Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Don't eat night shade vegetables-and being at our best
Pandorica posted:
I have just found out about how much these effect us with Fm. Just wanted to let others know not to eat peppers potatoes,tomatoes,eggplant, and any spices in Tabasco. For me this is soooo hard. I basically can eat greens ckn and glutin free sugarless things. I love food but would rather feel better and be able to walk around like I use too.No wheat, Dairy,sugar and caffeine, I'm having a hard time going no sugar,it seems to be in so many things. I have stevia at home and my try baking food I can eat.

I'm about 5 years into my diagnosis at 37. I've been better then I Am now. I am determined to feel as good as I can. Streching all the time and sticking to a strict diet I believe will get me there. I know some of you say there is no remission but I know there is much better state we can be living in. I'm calling it my Mission for Remission.

I would love to here from others who are also on this mission.

Wolfsong452 responded:
total bummer

I love potatoes, pasta, bread, sugarless<WHAT?>

Caffeine, even worse, I love my sodas, hot tea,
don't like tomatoes, so-so on the eggplant, I like hot sauce, but, only certain brands.

Pandorica replied to Wolfsong452's response:
I thought that for a little bit too, but the thought of feeling better makes it worth it.the alkalines that are ithese foods are like poison to people with FM. Potatoes are on the low end but don't eat peppers! As Much as I love food I've decided to do what ever it takes not to suffer like this anymore. Oh my goodness that soda has to go. I was a soda drinker my entire life and I fought it a bit but now I just drink water,it's the best thing for us. My pain has been crippeling,how long have you had FM?

Anon_408 replied to Pandorica's response:
You are right on the Alkaline, I was given a alkaline diet to read up on by a friend, and it does look difficult, and confusing to follow. She swears by it though.

The diet soda's, caffiene's, acidic foods, are all part of it. It requires balance. If I can find the website, I will try and post it.

OK, here it is, lots of info, if anyone interested!

http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/

Pandorica replied to Anon_408's response:
Great thanks. I am researching more every night and am applying what is good for me. I'm feeling better everyday for the first time.This thing we have does not have to be the end of our happy life,we just need to baby it and take good care of our bodies which are a gift to our

Deansmimi replied to Anon_408's response:
thank you so much & God Bless You!! Hope it works for me

Deansmimi

Wolfsong452 replied to Pandorica's response:
ahh bummer!

potatoes, bell peppers, sodas, hot tea the kind with caffeine.

tomatoes I don't have to worry about, unless it's a spaghetti sauce or catsup or the tomatoe sauce that is put into chili.

bummer!

Momandmore replied to Wolfsong452's response:
I've given up the nightshade vegetables since January and my pain probably reduced by half. I actually have days of no pain, at least not related to Fibro. I would always complain of swelling especially in my hands. There was no reason my doctor could identify. When I gave up these vegetables the swelling went away! It turns out potatoes make me swell.

I find that I have many sensitivities to many things and it is worth paying attention to identify what they are. I recently gave up dairy, and am thinking of trying gluten free. If it helps, I can do it. If not, I add it back in to my diet.

If there is any way I can make improvements I am willing.

MNJeepguy replied to Momandmore's response:
I'm trying realy hard now to improve my diet and take it out of the equasion. Oh, I cant spell any more either. Night shades are bad for type A blood (me) and fibro, (me), plus I am finding I'm Gluten sensative, and adore my coffee. I feel your pain.

annette030 responded:
I don't think diet really affects FMS, as far as any specific diet being good for us or not. There has been no medical studies that prove this that I am aware of.

That said, it is not too hard to change your eating habits, and as long as you don't go crazy and keep your basic nutrition good, all will be well. If you feel a different diet will improve how you feel, go for it and see what happens.

Take care, Annette

Wolfsong452 replied to annette030's response:
not to hard to change your eating habits?

hmmm,

as I'm looking down at my fat belly,

I keep telling it, change, change change!

hhe hee1!!

fibroinsd responded:
I have lost 60 pounds on medifast..and it has made my tummy problems practically go away. On this diet, I eat five of their "meals'>>.bars and such..and then one "Lean and green"..which means protein like, chicken, steak, etc...and then greens..such as lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, etc...and I have had NO problems with them..so I don't think this advice hits everyone...

Oh yea..I still have fibro..but it is so nice not to be carrying around that extra weight...I still have more weight to lose to get to my goal..but so so glad I found something that works..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.