Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it my Fibromyalgia or something else?
Thistledown1973 posted:
I was diagnosed by a Rheumatologist in 2004, and fortunately I have been able to manage my fibromyalgia relatively well and even thrive. However, lately I have been having some odd symptoms and I am not sure whether they are fibro-related or something else.

Lately I've been having more body pain, my hands have been achy, swollen, and stiff, my sternum, ribs, and collarbone areas ache and hurt worse when I breathe deep or stretch/move them. I'm more tired than usual and I've been slightly wheezy.

I'm thinking I should go to the doctor but it will have to be a local doc and not a rheumatologist because I would have to fly to see one (nearest one is 400 miles away...Alaska). I'm just wondering if these symptoms are just more to endure or if I might be ill with something else; I don't want to go to a skeptical doctor and mention fibromyalgia, but I also don't want to "put up with" the way I'm feeling if it may be something different that needs more/alternate treatment.

Any/all help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

annette030 responded:
I would suggest you see your pcp, and tell him about all your symptoms, and about your FMS diagnosis back in 2004. Let him know what you have done to cope thus far, and be clear about what you want to be able to do with proper treatment of your current symptoms.

I am always frank and honest with my doctors, I have never gotten "the FMS is not real" lecture, maybe I am lucky with my doctors, I don't know. I personally do not think you necessarily need a rheumatologist, my pcp has managed my FMS for over 15 years now.

Take care, Annette

newgrandma1953 replied to annette030's response:
I agree with Annette, my PCP is handling my Fibro and I'm satisfied.
take care,
God bless,
Carol

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.