Skip to content
World Gratitude Day - September 21st
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Even when we're dealing with pain and/or fatigue and the basic struggles of life, we each have good things in our lives and it's a good idea to acknowledge them to remind ourselves that they exist even on the worst days.

For what are you grateful this week/month/year?

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Anon_2912 responded:
I still have the mental ability to deal with FM.

I don't think I ever let it depress me. I have good family & friends. (However, 99% of them do not know my medical issues).

booch007 responded:
Caprice,

Gratitude is a gift. Not all have it, or can attain it. I keep trying. To take a day and think about the good with in it, despite the negative surrounding you....takes tme to acheive. Takes time to hone this skill.

When and if you are successful...there is benefit to the positive. A chemical adjustment for you, a free med. (always looking for a sale, on anything) A free med for me is a deal......

My gratitude is this won't kill me, it has changed me, made me more empathetic to the chronic in life. Helped me hold on to the good day that comes around now and again. Be thankful for the blessings of a famly that tries to help or understand. Though we know there is no one who knows but us.

There are so many challenges that people face in the world, so many so dangerous....such dis-ease that could be present in us. To keep a small corner for gratitude and thankfulness is a good thing. IF you can get there to do it.

Try and make it happen. Good luck, Nancy B

katmandulou responded:
I'm grateful for:
- low-pain days
- my DH, who is my biggest source of support
- my sister, who has shown me you can overcome anything
- my BFF of 40 years, because old friends are best
- my 2ndBF, because... just because!

dollbug responded:
Hello Caprice......MiMi in NC.....I am grateful for a lot.....blessed with so very much.....family, friends and experiences galore.....lots of good ones, some not so much but still learned from all of them....regardless....I am one of those who happens to think that there is a reason for everything.....some of us only "see" what we care to see....I could share things which everyone would sware that I made them up....that all of them could not possibly be true.....but I am one of those people who also sees nothing to gain in lying about anything....and that the truth will set you free.....

I am an old-fashioned person.....have morals, values, faith and respect......especially for those who have earned it.....and I truly try to find "good" in most everyone and everything......

If I am not having a good day today......I always remind myself that there is tomorrow......and hope that it will be better.....as I always remember.....*this too will pass*......

We all have struggles......and a lot of them make us even stronger.....and some even make us wiser.....it just depends on how you look at it and what you see.....

A good post.....and a wonderful day......perhaps this is why my grandson is such a joy to me.......as he was born on this day.....2009....

A good post......and thanks for sharing......I am also grateful for this FMily too........and you Caprice, Dr P and Dr Margaret also.....as I have said before......this is a very unique FM support group....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

schrode responded:
I am grateful for my strong, supportive husband. For my 3 wonderful kids. For my extended family whom I love very much. For my friends and all they do. For the kindness of strangers that donated to the food pantry that has helped us while my husband and I try to find work. I am grateful to all the volunteers that help us with cub scouts and girl scouts.

I am grateful for the medications that help me stay awake and relieve some of my pain. For my doctor who tries so hard to help me. For the roof over my head. For the sweet baby boy my good friend is adopting. For my puppy that helps relieve my stress. I am grateful for this group that understands me and gives me a place to learn and to vent!

I could go on longer, but I will stop here. My heart is full of love just thinking about all I am grateful for even in difficult times.

kimmieclare responded:
I am grateful for a loving husband who truly tries to understand, and is sympathetic to my pain and limitations.

pinkplatypus responded:
Grrrr - I am gonna go with - I am grateful the fire alarm works in our building....

Grrr because my body is not ready for steps & I am on the third floor - down not so bad - up - really bad. I was doing well and making progress this week, now my muscles are blown out and I am on my cane again -grrr - building is not so handicap friendly.

Despite my issues I am still glad our alarms work and I am glad that I have one of the blue hats, bags, & radios (I am on of the two Medical Response people on my floor).

Grateful that I am working and I have a great staff to work with me plus a chain of command that is supporting me and helping me get FMLA paper work done, advanced leave so I don't have leave without pay on my record and look like a delinquent.

I am grateful that I have more things than I need, a nice apartment, great cats!, food in my fridge & cabinet, things beyond the basics & FreeCycle -- tonight I get to gift my nice non-inner spring mattress to someone because I could buy a memory foam topper and bed (Pedic Solutions - QVC).

Car that works, gas in the tank....lots of rocks (OK I love collecting rocks!), my camera, my cool squirrel friends & the birds that are such a joy to watch even when I can barely walk from the bed to the couch I get to watch them. My parents are still alive & I talk to my momma several times a day.

Grateful that I am a cancer survivor/thriver along with a few other things I have survived and the fact that even though FM really sucks it is not terminal.

10 years ago I was teaching a Franklin Covey based time management class and in one of the videos it was emphasing the importance of your big rocks (priorities) and one lady spoke and said "I have cancer but cancer does not have me" - I thought that was so profound and I often repeat that in my head or even out loud.

I am 42 and I plan to live to at least 100 I do not plan to live this was for the next 60 years so I will continue to push forward to find the right combo that works for me with a goal of eradicating FM from my life & hope that medical science is also able to come up with some answers and solutions and I really don't care who gets there first.

Elizabeth Kubler Ross taught that there are 5 stages to grief and that can even be over good change. Denial, anger, barganing, depression, and acceptance.

I may have had a bit of denial as I took in the magnitude of what happened to me, I don't believe in barganin, I have dealt with very difficult long term illness before and triumphed so I have hope not depression - even when I feel VERY bad, I simply refuse to accept that I will always have this, and I believe a bit of anger can be healthy because it adds fire to my will to fight.

OK who knew this would be so long - I guess I just needed to interact w/ like kind after my mini-crisis (pain & weakness) - I get to go home shortly and I am a bit sad that I need to use the cane, but grateful that I accepted that I needed a bit of help and bought one.

Cheers,
Missie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am sincerely grateful to all of you. This community is a wonderful one, with so much support and insight offered over the many years I've been here. It's a wonderful thing to witness.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

angelswife responded:
Hi Caprice,
I am grateful for the ability to be aware of the good in my life, even on my worst days...I am grateful for my Gratitude Journal, which I've been keeping since 1996 (I began it when I was living in my car). Every night, before I go to sleep, I write down all the good things that happened in my day. It is a consistent reminder that there is always good in my life, no matter how ugly it may look from the outside.

I am grateful for this rain this morning, even though it means no work. I will get to curl up on the couch with a cup of coffee and write in my journal. I love starting my morning this way and don't always get to do it.

I am grateful for my "other" journal---my "Dumping Ground". This provides a safe place for me to dump all the "uglies" rattling around my brain so they don't eat into my life. It has saved my life---and my sanity---more than once.

I am also grateful for my childhood, as counterintuitive as this sounds...if I had not experienced so much ugliness then, I wouldn't realize how beautiful my life is now, even with the Fibro. I wouldn't know the joy of having the freedom to live in any way I choose; ( like eating when I'm hungry and going outside whenever I want to!) nor would I experience the recurring delight of waking up in the morning without all those dark shadows hanging over me. I wake up each day and it's beautiful, even though there may be pain and fatigue that I grumble at. My day is mine, and no one else is dictating what I can do with it. That for me is the biggest blessing of all, one that I will never take for granted.

Thank you for a great post...now it's time for that cup of coffee!

shannlee0379 responded:
I'm greatful for my fiance. He's been a big supporter when it comes to my pain levels, and through my journey going into Gateric bypass.

Wolfsong452 responded:
good things in my life,

being able to come to this web site and having all the people here supporting me and others like me.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to angelswife's response:
We have a lot of things in common, Angelswife.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to shannlee0379's response:
I'm glad you have such good support, Shannlee.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Yours made me smile, Wolfsong, thank you.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.