Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Have you tried Physical Therapy?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
According to the American Physical Therapy Association, physical therapists teach self-management skills to people with all types of conditions, including fibromyalgia . Physical therapists can show people with fibromyalgia how to relieve symptoms of pain and stiffness in everyday life. These health care professionals teach people with fibromyalgia how to build strength and improve their range of motion. They show them ways to get relief from deep muscle pain . And they can help people with fibromyalgia learn how to make sensible decisions about daily activities that will prevent painful flare-ups.

All the above is according to this WebMD article:

Fibromyalgia and Physical Therapy

So, have you tried physical therapy specifically for Fibromyalgia and what was your experience? If you've not tried it, what are you waiting for?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
FirstPrevious12NextLast

pcfulone responded:
Yes I have tried PT. My insurance paid for a couple months worth of visits but I am sorry to report that it was not one bit of a help. I do admit that it made me force myself to physically exercise but that was not always a good thing either. A couple times I was having such a bad day that I cried through the exercises they gave me and couldn't wait until I got back home to take a pain pill and lay down. The heat and massage therapy probably helped the most but the exercising was useless in the long run.

I had two therapists. The first one didn't push me to do anything and when the second took over she made me do too much. I ended up hurting more at times.

My experience was, the heat and massage were great but overall PT does not help.

georgia888 responded:
Please use PT with caution. My pains initially began in the neck at which time my PCP recommended PT. The exercises prescribed actually worsened my condition. My fibro became full blown one night after using the stretch bands.

I've always been a firm believer in exercise but it must be of a very gentle nature when one has fibro (or the beginnings of).

I have found warm water therapy to be the best treatment. It's amazing what our bodies are capable of while in water.

Take care,
georgia

angelswife responded:
Hi Caprice,
I haven't tried PT for Fibro. My insurance would cover it for some things, but Fibro is not one of them. A typical 1-hour session would cost me over $100, and I don't have that kind of money to throw around. If I did, I'd spend it on a far-infrared hot tub, lol!

1wareaglefan responded:
Caprice, I've wanted to give it a try, but I'm like Angelswife...I don't have the money, since I'm retired now.

It's a darn shame that things that may really help us cost the most.

Wolfsong452 responded:
tried the PT for FM and also for my rotator cuff.

it always made me feel worse than I did when I came in. We were having therapy 3 times a week.

seems like they wake up EVERYTHING!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
It's really interesting to read all your responses. Keep 'em coming, both the positive and the negative.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

JMC_z3 responded:
Hi Caprice,

When I first tried it last year, it did not help and I was anemic, in constant flares. When I finally got my vitamin deficiency under control and also my thyroid, I started Physical Therapy a month ago, 2 appointments per week which includes warm Pool therapy exercises. Overall, this combination has helped me alot, I can actually drive more than 15 minutes--before I used to get bad tendonitis in both elbows, but I recently drove 1 hour and 30 min. on one day and had to drive about half a hour each day for a week. I had more energy and was able to move more.
Although I do get sore the next day, mostly in the morning with sore muscles in my back(from sleeping on it) or my ankles still feel stiff, they eventually feel better in the afternoons.

I'm still continuing with Physical therapy and Pool therapy. I surprised my husband today--I actually went down to the basement and put some laundry in, usually he has to do that! I'm hoping I still feel this same way next month and the other winter months--those are my worst months of the year. I just got so tired of not being able to go anywhere, do anything, I just made up my mind to push through some of this pain and make sure I dont overdo it, but realize there will be some pain at the beginning but it does go away. I am not 100% but I feel a whole lot better than I did before, I'm very determined to keep going.~~J

reesespeaces responded:
Yes, I have tried PT and posted about my first experience which was quite negative. the therapist used trigger point pressure which was very painful the next day. Since then I have made it clear I don't want any grinding on my pressure points and that exercise is not really helping, it makes me more sore all over. Now she is using a very light touch and something called 'V-Spread', which is an energy exchange technique, and it seems to be helping somewhat, so far. I don't get the feeling that it is going to cure me, but may relieve pain on a limited basis.

talkfibro9 responded:
Yes, I tried PT for a few months. I had a very good therapist....had been to others that were not so good. I hope to go back at some point. I had to stop because of worsening chronic insomnia and just didn't have the energy to go or to cope with the pain from the exercises when I have not been sleeping well.

JBirdFletcher replied to talkfibro9's response:
When I my Fibro got to the point that I could not walk unassisted and all of the medications my doctor was giving me were of no help I found a local chiropractor. He recomended ajustments, physical thearpy and massage thearpy 3 times a we ek. At first PT would leave me in such pain that I did not want to go back. My first massage thearpy session was the worst. Within an hour my whole body had swelled so bad. I called him back. He asked me to come in so that he could see the results. When we got back to his office he fired the massage thearpist on the spot. I did all he recommended for 3 years. By the end of the first 6 months I was able to walk unassisted and my pain had drasticaly reduced. If my insurance would cover it hereI would still be doing it but alass they wont.
Keep moving

katmandulou responded:
I tried PT for specific pain, and the benefit lasted as long as I was going 3 days a week - then the insurance coverage expired. I really wanted something that would work long-term.

I find yoga very helpful; I take a class once a week. The instructor holds a "restorative" class once a week for people getting through PT or OT issues; recovering from surgeries or injuries; or people with CPS, or FMS. Almost two years after starting I can get through a 'regular' class, adapting poses to my own needs. I try to spend some time during the rest of the week in a self-driven yoga session, but I haven't found time lately. I'd love to take two classes a week, but it's not always possible.
Lou

fibrofatiguethyroid responded:
Hi, Annie here,
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!
I have been going to a physical therapist since 2005.
She has been a godsend.
It took about a year for me to experience lasting results in my neck and shoulder. I have degenerative disk disease in my neck along with fibromyalgia and myofascial pain.
My physical therapist had been trained in fibromyaligia and releasing trigger points ( I had well ver 100 trigger points).
This was important because in the past I had physical therapists, occupational therapists and a chiropractor with very mixed results.
It is very important that the therapist is trained in releasing trigger points along with hands on knowledge of working with fibromyalgia patients.
I understand that it is expensive, but I am fortunate enough to have insurance that pays for part of it.
It allows me to lead a more normal life.
I consider it part of my tool bag.
Without it, I start sliding back into the pain zone that I use to live with.
Let me just say that I almost gave up before my first year was up. It was right at the end of the first year that I felt lasting results.
I also have a doctor who has no problem in renewing my physical therapy when my sessions run out.
I hope and pray for everyone's well being.

Annie (fibrofatiguethroid)

l

maggiethedoglover responded:
Hi Caprice,

I tried physical therapy before my fibromyalgia was diagnosed, when my main complaint was severe back pain, mostly on one side. They used the heat wand for about 15 minutes and then did soft massage, targeting knotted up muscles. I loved it but it only helped for a few hours before the pain returned.

They really didn't show me any exercises. I think I may ask my doctor to refer me again as I believe my insurance will still cover it.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Soft hugs to all,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.