Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
First Cold Front of Fall - Good or Bad For You?
xperky posted:
I simply can't move today! Yesterday the first cold front of the season rolled in. I was tired yesterday, but not especially stiff. This morning I felt all achey in bed. The rain was pitter pattering and the room was nice and cool. I wound up sleeping in really late with the kitty, and could hardly move to get up. DH put on coffee and called upstairs to see if I was alright. I decided to get up or I'll never get to bed tonight.

So here I sit, with coffee and all the aches of the flu. Runny nose and hoarse throat too.

I know some of you are energized by the cool weather, as I thought I would be.

I thought we could share our feelings. How are you all feeling with the first cold front of Fall?

Be well,
Margaret
Life is wonderful when lived with love and compassion,
Margaret

angelswife responded:
Hi Margaret,
I notice an increase in my flares and stiffness when the cooler weather starts coming in. The fatigue gets worse too. Part of it for me is, we start losing the light; then it's harder to get up. I don't feel perky at all until we turn the clocks back; then it gets better for a while. But colder weather definitely kicks the flares into high gear. I am not looking forward to winter!

This week has been a challenge, because I've been dealing with a flare and fatigue on top of getting hurt. The cool weather hasn't helped. It's great for working in; but once I get cold I can't get warm again! Then I hurt worse and get stiff. Ugh.

We had a bonfire at the picnic this afternoon. I sat so close to it for so long that I scorched the tips of my sneakers! But it sure felt good to warm up...Now I'm off to a nice warm bed!

maryfibro24yrs replied to angelswife's response:
Cold front? *snivvel snivvel sob sigh* God I wish!!!!!!! nothing dure here for a while yet, still sweating my cahoona's off! A/C still on, still bi***y cause I hate the heat and endless sweating! Then when it does get cold (which it will) I'll be paralyzed. It's like all or nothing down here! I hate it!
Sorry so grumpy just wishing for real Fall and am bored stupid! Really want to scream rght now.....

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Great question, Margaret!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

glad2bhere65 responded:
Oh, no, I hadn't even thought about how bad I may feel this fall. lol Yikes! I forgot that I got fibro in November of 2010. Ugh! So anyway, I'm praying for a much better fall and winter this time around! It's not even cold here yet, in Jacksonville, FL, but we had a couple of cool mornings last week I think. I'm using my electric blanket tonight, mainly because of this flare. A/C running and under an electric blanket, bad for the electric bill I guess, but anything to lessen the pain!

Linda

Momandmore responded:
The cold weather always takes me by surprise, although I should expect the challenges by now.

Our office was having heating issues and was very cool. After a few hours I had to call it a day because my muscles were so painful. I sat with blankets piled on my legs at home. It helps. Although, you're right - once my muscles get cold I have a very hard time warming up. My body is warm, but my muscles feel cold.

I try to cope by limiting my time in the cooler temperatures and keep blankets handy. I even keep one at my desk at work and wrap my legs in it when they get achy.

The cold definately causes more flares for me. Mostly an increase in pain. What to do?

An_240413 responded:
I feel like you do! Where do you live? I live in New Orleans. We also have had a "cool" spell (in the 60's at night, up to 90 by mid afternoon). I go to bed feeling comfortable but wake up absolutely freezing, with very stiff, painful joints. Fall is the worst time of year, when it's still too warm at bedtime to turn on the electric blanket but too cold overnight.

Has anyone noticed increased sensitivity to cold? I did not use to feel the cold like this ("cold" now being anything under 75 degrees).

Anyone have trouble with sensitivity to light? Since I was born night blind, it used to be the more light the better. Now, however, I have to wear a sun visor and sunglasses in the office because I'm so sensitive to the fluorescent lighting. Sunlight is even worse. Incandescent, however, is not near as bad.

Anyone also have trouble with really extreme joints aches when the barimetric pressure falls before it rains, different from the usual pain? That's a real misery, let me tell you. Down here, it rains A LOT.

miakia95 responded:
I hate the cold. I live in the south. The only thing I can think of is that I want to get closer to equator. When it turns cold down here, the cold turns me into fetal position, as all I want to do is get out of pain. I don't know how people who have fibromyalgia live in the north?? mia

jumpinjacks67 responded:
I can ALWAYS tell when a storm is coming in. I start to hurt the day before, even if the weather is gorgeous out! And I live where it is HOT, HOT HOT!
I am not looking forward to cooler temps, and I am even taking a giant leap and moving where the temps are even cooler so I can finish my schooling.
I don't like the 'darker' days either. The light is so important I think, and I believe for those of us that suffer from Fibro, it plays a huge part in our lives. SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is very real.... And I do believe it can go hand in hand with Fibromyalgia a lot.
So gear up everyone! Put on your happy faces and face this fall season with as much as you can muster! I know it will be hard but we have got to let our Fibromyalgia we may have IT but it doesn't have US!

Stellaaa101 responded:
Dear Margaret -

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia back in 2003 so I have been through quite a few cold fronts and barometric pressure changes and I can honestly tell you, that for me, cause a great deal of stiffness and pain. My doctor fas a few other Fibro patients and she told me that every one of us feel worse during those changes. Since we can't control how the weather affects us, we can do our best to make it a little easier on us.

1. Keep tabs on the weather. You can look it up anytime online Educate yourself on how and when those fronts happen.

2. Try to keep yourself as comfy-warm as you can. Having an electric blanket and/or a heating pad handy. Also, they do make small size electric blankets that you can find at places like Walgreens, etc.If you're away from an electrical outlet try layering your clothing, that way you can adjust how much you need without worrying about dressing too warmly.

3. Don't over do it. Usually this is not a concern since the symptoms tend to keep us feeling like not moving. But remember what seaon it is and give your body a break.Try to prepare yourself for this time of year by eating well and exercising, in whatever manner you're up to, ahead of time, (on your good days,) to try to strengthen your immune system the best you can ahead of time.

4. If you find that you feel more blue, more depressed, please know that you are not alone with this. It's perfectly normal to feel sad when you feel so achey, especially when other people around you who do not suffer from Fibro are running around and getting things done. You could try a light box to make up for some of the sunshine we lose this time of year. Some people feel it helps, others aren't so sure, but what do you have to lose? (You can find a small, inexpensive "Happy Light" from the Verilux company without making a huge investment on something you don't even know yet how it will work for you)

Hope this helps. It's a lot of trial and error with what will help YOU. Everyone is different. Which reminds me of one last tip. If you feel up to it try to keep your brain occupied. I am currently taking an online course on a subject that facinates me. If you aren't in for that there are websites like Luminosity that workout your brain with games. Check out their website for more info on exercising your brain and maybe their free trial.

And please, try this mantra: "This too shall pass"
and I promise it will. Keep up the hope!

Stellaaa

napl60 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
perfect quote!!!! that is what i must do..thanks!

Deed22 responded:
Oh my!!! Everything that you mentioned is exactly what I go through. I am truly dreading the cold weather already. I've had my heating blanket out a few days and a few nights in the month of September. The way that once you get the achey cold feeling in your joints you just can't shake it. I have been very frustrated lately mainly because I am going from one pain doctor to the next. I actually just changed my pcp and she is wonderful...She showed me a caring, compassionate and understanding woman with knowledge of FM. I was prescribed the fetanyl patch and it really seems to be working. She may have to go up on the dosage a tad but it works around the clock. I've been dragging the last couple of days and just feel so tired but I am still trying not to just get stuck lying in bed. I am praying for us all, for a breakthrough or something. God Bless you all.

shelien responded:
Hi! New here and new to fibro... Is it just the first cold front of fall for you? I seem to have a hard time (increased pain, fatigue and more prone to viruses) during transitions between the seasons. Just wondering if I'm the only one!

Thanks,
Shelien

4freedom responded:
So glad it's not qiuet cold enough here for it to have put me in a full blown flare up..but that coming from someone that keeps a heating pad in the living room and bedroom full time, and need them often even in the heat of summer.
I just purchased 2 warm super soft throws to snuggle in for the winter...I do require a good 7/8 hours of sleep nightly to function well and that all will change with the wether too.
It is nice to be able to come here anytime day or night, and be able to discuss our painful issues.

~take care~lyn...

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to napl60's response:
You're welcome, Napl60!

Welcome to WebMD, to you and to all of the newcomers here!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.