, I guess that's more info than you ever wanted to know!

Pat

dollbug replied to patfav's response:
Hello pat and welcome....MiMi in NC....I was reading your post and wanted to welcome you to our FM support group. Sorry that you are having issues with your hands. I do not have Dupuytren and actually have never even heard of it. I have had major issues though with my hands and wrists. I have had 7 surgeries on them with 2 being where I fell outside and broke each wrist....(not at the same time, thank goodness)....my issues have been carpal tunnel and this is very painful as well. I worked on computers for a long time though and I think my issues were from my job.

I do know just how much pain I had though with mine. I hope you can find something that will help the pain that you are having. I have done therapy and exercises and taken medicine before I finally had surgery. So I did want to mention to you what might help you. Hot wax therapy is good and so is soaking your hands in Epsom salts as well. You might also try the Stopain Spray which can be found at walmarts for just under $8....(it is good stuff and works well for me on places where the pain just will not settle down).

I have to also wonder that since you are having pain with your hands, if there is not something else going on with you as well.

I just recently found out that our feet can play a BIG part in other things with our bodies as well. I have Morton's toes and I have had major lower back pain, along with the carpal tunnel and kidney stones as well. I am now taking P5P which is a form of Vitamin B 6 (processed for the body to use)....I can hardly believe that this has helped my lower back pain. (If you need more info on this just google Morton's toes)

I also want to ask your IF you have gotten your doctor to check your Vitamin D level yet. This seems to be something that a lot of people have issues with. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well. It is a simple blood test but you MUST ASK the doctor to check it....as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do.

I was reading up on the Dupuytren and it says that this is mostly found in men. This is why I wonder if indeed you have other issues as well.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

ajnsmom replied to patfav's response:
Hi Pat,

Yes it was extremely painful when the fingers would "pop" to straighten out. This was an involuntary movement and happened a lot during the night. I've haven't had much of a problem with it recently, but I remember wearing a finger brace to bed when it used to aggravate me, to keep the finger straight.

Linda

deansmimi replied to ajnsmom's response:
Hi Linda,

Marie here. I had never heard of anything like this, but for the last 6 mths, my right middle finger has been doing the exact thing, and iis driving me crazy. Is there a cure for it?
I don't find it painful, but bothersome. When I make a fist, then open my hand, all of my fingers strai8ghten out , bu7t that one pops. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

I* have also been in a lot of pain with my right hip. I* have to use a cane and walker. Since I have had this, I also have been having a lot of pain in both knees. I notice lately that the back of my knees are swolloen, so it makes it hard to bend my legs, also hard to go up and down stairs with my cane.

Does anyone else have this problem, or know what is causing it? Any remedys? I never had troubole with pain in my knees before I aquired this hip problem. I also have
very limited reach in both arns,painful shoulders and arm muscles. etc.etc.etc.

Thank you and God Bless ALL!
Marie

missist replied to deansmimi's response:
I have OA in my hands-- the joints/knuckles at the base of the hand are worst-and thumbs. Also have carpal tunnel. I don't think I've heard of that before, I can tell you that I also straighten my hands/fingers as the gal above mentioned-- and have done yoga exercises for my hands too.

Mary

ajnsmom replied to deansmimi's response:
Hi Marie,

I don't think there's a cure for it, but stretching your finger several times a day may help it subside. I wore a finger brace to bed to keep the finger from contracting during the night. You can buy one at most drugstores, not very expensive. Hope this helps,

Linda

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.