Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    New fibro patient concerns
    michreed1981 posted:
    Recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few days ago by my chiropractor. Other MDs would not take me seriously. Of course this is all new to me, and I plan to do the research necessary to lessen my symptoms myself. I do have one concern though that I believe only an MD can help with, or maybe someone else that had the same concern. I realize fibromyalgia is an autoimmune disease, which means my immune system is attacking the good stuff. Should I be concerned about the effects this is having on my internal organs and tissues, and not just focus on relieving the pain?

    Thank you for any help you may have!
    Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Welcome Michreed!

    Are you relieved to be taken seriously and have a diagnosis? I know I was when I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

    This is a great community here, and you'll find tons of support and information. The Health Expert Dr. Pellegrino (Dr. P) and your usual moderator (Caprice) both have fibromyalgia, so this community really understands.

    Now, some people may think fibromyalgia is an autoimmune condition (my diagnosing doctor told me that). However, other people disagree. Unfortunately, while there are a lot of ideas about Possible Causes , no one knows for sure.

    I'd encourage you to ask your rheumatologist or doctor treating your Fibro for his or her expert opinion. He or she has your health history and medical records and can give an answer specific to you.

    I'm sure others will be replying to welcome you and share their stories.

    Please keep us updated on how you're doing,

    fibroinsd responded:
    Hi and welcome.

    As good as it must be to have someone let you know what it is, you really need to get a good diagnoses from an MD. I suggest you find a doctor that treats Fibro...perhaps a Rhumatologist... There are medications that can be helpful, and you need to have someone that can help you with that. You also need to get some blood tests and x-rays to make sure it isn't anything else. You can get a list of doctors that treat fibro at .You can also just call some doctors in your area and ask if they treat fibro, or ask your insurance company if they have any recommendations..

    Meanwhile, I would also suggest you have your Vit. D. level many people here have a low Vit. D. Getting your Vit D. level up can be helpful. Also then you might want to consider taking some good vitamins...and making sure you are getting in some stretching and a little exercise.

    You can read suggestions from others with fibro in the section call either tips or resources...and look for the post called Member Toolbox.

    I hope others, especially Dr. P. can answer your other questions better...Sometimes it takes awhile for Dr. P. to stop by, as he is a busy doctor..but he will get keep checking back.

    Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright
    xperky responded:
    Hi. I agree with cece. It would be good to have an MD who treats Fibro run some blood tests on you. That way you can find out if you have something else that's inflammatory in nature, eg rheumatoid arthritis. Usually it's a rheumatologist that specializes in it. Luckily, Fibro does not attack our organs and kill us, but it does cause all kinds of nasty symptoms.

    It's great that your chiropractor is familiar with FM. That way he can treat you gently while relieving your pain.
    With Compassion,
    michreed1981 replied to fibroinsd's response:
    Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and suggestions! I do need to find a new rheumatologist, however I've about given up on MDs helping me! lol. I had one only test me for lupus, which of course was negative and sent me on my merry way saying he couldn't help me and didn't know why I was here. I had another one flat out tell me he wouldn't see me at all after he read my chart. I tried to get an appointment at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN and they refused to see me as well! So I'm kind of at a loss now really on who to see. My family doctor had been doing my referrals and she has now refused to help me further. She told me if I chose to pursue it more, I was on my own. Thus the chiropractor, a last resort of sorts.

    I don't think I can get into rheumatology without a referral so I don't know what to do.

    I've had various blood tests done, however not to the extent they should have been done, which is why I was trying to get a referral in the first place. My Vit D was low, so I've been on supplements for about 6 months now, and I do take tons of vitamins out the wazoo actually.

    Wow, it just feels so good to vent to people who understand, as nobody around me does. This has been going on since February and has been very frustrating.

    Again, thank you for all the suggestions and help!
    ANGELisMe233 responded:
    I agree, you definately need to see a Rheumatologist, He or she will examine you and look at the meds you are already on and possibly adjust them. Seeing a chiropractor is good and look into seeing a massage therapist. A message Therapist will help to relive some of your pain. I go to see 1, once a month and she does deep muscle massaging on me n it relives pain for me up to 6 hours. Any kind of pain relief is good. I walk every day for some exersize n also go to aquafit n then sit in a hot tub afterwards. I wish you well
    mab2222 replied to michreed1981's response:
    Sounds like it's time to get a new family doctor. I thought doctors were suppose to help people.
    I understand your frustation. I have been at this since July 25, but have a wonderful family doctor who can't get me to specialists fast enough. I think I'm finally on my way to getting a diagnosis and a treatment program. It is scary because you don't know what's happening inside your body, only that you hurt and every twinge makes you wonder what might be going on. Hang it there. Glad you join the support group. I know I am.

    Helpful Tips

    Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    489 of 564 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.