Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
what are your expectations?
Wolfsong452 posted:
this is what someone asked me the other day, when I told them I had quit the counselor at the Pain Management Doctor.

what are my expectations? I'm not really sure.

I know we can't be pain free, have perfect nights of sleep

the only thing I can was this time last year, I felt that we'd finally got the right combination of meds. vitamins etc.

I was walking on my eliptical once a day for 1 hour, there were a couple of times I did this TWICE in one day.

I didn't miss a day.

Then one Sunday morning, I woke up, not feeling bad, in pain, etc. no excuses. I just didn't feel like it that day. I'd been walking on the eliptical for 4 months, also doing wonders about keeping my house clean.

then crash!

haven't been the same since.

If I could just get back that feelings I was having at that time, I'd be happy.

I still had pain, but I was able to deal with it.

now, I don't know,

so what does everyone thing? what are your expectations?

JBirdFletcher responded:
Early one my expectation was to be able to do everything I had been able to do. At that time my boys (3 of them) were young,4,7,10. My husband worked 12 hour nights so they went every where with me. I also worked with exchange students and orgnized all of the state events for the kids. This meant 4 hour drives and camping at least 2 times a year. I also did all of the cooking and event planning at these events. My family and my exchange kido's were my life. I learned to lean on my husband and played the chore game with my kids. As far as my exchange kids, I my husband helped a great deal and I shared some of the daily tasks with the only other 2 people in my area. It helped me a great deal to set goals. My fibro got really bad around that time and I used cruches to get around. Thats when I knew it was too much. I handed the reignes over to one of the other members and said that I could do all of the phone work. It crushed me to do it. My boys picked up a few more chores in the chore game and my oh so wonderful husband did the rest. I was able to find a doctor that helped me get back to "almost" normal and that is were I am today. Living day by blessed day and setting goals that are much simpler. I still love to cook so that is my daily goal. Any thing else that gets done in the day just makes me feel all that better. So Live Day by Day and make your goals reachable.

fibroinsd responded:
wow...great question...and just not sure how to answer it...My answer, I think, would depend on the day...

I am now able to do a three hour a day job..which I couldn't do when I first started with all this...so that is good...

I was trying to exercise everyday...but I have been on this weight loss plan now since March...and I keep track of everything..and sometimes when I exercise, I find that the weight does not come off...I know it sounds crazy..but I eat the same thing basically each day...and some of the days I exercise...my body tries to "keep" the weight...so I am trying to exercise...but not too much..it is almost hard...If I get on the treadmill...I want to go for more than a half hour...at a half hour...I feel like I am just getting warmed up...but I feel like I should stop...and that is what I need to do for now...so I am going to try and just do enough, so that my muscles don't get too lazy..but I am not doing too much..

So, I guess...my thing is trying to realize, that I am trying to build up a rather depleted body...and I need to keep it strong...not easy..

I think you have come so far...and you need a pat on the back for all you have accomplished...so, hang in there..try not to overdo it..but to do a little each day?????

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

TomJust responded:
In a consultation with a Physical Therapist about 3 weeks ago, she asked what I expected to get from PT. I pointed to her 21 year old male student intern and said make me look just like him! (I'm 53).
After she told me she was a PT and not a magician, she asked what I expected in the real world...
It was a harsh awakening when I told a doctor that my pain was so bad that when I'm in the shower, I have to put the shampoo in my hands and lower my head because I can't lift my arms. The doctor said...GOOD! You'll learn things like that. I knew then that things wouldn't ever be the same.

Wolfsong452 replied to TomJust's response:
this is pretty much what my pain management doctor told me, I've torn my rotator cuff, they said it couldn't be fixed. Since I"m able to move my arm around, though not able to lift any weight over my head. They told me to learn to cope with it.

well now that makes it hard, when it's my dominant hand, so, whenever the arm or shoulder is fareing up then the FM will flare up.

a visous circle.

forgetful88 replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Wolfsong452; Why can't they fix your rotator cuff? Mine was surgically fixed. ...But I also had other issues wrong with it They did open shoulder surgery & I did my PT & NO ISSUES..My are is back to normal...maybe NOT as strong, but no pain & have all the movement..

Wolfsong452 replied to forgetful88's response:
I've been told by more than one doctor, even my pain management, that the atrophy of my rotator cuff is to much. There is no way for them to stretch it back out to anywhere close to normal.

I understand that I have another tear, that is more like a shred. This one also can't be fixed, due to the kind of tear it is.

They also feel that since I have full range of motion then I just need to learn COPING skills to relearn how to do things.

total bummer!

I hate my employer that caused me to fall, then the delay of getting an answer.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.