Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does anyone take Neurotin?
Soophie posted:
Hi Everyone, I am just curious if any of you take neurotin? I just started taking it, and don't know much about what it does, or the side effects. I was wondering what your experiences have been when you have taken this drug! My doctor said it will help with my pain, migraines I seem to get on a daily basis!I also just started taking amytriptaline for sleep. Does anyone else take amytriptaline? Did it help you ? If anyone has any info or experiences to share I would appreciate the feedback. Hugs to all of you!!

meeshkainwa responded:
Hi Soophie,

I used to take neurontin. I believe that I took it for about a year. It made me very tired and I could not drive if I had taken it, so I only was able to take it at night. It seemed to help some for a little while. Then I started to have really bad depression. My pain just kept getting worse.

I ended up going to a new doctor to see if anyone could help me. The new doctor told me that the neurontin was a depressant and took me off of it right away. He started me on a new medication for FM called Savella. My daily depression was gone within a few days of stoping the Neurontin. The Savella seems to do a decent job for daily management of pain, but I still have flare-ups.

Hope this helps.
Meeshka

birdlegg replied to meeshkainwa's response:
Soophie,

My Dr. prescribed 3 300mg's of Neurontin at bedtime. This is to help with sleep and pain through the night.

CrazyTaurensWife responded:
Hi Soophie,

I'm taking amitriptylline at night and it usually helps me sleep. It doesn't make me sleepy, but it usually stops the pressure point pain so I can get a full night's sleep. My doctor doubled my dose a few weeks ago. I started at 12.5 mg and am now up to 50 mg.

My dad has suggested I ask the doctor about getting put on neurontin. A therapist he knows has had great results with this drug. I haven't been put on anything for pain during the day. Let me know if it helps you

TNDixChix responded:
Hey Soophie! I have taken neurotin and it's generic. It made me so tired I could not function. I would try to wake up and it was like swimming through concrete. Even on the lowest does I could not tolerate it. I have found out over the years I am very sensitive to a lot medications.

However, my grandmother, sister, and husband all take it for different conditions. They even take pretty high doses and do quite well on it. So - it will all depend on your body! Good Luck!!
Soft Hugs

MagSam replied to TNDixChix's response:
I take neurotin for fibro, but honestly do not think it is helping me at all. If I have to get up during the night, my balance is off and it also affects my vision some. It probably depends on the person though.

4freedom responded:
I tried a very low dose of neurotin to help me sleep thru the night and it was still to strong for me. I was also getting up during the night without remembering, it also made my blood pressure go up and effected my vision.

I then tried the amytriptaline in a very low dose and I can take it..I take a half a amy and a half a flexerill at night to help me sleep..They are both doses of 10mg and I only need 1/2 of each, and may need to increase my dosage this winter as I have been on these amounts for going on 8 months now....

I am super sensitive to medications, and we all react diffrently to them...all we can do is try things until we find something that will benefit us.. we have to take into consideration the other med's we are on if any...as I do take other medications during the day.

~take care, lyn~

Soophie responded:
HI Everyone!! Just wanted to thankyou for all of your replies! I have been on the Neurontin and the Amytriptaline for three days now. I have noticed that the Neurontin helps a little with the pain, but makes me wicked tired, and my balance is off, and seems to dull my senses. What did it do to your vision? Mine has been kinda blurry since taking it!!! I slept most of the day today. Not a good thing!! What a mess starting these new medications can be. I am also on an antibiotic right now and it is making me sick to my stomach. Could be the other meds to! I found that the Amytriptaline is not helping me with sleep. I tossed and turned all night long. I did well on my trazadone, am not sure why she switched to the Amytriptaline. Maybe she thought it would help more with my pain.

Hi Meeshkainwa, I sure hope Neurontin doesn't increase my depression. I already have major depression. Sorry to here that It did not work out for you. I will keep Savella in mind if this does not work out. Thankyou !

Hi TNdixChix, I kinda have a feeling that the same thing is going to happen to me. All I did today was sleep all day long. I hope this is not going to happen everyday. I know I have to take it for a while for my body to ajust to it, but I can't afford to sleep all day long. I need to be moving as much as possible as I am overweight. I also think I am sensitive to medications. Thanks for your input!!

Hugs to Everyone!! Michelle

Fibro36 replied to Soophie's response:
Many yrs. ago, I was put on Neuronton by several different Drs and never saw any improvement from it. Not to say that others won't. My suggestion is to try it for a certain length of time, and not continue it, like I did, when you know it isn't doing any good. I could have saved myself from consumning many pills unneccessarily, not to say what I would have saved on the wallet ! Ha ! I've had Fibro. for 23 yrs, have any and everything done to me possible to find something that would help. After many years of failed efforts from over 30 Dr.I'm now on a morphine pain pump. I didn't make that decision lightly, and it hasn't helped me 100%...but I think, if I have it taken out, I'd see that it is helping more that I think ! Some of you may be at the point that I was, when I made the decision to have the pump implanted. Best Wishes to all of you. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like. my email address is Cindy_Lucas@att.net

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.