Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
WOOHOO PROGRESS!!
pinkplatypus posted:
G'morning y'all,

It does seem that each week I am making a little progress - last Friday was the first day that I went without my can and went to a meetin off-site to a building where I had to walk pretty far & survived it w/ only sore muscles & sleeping all day Saturday.

Last Sunday as a had-to-do I had to get groceries but then ended up with a day off on Tues - I was lifting stuff in/out of basket/car then carried stuff - the essential in. My upper traps locked down so tight it caused aching bone pain, but the good news it that was the only part of my body that hurt!

A bit ago one of my bird suet holders came up missing - I am positive a coon absconded w/ it again, but couldn't go down/up stairs to find it & it was very muddy out back. This morning, still half asleep and not so light out I decided to go downstairs outback to look for it after I fed all of the critters (birds, squirrels, cats). Well I found it & didn't even have to crawl under the bush. What I didn't consider is that I haven't been able to ascend stairs over the last few months since the DEFCON 5 flare & diagnosis of FM. Oddly I never even thought about the stairs or realized I walked up them until one stair from the top when my left quad started to complain - PROGRESS!!!!

I am now finallly into my recovery phase of all the muscle weakness & insane pain. I am, however finding out that as I start to do very gentle physical therapy (I used to be an occupational therapist) with myself my muscles throb & I can't find anything to stop it.

I would love any suggestions of what I can do to help my legs or my arms & my bum as I start to do more and do some gentle therapy - how can I get rid of the very deep throbbing?

Cheers,
Missie

booch007 responded:
Missy, what I see here is a little med called distraction too. YOUR mind is on the critter thief in your midst and your little furries you care for. MR DRagon (pain) put to the side a bit. It doesn't always work..

Right now, I am in trouble and will take a nap, but focus this day is on Apple turnovers for company from Italy...

Just try and add distarction and projects in to the day to get your focus off the "draggin the dragon" saga we have. Always has been helpful to me.

I still cry, I still hate this. But I was just thinking about this as I was having trouble leaving the grocery store. In the beginning Pain was the forefront. Me worrying about it all, why and what was wrong and OMG how can I survive. Now after so many years...I have become acustome to his presence and respect the boudries and work within the limits of the *game.

Congratulations for your breakthrough. I hope it continues to surprise you in the next few days.

Just don't be like me, if he lets go of me....I OVERDO*****

Be careful. Hugs, Nancy B

pinkplatypus replied to booch007's response:
Nancy

I was a Fire/EMT, did competitive drum corp style marching, cheerleading, am a Army Vet - while in I was on Army run teams & played football on Army teams. I had always stayed fit and have been no stranger to a variety pain - I had 9 1/2 hrs surgery on my head to remove cancer - 100 stitches & was back to work in a week, have done Mixed Martial Arts w/ only large experienced men students way better than me....so the point is I am no stranger to pain - I now naturally without thought surpress an incredible amount of pain so this is above and beyond that - most people would have already went to the ER (not FM folks) - I am even using music w/ headphones & Cranioelectrostimulation Therapy & yogic breathing - but the pain is still coming through and it is due to use of muscles - my legs are really screaming today & upper body. I took a couple things out to my detached garage & moved a couple things around - now I am having lashback.
Last night I loaded a few dishes into the dishwasher and my arms & shoulders really ached.
I have had knee surgery due to a football injury & physical therapy, even in MMA I still spared on one leg after I hurt the other knee & won - could barely walk & it took a couple days to actually finally go to the doc - this beats the heck out of it all.

I understand a bit about the mechanics of what is happening to my muscles - pretty much they are all tight - working them is stretching & tearing some fibrous tissue that has built up & the pain that comes two days later is usually due to little micro-tears in the muscle such as when you are working out - some schools in body building think this is good & some thoughts are Pilates is not destructive like that, however I liken our tight muscles to contractures that develop in patients in nursing homes that don't move & aren't exercised - so we have to move them, there is going to be some tearing, henceforth some pain - there has got to be a way to deal with it so I am not sitting at my desk w/ headphones just breathing the last three hours of work without being able to think because the pain is overruling the brain.

Hugs
Missie:-)

PS I did run to the store earlier to get some Valerian root (used it lots of times) because they way it works, I am thinking it may help - also going to pull out the Cat's Claw.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.