Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
exercise and pain
schrode posted:
Good morning All!

I went to my first beginner's yoga class yesterday. It was hard but not as bad as I expected. Last night I felt like a truck ran me over! But this morning I feel okay. I will try to go again next Wednesday.

Deb

forgetful88 responded:
Great job....

Just remember start out at your pace. Moving is the best thing for FM....

Anon_10089 responded:
Good for you and keep it up!

I am a big advocate for exercising but I know it can be tough to overcome the added pain it can cause.

I don't think there's an easy answer for this. I have been exercising regularly for years and I still get pain spikes from it-usually an hour or two after. But overall, I feel better and have more energy. I also do some higher impact exercising that I wouldn't suggest for people with FM and so I know that is part of it.

Be very conscious about your body. It's easy to push a little too much, especially when you're in a class. But as time goes on, you'll learn when to push and when to do a modified move.

It's a wonderful day when you actually look forward to exericise and it feels good!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Well done!

Let us know if you find it improves how you feel over time as you keep at it.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.